Guns are a health problem now it seems

It's an MD who is attempting to ban all shooting and hunting in Ipswich.
Go ahead and tell her you own guns. Child Protective Service knock on the door in 3..2..1..
I'm so grateful mine's almost 18 .
There is no way in hell I would ever leave a young one alone for interrogation these days.
My heart guy knows I own guns only because we had to have the conversation about if I was GTG hunting.
He's a younger guy and pretty cool, never hunted himself but he's always asking how I did and if I have pictures.
My primary care on the other hand? No way.
She comes across like a moonbat's moonbat.
I would be very uncomfortable telling her anything along those lines.

My doc is a gun guy.....otherwise I'd ask if his wife has a vibrator, both are tools...but it's none of your business if someone owns one

I always remind this crowd that "Preventable Medical Errors" are the third leading cause of death in the U.S. You are quite literally ten times more likely to be killed by your doctor as you are to be killed by my gun.

But Wait !!!

Maybe we are going about this all wrong? Maybe we should encourage this line of thinking and DEMAND that our public schools teach BASIC FIREARMS SAFETY in health class. They need to wake the hell up. The guns are not going anywhere. We need to teach kids how to safely handle a discovered firearm. Especially urban kids.
Find your big brothers GAT stuffed between the cushions of the couch where he passed out in a stupor ? Don't point it at your little sister and pull the trigger. Got a pellet gun that looks realistic? Do not point it at a cop. Final exam could be pulling the slide of a loaded Beretta 92 that is pointed at them, like Jet Li and some NESr's claim to be able to do.
The D.A.R.E. program uses displays that educate and familiarize kids who have never seen street drugs. It is a better approach than pretending that drugs are not out there. If doctors and schools really give a shit, they would teach kids the basics. And a percentage will gain interest in guns.

Guns should just be declared a disease and .gov should dump massive resources into feeding the disease after all they do it for the addicts....,
I never really got along with my doctor. Although the gun thing is a non issue either he reads me or he doesn't give a shit. I lean heavy on the 2nd. He's no moved on to a higher level in the "practice" so he won't be actually seeing patients anymore.
I'm tired of the BS about guns being a problem. Nothing has changed since the beginning of time. We got people problem....
Doctors won't even begin to discuss the drug epidemic not opiodes but the psychotropic stuff. 8 million plus KIDS last I read.... ask a doctor about Doctor Negligence ....argh.

If asked just tell them it's not so much the guns but the LSD washed down with cough syrup that is causing problems.

Oh, many speak out about these types of policies. Part of Obamacare is to eventually pay doctors based on results. So, if your cholesterol, sugar, BMI, blood pressure, etc. all meet government standards, the doctor makes more money. If you keep smoking, eating donuts, and buying larger pants, the doctor will be penalized. So, your MD may end up chasing you out of "hot wing night," or your Friday night cigar & poker game. More likely, he'll just kick you to the curb, so you'll end up in the Medicaid clinic, not costing him any dough.

There'd certainly be some type of risk-adjustment model, so CMS/IRS or whoever would also penalize your ass for treating only healthy patients.

My doc is a gun guy.....otherwise I'd ask if his wife has a vibrator, both are tools...but it's none of your business if someone owns one

Another aspect is that we are in New England, and we largely hear the opinions of our (Ivy League Educated) local, quasi-medical organizations. I guess when the progressives took over the educational system, they got the majority of the medical education system, by default. Most of these programs & hospital systems are in inner cities, where they must, of course, serve the underserved. This involves governmental monies (Medicare/Medicaid) to keep them afloat, since their patients can't pay. Some of this money also goes to pay for medical education programs (that's who pays interns, residents, and fellows....doctors in-training). So, like everything else, you must not bite the hand....

There'd certainly be some type of risk-adjustment model, so CMS/IRS or whoever would also penalize your ass for treating only healthy patients.

Not really. Surgeons already do this in some cases, "cherry picking" patients so that their stats show much lower complications. Their pay and hospital privileges depend on it. If their complication rates are higher, they lose O.R. time and dough. Superficially, it might sound preferable to eliminate crappy surgeons, but the reality is that some surgeons will call you back at 2 am when the HIV positive, drug addict needs his mitral valve replaced emergently, and some will say they never got the message.

One of the real problems with this is that doctors don't know how to talk about guns or gun safety past the talking points. My wife had a physical this year and got asked about guns in the home. The doctor was just unprepared to have a discussion once my wife proudly answered in the affirmative and yes, of course, they're stored safely.

They're checking things off a list. They don't know how to have a conversation about this.

On the other hand, my doctor doesn't ask because he knows. He knows because we talked about lead exposure years ago. Since then he's wanted to go shooting.

It's an MD who is attempting to ban all shooting and hunting in Ipswich.
Go ahead and tell her you own guns. Child Protective Service knock on the door in 3..2..1..
I'm so grateful mine's almost 18 .
There is no way in hell I would ever leave a young one alone for interrogation these days.
My heart guy knows I own guns only because we had to have the conversation about if I was GTG hunting.
He's a younger guy and pretty cool, never hunted himself but he's always asking how I did and if I have pictures.
My primary care on the other hand? No way.
She comes across like a moonbat's moonbat.
I would be very uncomfortable telling her anything along those lines.

My primary care is the opposite. He's a PA, not an MD, but I have no qualms about discussing guns with him - the only time he asked gun questions was in reference to my back problems. Asked if I carried, what, how, etc. Suggested throwing away the cheap holster and getting a higher end IWB or belt holster, and switching to a smaller and lighter carry gun - even put it in writing to help get it past my wife. Better holster and belt DID seem to help with the back, too.

A lot of people seem to never even entertain the notion of shopping around for the primary care that suits them best. I look at it the same as finding a mechanic, or lawyer, or landscaper. I don't want someone I don't trust handling medical stuff for me. There's danger in that. I'm much happier having a PA that listens to me, knows his limitations, and doesn't hesitate to refer me out when warranted, than an MD that reads what the nurse wrote, ignores me, writes out a scrip, and walks back out without saying more than a dozen words. And those words are usually "come back in a couple weeks if it doesn't get better."

When I went to my doctor while CC, I'd put the gun, in the holster, on top of my clothes. He'd read the list smoking, drugs, guns, etc. I'd answer no,no,no.. Neither of us missed a beat, neither of us cared. He's a doctor, not a cop, a lawyer, or a priest. If you worried about you doctor knowing, change doctors.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

"Guns are a health problem now"

health problem to who? Me? or those who try to take our guns away?

As soon as someone wants to start giving away individual freedoms I can tell you who I won't listen to. Once you give one away, where does it stop?

Because this group over here thinks guns are the problem - everyone loses them.
Because this group over here thinks Global Cooling/Warming/Climate Change is a problem - no more SUVs or Pickups.
Because this group over here thinks that drugs are the problem - everyone loses protections under the 4th.

The trick is, you get rid of the guns first then the rest and more are easy. Seems to be historical examples for this.

I recently had a retired, local LEO in for a visit. He had just come from his qualifying session at the range and was cc'ing. He had to remove his shirt for a cardiogram, and was hesitating, stammering, and acting odd. Nonchalantly, I said something like, 'If you're packing, don't sweat it, just wrap the piece in your shirt...nobody will know anything." He calmed down and we did the test. Later he apologized like a thousand times about his "inappropriate" behavior. I asked him WTF he was talking about....he has all the proper licenses/qualifications etc. And if some whack-job came in to shoot the place up, he'd be able to lower the body count. I said if he wasn't carrying I would think less of him, and that he should probably find a new doctor. I really didn't get his apologetic/guilty position about it.

Liberalism is definitely a mental disorder and non-liberals should not have to apologize for being normal.

Not really. Surgeons already do this in some cases, "cherry picking" patients so that their stats show much lower complications. Their pay and hospital privileges depend on it. If their complication rates are higher, they lose O.R. time and dough. Superficially, it might sound preferable to eliminate crappy surgeons, but the reality is that some surgeons will call you back at 2 am when the HIV positive, drug addict needs his mitral valve replaced emergently, and some will say they never got the message.

Are the incentive programs and report cards actually publishing observed (not risk-adjusted) rates of outcomes? If so, that's pretty bad and of course some surgeons would cherry pick when they can. The better method is to say that a surgeon is doing better, worse, or no different than expected, conditional on how sick and complicated his patients are before surgery.

When I was doing this stuff for a health plan, most of the quality incentives were for processes (e.g. did your diabetic patients get an annual eye exam, nephropathy screening and hba1c test?) so the results were driven by doctors and not at the mercy (mostly) of flaky patients.

I recently had a retired, local LEO in for a visit. He had just come from his qualifying session at the range and was cc'ing. He had to remove his shirt for a cardiogram, and was hesitating, stammering, and acting odd. Nonchalantly, I said something like, 'If you're packing, don't sweat it, just wrap the piece in your shirt...nobody will know anything." He calmed down and we did the test. Later he apologized like a thousand times about his "inappropriate" behavior. I asked him WTF he was talking about....he has all the proper licenses/qualifications etc. And if some whack-job came in to shoot the place up, he'd be able to lower the body count. I said if he wasn't carrying I would think less of him, and that he should probably find a new doctor. I really didn't get his apologetic/guilty position about it.

Liberalism is definitely a mental disorder and non-liberals should not have to apologize for being normal.

My guess is maybe some family member (unexpectedly) gave him shit over carrying his gun or something like that, and it might have been someone he actually respected, etc. Things like that can have a profound influence on some people.

-Mike

When I was doing this stuff for a health plan, most of the quality incentives were for processes (e.g. did your diabetic patients get an annual eye exam, nephropathy screening and hba1c test?) so the results were driven by doctors and not at the mercy (mostly) of flaky patients.

I believe surgical report cards/grades are publicly available, though there is no elaboration on how/why the score is obtained. Obviously, surgery has inherent risk and some procedures have higher rates of complications than others. That, is before considering any patient factors. Also, some procedures have very well known, and even, "expected" complications. Beaurocrats don't understand this concept and Obamacare penalizes surgeons (and hospitals) for them, regardless.

The health plan work you are referencing (A1C, BP, BMI, et al) is more about primary care outcomes. The model involves "risk sharing." Basically, the government/private insurers will pay more to the physician if more patients are compliant and have values within the normal range, or "at goal." On the patient/consumer side, you will eventually pay lower premiums if you take your pills, exercise, stop smoking, etc. If you are non-compliant, your numbers will be worse, you will pay higher premiums, and your doctor will make less money (which by the way is counterproductive, as docs generally spend more time and energy on the sicker people). In some cases, the doctor would have to pay back some of his income to Medicare/Medicaid if the patient's care costs more than what was allotted. So if Jim keeps smoking, "forgets" his BP pills often, etc., and has a massive coronary, with a hospital bill over $250K, his MD could be on the hook for a (large) portion of the bill. Guess how long Jim will remain in his doctor's practice, in this scenario?

It's typical Obama-logic. Make others responsible for the crimes/sins committed by the individual. It goes the other way as well, as in, "you didn't build that." It also attempts to turn physicians into police, similar to the reports about "turning in" gun owners who might have mental health issues. It seems the old code about, "not being a rat" doesn't jive with progressive dogma. Obama wants you to narc on your neighbors, your coworkers, your friends, and your patients.

It also doesn't jive with HIPPA, as in the recent CVS employee revolt. Since employers pay some or all of employee health costs, they have an interest in your lifestyle as well. Some companies in MA and RI make you complete a form saying you saw your doctor for an "annual" exam. Some also ask for your BMI, BP, smoking status, cholesterol, etc. They even pay people $200 (coercion) to do it.

This is basically a violation of privacy as your employer could never ask your HIV status. They have zero right to know this information, and could use it against you at some point. "You're too fat, you smoke, and you're costing us a fortune in Blue Cross premiums, Jim, so we have to let you go."
So the party of anti-discrimination policies is building a tangled beaurocracy of medical discrimination and coercion to institute policy. Somehow these issues elude them. As far as I am aware, HIV is one of the most expensive diseases to treat. If CVS is justified in knowing your cholesterol and BP, since they have "skin in the game" as far as your healthcare costs, surely they are justified in knowing if you have HIV disease as well?

...So the party of anti-discrimination policies is building a tangled beaurocracy of medical discrimination and coercion to institute policy...

It's hard to understand why more people don't see this, as transparent as it is. The progressives scream discrimination at every opportunity and yet, they themselves discriminate...at every opportunity!

Some also ask for your BMI, BP, smoking status, cholesterol, etc. They even pay people $200 (coercion) to do it.

I have seen this firsthand and I always refuse to be a part of it. People are like "OMG! it's an extra $200 and they give you a Fitbit!!" and I respond with "I'm all set. Why do they need to know my numbers? I'm fine doing the weight training and exercising on my own and watching my own numbers." Then I get the bewildered looks.

This is definitely a sneaky way to let your employer into your life outside of work and I see it proposed all the time. I love my job in healthcare but I do not appreciate the intrusion.

"we are law makers, not research scientists. We do not have the liberty to wait for all the data to be in before making a decision...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I have seen this firsthand and I always refuse to be a part of it. People are like "OMG! it's an extra $200 and they give you a Fitbit!!" and I respond with "I'm all set. Why do they need to know my numbers? I'm fine doing the weight training and exercising on my own and watching my own numbers." Then I get the bewildered looks.

This is definitely a sneaky way to let your employer into your life outside of work and I see it proposed all the time. I love my job in healthcare but I do not appreciate the intrusion.

Fitbit people are the worst. How many times a day do you hear "get your steps in!"?

Right. The oddest thing is that it is coming from the left. The ACLU should be all over this crap. Same with warrantless cell phone searches, no knock raids 'cause you wrote the words "bomb" and "plane" in a text message, etc. We've rapidly gone from very strict honoring of personal freedom and privacy, to restricted freedoms and zero privacy. I used to leave my ss# off of any and every form I ever had to sign, in my entire life. Now it's like a joke.....anyone and everyone can easily obtain this info, and with little effort.

Are the incentive programs and report cards actually publishing observed (not risk-adjusted) rates of outcomes? If so, that's pretty bad and of course some surgeons would cherry pick when they can. The better method is to say that a surgeon is doing better, worse, or no different than expected, conditional on how sick and complicated his patients are before surgery.

The way most of these incentives work is insurance pays the doctors let's say 70 percent and says - at the end of the year if you meet the quality goals we will give you the remaining 30%.
The way these quality measures are recorded and adjudicated are often quite Dilbert-esque.

For example, let us say you have a blood pressure measure and the patient saw their doctor twice and both times their blood pressure was normal and then around Christmas he gets a sore throat and goes to urgent care and his blood pressure is elevated a bit, so there is a record of his last blood pressure for the calendar year being elevated. Guess what, sucker? You just failed the blood pressure measure!

The way most of these incentives work is insurance pays the doctors let's say 70 percent and says - at the end of the year if you meet the quality goals we will give you the remaining 30%.

That is my understanding. The one I worked on was a hybrid fee-for-service (at a lower rate than before) combined with incentives. I don't think the insurer lowered fee payments as much as 30%, but I never got to see that level of detail in the contracts.

The way these quality measures are recorded and adjudicated are often quite Dilbert-esque.

For example, let us say you have a blood pressure measure and the patient saw their doctor twice and both times their blood pressure was normal and then around Christmas he gets a sore throat and goes to urgent care and his blood pressure is elevated a bit, so there is a record of his last blood pressure for the calendar year being elevated. Guess what, sucker? You just failed the blood pressure measure!

The are now hundreds of measures out there with varying complexity and validity. For the hypertension measure I did, we just calculated the denominator (anyone with hypertension), then sent a list of patients to the provider who filled in the BP from their medical records. That's the only way we could do it, since the BP measurement itself is not submitted on a claim. I can't remember exactly how the numerator criteria was met, but I'd be shocked if it was driven by the max reading for the year. In your example, I'm not sure how the insurer would get the BP reading from the urgent care provider. I could be wrong, but I'd imagine it's prohibitively expensive to chase down medical records from inpatient, urgent care or ER visits.

The measures I wrote were mostly straightforward, not really "Dilbert-esque" in most cases. For example, did patients age 12-21 have their annual well visit? Did a person with an initial diagnosis of major depression fill a script for 84 and 180 days of antidepressants? Did a child seen with pharyngitis but no other diagnoses NOT get script for antibiotics? Did women age 16-24 get screened for chlamydia?

Honestly, it seemed like most provider groups were pretty much maxing out on incentive payments because it is very easy to achieve compliance with most of these measures. So there are new ones in the pipeline, but I think they might fizzle because they don't cover enough patients to make it possible to base payments on. For example, right before I left I wrote a program for osteoporosis management for elderly women who had a fracture. When a woman breaks a bone, the insurer wants the provider to order a bone mineral density test or prescribe osteoporosis medication. They're hoping to save money by not having to treat more fractures. But the number of cases is fairly small compared to the ones already in place, so we'll see how that is accepted.

To really throw providers a curveball, they're doing all this stuff with PPO members now. The problem is that PPO members don't pick a PCP like you do in HMOs. So we made algorithms to attribute patient care to a particular provider based on visits and prescriptions. So if you're a doctor and you wrote a guy three scripts this year but didn't see him otherwise, then you take on the financial risk for his quality outcomes.

In the future we'll also be seeing quality payments based on EHR "data." I'm kind of glad I won't be a part of that.

Back
Top Bottom