• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard student told to move due to legal firearms, after roommates search her room

Thats incorrect in many ways as indeed I was a landlord for over 20 years in Mass. In addition if you put something in the lease agreement and it is agreed to by the tenant, you can evict. Now can they try and play games, sure, but if you know the system well that lasts about a month. Can they wreck the place before they depart? Yes and in those cases they ended up in court paying for it. Best tenants I had were section 8 and newly arrived immigrants, had very few issues and some great food and homemade booze from them. As I said before when they sign the agreement, thats it. Ive evicted for drug use, abuse of the property, non payment, etc. and it worked out ok through the court system.

In this case the tenant is not evicted "yet" and because I dont know what her rental agreement looks like I can only assume. From the letter her Landlord sent , it appears there was no clause banning firearms in the rental until (good for her), however she was given the OK by the local LEO that indeed she was obeying the bizarre storage laws we have and was in compliance with the local laws on her possessing the firearm. She is set to go through her interview with the CLEO this month (lets just hope he does not get politically influenced to deny her).

So yes tenants have rights, but lets not play it like they are the supreme beings of all rental land, they are not.

Only a month to evict in MA, seriously. I think every other landlord in MA, including those in this very thread have a lot to learn from you then bud. [rolleyes]

Only a month to evict in MA, seriously. I think every other landlord in MA, including those in this very thread have a lot to learn from you then bud. [rolleyes]

As I said in my post if you know the game, which I learned the hard way, it can be done. this was in Lawerance and lowell if that matters. I will say my first experience where I learned how it should not be handled was someone who leased everything under their mothers name, who just happened to be a senior and completely void of her mental facilities. Now that took a few months but it was a one off. otherwise, paperwork and a good lawyer speed things up. I did leave that business back in mid 2000 but that was because uncle sam wasnt as nice to rental income as he once was.

Can she charge the roomroomates for tresspass?
Im not sure what it takes to evict a healthy single white women in in this state.
I can tell you its hard as hell to get a protected class woman with child who was not even supposed to be living there out.
Short story
My dad rented to my brothers single friend as single tenant only as per rental agreement. Few months in girl is over on weekends , year later shes there all the time. My dad documents the best he can and installs out side camera and starts logging whos coming and going. Dad says ok shes LIVING here I want more rent. Tenant hems and haws where moving out in 3 months. 6 months later shes with child.
My dad proceeded with eviction at the 3 month point.
Basically tenant was ordered to vacate. Which he did but the girl stayed and said . "You cant get rid of me im having a kid soon" my dad did everything he could legally and it took 2 years to finally get her out.
Soon after we got the tenants from hell in all but one unit.
My dad sold all the property over this. Only property kept was single bedroom cottage down in middleboro. Old lady was great. Paid up front for several years at a time with a little deal with my dad that if there is more 3 months rent in the account to donate the balance to the local womens shelter.
When she died my dad gave the house to my mom who sold it.
I had friends that rented out their home on the Cape. Took two years to evict tenants that were literally running a brothel out of the home

Can they wreck the place before they depart? Yes and in those cases they ended up in court paying for it.
More likely, the landlord can get a judgment that will never be paid.
I had friends that rented out their home on the Cape. Took two years to evict tenants that were literally running a brothel out of the home
There is a certain number of rental days (may be 30) that causes the occupant to have the legal rights of a tenant rather than of a hotel room renter.

Should have used some of that to put a lock on the door... I can’t imagine trusting a bunch of Harvard room mates to not be nosy entitled jerks. Of course then they would bitch to the landlord about the lock and say they feared the worst!!! Can’t fight the mentally ill, and they sound it.

Putting a lock on the door would probably violate the lease.

I. Yeah.

One of those crappy shitty 6k for 4 poor students places. Friend had an issue where her ex BF and one of her room mates we're friends. She woke up with him standing above her bed peeing on her.

He said she's said crap happened. I drove up and installed a deadbolt in her door.

Landlord charged her something like 12k in damanges and tried to play the "you now pay the whole lease for 6 months game with her when the ex bfs friend skipped out.

Sure the door was 90 years old. But 12 k for a dilapatiated piece of old wood with thirty coats of lead paint on it?

Landlord charged her something like 12k in damanges and tried to play the "you now pay the whole lease for 6 months game with her when the ex bfs friend skipped out.
But did he actually collect?

And she likes dogs

leyla.jpg

As I said in my post if you know the game, which I learned the hard way, it can be done.
Are you saying one month until the judge says "you have to vacate" or one month until your eviction mover shows up with a sheriff to forcibly remove the person and have the stuff put in storage at your expense?

There is a difference between the two.

Are you saying one month until the judge says "you have to vacate" or one month until your eviction mover shows up with a sheriff to forcibly remove the person and have the stuff put in storage at your expense?

There is a difference between the two.

For example i had a tenant who decided to rip up the place and have a wild party. I sent him a notice he violated his lease and would have to vacate the premises. 3 weeks later he was served with an eviction notice and 30 days he was out. The place was damaged but he and his roommate were gone. Then they got to sit and court and be sued for the damages which they paid. Other than that, I have had other i just informed them the violated their lease and had to leave , sometimes no eviction notice needed and they were gone. It is a game that they play, I’ve just played it longer and not once did I have someone who just stayed in for months and refused to leave

Just saw her on Fox and Friends. Says she's heard from dozens of lawyers--didn't mention if they were from NES.

For example i had a tenant who decided to rip up the place and have a wild party. I sent him a notice he violated his lease and would have to vacate the premises. 3 weeks later he was served with an eviction notice and 30 days he was out. The place was damaged but he and his roommate were gone. Then they got to sit and court and be sued for the damages which they paid. Other than that, I have had other i just informed them the violated their lease and had to leave , sometimes no eviction notice needed and they were gone. It is a game that they play, I’ve just played it longer and not once did I have someone who just stayed in for months and refused to leave
I served a pre-eviction notice on a drug dealer (reason for very fast legal process). He vacated prior to the court date.

I served another on someone who rented 1/2 a duplex, it took them 11 months to evict him and his family. You get a judgement but almost never does the landlord collect on the judgement. Those folks don't care how trashed their credit rating will become, they are professional deadbeats.

Harvard student,
but she doesn't know what "CONCEALED" means.
Here's a thought experiment about the age when people learn to STFU:

Don't think of an abuse survivor with a CCW,
rooming off-campus with 5 snowflakes in the PRM.

Imagine a stoner with some pot,
rooming off-campus with 5 devout roommates
at one of the (vanishingly few) colleges with
actual anti-drug policies, located in a pro-pot state.
(E.g., Hillsdale or Calvin Coolidge in MI; Pepperdine in CA).

When asked, the roommates say:

"We became alarmed at her tie-dye T-shirt,
so we ransacked her room looking for her stash.
We're not saying we found anything,
but we confronted her afterwards."

Even given the liberalizing pot laws in these end times,
what is the likely outcome from the average coed?

"She said 'muh history of teh glaucomas',
and showed us a note from her eye doctor.
But we're afraid she'll go schizo and murder us in our sleep,
so we told the Dean we want her expelled."

-or-

"She angrily denied everything, told us to MYOB;
and we hear her father called a lawyer.

Now four of us are thinking of blaming it all on
the one of us who said 'we should break in to her room'."

Can people really enter Harvard without seeing even one
"I don't answer questions" traffic stop video?
Because passive-aggressive works on roommates, too.

I served [a pre-eviction notice] on someone who rented 1/2 a duplex, it took them 11 months to evict him and his family. You get a judgement but almost never does the landlord collect on the judgement. Those folks don't care how trashed their credit rating will become, they are professional deadbeats.

(Not that I've ever been a landlord, but) perhaps the single most profound
piece of advice I ever saw in Digital REAL_ESTATE notes was:

When evaluating a prospective tenant,
don't just call their current landlord -
if they suck, he'll say anything to get rid of them.

Always follow up references to prior landlords.
They have nothing to lose,
and will tell you the truth.​

Well, Len, the Intarwebs have moved onwards.
It's got to be easier than ever for smart landlords
to see if a tenant has a judgment against them.
(At worst, landlord lawyers ought to charge less for the research).

Since the hardest part of landlording is finding reliable tenants,
there's got to be a huge market for addressing that need.

I served a pre-eviction notice on a drug dealer (reason for very fast legal process). He vacated prior to the court date.

I served another on someone who rented 1/2 a duplex, it took them 11 months to evict him and his family. You get a judgement but almost never does the landlord collect on the judgement. Those folks don't care how trashed their credit rating will become, they are professional deadbeats.

I agree if they are derelicts it won’t matter. In one case they initially told me to shove it and they weren’t paying. 6 months later they settled because I trashed the guys credit. Aince I had to sign off with the court indeed he paid up I made sure to delay it as long as I could to burn him just a bit more.

(Not that I've ever been a landlord, but) perhaps the single most profound
piece of advice I ever saw in Digital REAL_ESTATE notes was:

When evaluating a prospective tenant,
don't just call their current landlord -
if they suck, he'll say anything to get rid of them.

Always follow up references to prior landlords.
They have nothing to lose,
and will tell you the truth.​

Well, Len, the Intarwebs have moved onwards.
It's got to be easier than ever for smart landlords
to see if a tenant has a judgment against them.
(At worst, landlord lawyers ought to charge less for the research).

Since the hardest part of landlording is finding reliable tenants,
there's got to be a huge market for addressing that need.

Lots of wise advice there! Some landlords just want to pass their sh*t into someone else

Saw the Fox and Friend's interview too. Even better looking than in her photo. Not that, that matters... [smile]

Rights Firsts!...Right?

She can move in with me...sup

Also if expressly written into her lease she can legally be asked to leave if not .. well kick rocks.

Last edited:
Wait until you deal with a Section 8 professional who knows the system. They just say no and play the game.

Wait until you deal with a Section 8 professional who knows the system. They just say no and play the game.

My best tenant of all time was a section 8. Had them for 7 years and never an issue. I knew they were gaming the govt system not being married etc but nothing I could do about that. I will say the girlfriend made me almond cookies every month so maybe I was just hooked on those LOL

Back
Top Bottom