Gun Safes

Does anyone know if this safe is any good?
The FIRST thing to look at is wall thickness. 10 gauge is common with 12 and 11 being lighter and more readily sawzallable. Secondarily, issues like the locking mechanics, bolt, etc,. come into play - but at 11 gauge, crowbarring is a possibility. I'd rate it as way better than a Homak, probably good for the money, but you're not getting really high security for $200.

Solid 11 gauge steel walls and frame

I've been looking at Mesa Safe company safes on the BJs website. Looks like a nice safe, with a limited lifetime warr. Problem is I can't find any reviews,,, ANYWHERE. Company website says it's been around since 1981. Anyone with any experience??

I'm mainly a handgun shooter (which I have well-stored) but I'm looking for a way to store a couple of rifles. Literally, two rifles; and I am somewhat unlikely to acquire more in the future (I really don't enjoy long-guns). Are there cases appropriate for regular storage? Or a preferred low-end safe brand? I don't think it makes sense to spend $500 to store something with a replacement cost of just a couple of times that.

Okay so I need a safe I have a headache from the research here is what I am looking for let me know your opinion.

It must be on the smallish side, needs to go to the 3rd floor of a condo so it cannot weigh too much (yes I will bolt it to the floor), does not need to be fireproof, I am really just looking to slow someone down should they get in and find it. Anyone have an opinion of Gardall safes, in all my research I have not seen any opinion one way or the other?

Okay so I need a safe I have a headache from the research here is what I am looking for let me know your opinion.

It must be on the smallish side, needs to go to the 3rd floor of a condo so it cannot weigh too much (yes I will bolt it to the floor), does not need to be fireproof, I am really just looking to slow someone down should they get in and find it. Anyone have an opinion of Gardall safes, in all my research I have not seen any opinion one way or the other?

I'm far from an expert, but to me it sounds like the Gardall safes are a bit overkill. You did not mention what types of guns you'll be storing, but based on your criteria why not just opt for a Stack-On cabinet? They're relatively cheap, you can bolt them down, and they come in a variety of sizes.

Last edited:
I'm far from an expert, but to me it sounds like the Gardall safes are a bit overkill. You did not mention what types of guns you'll be storing, but based on your criteria why not just opt for a Stack-On cabinet? They're relatively cheap, you can bolt them down, and they come in a variety of sizes.

There is no such thing as overkill for a gun safe, unless you can just say "meh" when you ask yourself the question "What if some dirtbag stole my rifle?" . Obviously everyone's threshold of what is good enough is going to be different, though, depending on how much money you have to spend and how much weight your floor can hold, and the logistics of getting it in your house. With some modifications those stack on cabinets can also be made a lot more secure, if you are going to put in the effort. I'm trying to remember who it was, but someone here had a post about reinforcing the cabinets in such a way that made them a lot harder to break into.

-Mike

Tballs,
I guess my concern with the Stack-on (I own a similar brand I thinks it's Homak?) is that even bolted down it is just sheet metal and could very easily be pried open or frankly "punched through" with a screwdriver. My main criteria is to slow down a person from "working" on getting in the safe/cabinet my thinking being that once they got in then to the spot where I would have the safe the police would have been notified (alarm would have tripped) and secondly being small enough to get up to a 3rd floor.

I don't disagree with anything that's been said, but I suppose I was thrown off by the "meh-ness" of DaveyG's OP. If you don't want/need fire protection and are "really just looking to slow someone down" then I suppose just how much you want to slow them down is the question.

If the thread can be located, maybe drgrant's thought about reinforcing a Stack-On type cabinet would be a less expensive & lightweight, but still viable option.

Last edited:

Look into the Dakota Interlock XP. It can be broken down into 6 pieces of no more than 200 lbs each (relatively easy to move compared to other safes), weighs over 500 lbs when assembled (and can be bolted to the floor), and it is quite secure when assembled.

I scored an old steel clothes locker from work. It was free and works well. You may be able to find one on craigs list, or at a scrap yard. The door locks, and it is easy to move with two people.

Also, it can be bolted to the wall.

Any thief can break into a safe with the right tools and time, even the expensive ones. The most important thing is to keep them from wheeling it away (total weight and bolting capability) or being able to break into it with basic tools like a crowbar, axe, and sledge hammer. Your goal is really just to prevent them from a quick smash and grab. I've also heard (but can't confirm) that fireproof safes hold moisture in the panels to deter fire so are counter productive with dehumidifiers both in that they keep moisture in, and also are ineffective to fire once the dehumidifier has dried out the panels enough.

My main goal is to prevent/slow down smash & grab type theft.
I am also limited as to where the safe will go, I live in a condo and it needs to go to a 3rd floor so I am limited to size and the models I have looked at are in the 600-800 dollar range and based on opinions here imam concerned they are garbage and may as well stick with the "sheetmetal" type cabinet I already own.
$800.00 is the high end of my budget as well, I have been looking at the AMSEC TF line and am well aware that they are apparently Chinese made for several companies BUT will this "safe" serve the purpose I need? I could save a bit more and go with maybe a BF series Liberty or even the smallest Sturdy but there is no way I can get these to the 3rd floor and then I will have to install in unheated attached garage which now presents a new set of obstacles. Ughh what to do what to do.

At this point 800.00 is the most I can spend (total).

I'm looking to get a big safe...What would you guys say is a safe weight to put on the first floor? The one im looking at is like 850 lbs and that's empty. In an apartment... they may be trouble.

I'm looking to get a big safe...What would you guys say is a safe weight to put on the first floor? The one im looking at is like 850 lbs and that's empty. In an apartment... they may be trouble.

It varies by building. 2x8's, 2x10's, 2x12's, steel vs wood, cross braced, etc., are all going to give you different carrying capacities on your floor. I'd be real weary about putting 850 pounds on an apartment floor.

I remember reading somewhere that the average carrying capacity of a 'normal' modern home is somewhere around 40lbs per square foot.

FYI - In case anyone missed Dick's BF deal on the Stack-On 24 gun safe (GSX-524-55), the sale continues through the weekend. Sale price was $450 until 2PM on Friday, $500 for the rest of the weekend. It also has a $50 MIR. I was told delivery is $280 to a garage, but I opted for pick up. They will help put it in your vehicle, but you're on your own after that. 418lbs, what could go wrong? [smile]

They sold out just before I got to the Worcester store, but they will still take orders for the sale price and said it should be in next week.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4198882

I've heard so many mixed reviews on those Stack'On safes, what do you guys think of them? My Stack-On cabinet has officially been maxed out with guns. I'll be looking for a nice safe in the coming months.

I'm a relative newbie (picked-up my LTC-A this past Monday), but I'm happy with the 10-gun Stack-On "cabinet" from Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-10-Gun-Security-Cabinet/14710765

$100, and picked it up at the local store. No assembly needed, other than attaching the one little shelf on the inside. Interesting to learn that gun safes are tax-exempt in Massachusetts. And it does fill up quick...maybe it will help keep my new-found demand under control for a while[wink]. Not worried about protecting a large/valuable collection of guns...mainly to meet Mass. storage laws, and also keep the youngsters out.

Wanting to keep more than just long guns, I did do some creative reconfiguring for more and better storage: stackable ammo cans, attaching a Stack-On organizer to the inside of the door (good for lightweight stuff like hat/earmuffs/safety glasses), and some little nylon velcro-backed holsters for pistols hanging high in the back of the cabinet where there's nothing else filling space. And can still hold maybe 5 long guns, which should do it for me.

But I do see the appeal of a large, solid safe, but this is a good start, and hey, it stays in the basement, chained to a post.

A neat safe trick to try:

Classic manipulation is possible, but difficult (google for the Matt Blaze paper on the subject).

But, if you are asked to close an open safe, try rotating the dial counterclockwise very slowly and feeling the pickup points - you'll actually see the combination in reverse order if you are careful. Actually, the numbers you see on a typical Group II lock will probably be the combination plus about one digit due to the tolerance window on the gate.

Just something to think about if you leave a business safe open and tell one of your employees who is not trusted with the combination to lock it when closing the shop.

I just picked up a Sentry Safe G1055C from Four Seasons and am pretty happy with it thusfar. Good size, a little heavy but nothing 2 people can't manage. Sturdy door and locks. Comes with parts to bolt down. I live in an apartment so I can't bolt it, but considering its size and weight I can't picture it being taken/broken into without some serious tools/time/man power.

Also if anyone is looking for a larger safe, when I called they offered me a GM1459E which is their largest model offered and normally sells for $699, but the one they offered is used and has some cosmetic wear so they were selling it for $399. I was tempted but I wasn't about to potentially damage our hardwood floor with a 400lb safe. I also had no clue how I would move it, lol.

I picked up the RedHead 1856 Collection Fire-Resistant Gun Safe from Bass Pro Shops a few months ago and i like it. The only issue I had was that the wife did not like the big deer skull in the front of it, luckly it is a decal and it peeled right off. shes happy, im happy!
I paid way less for the safe than on-line. $799 + 10% off with credit card app, + 10% off with military discount.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-1856-Collection-FireResistant-Gun-Safe/product/10201907/-1591153

Last edited:
here's one place to check out but the safes are good quality and are a bit pricy, but as the saying goes, you can't put a price on your life www.easternsecuritysafe.com they're located in mendon, where i bought my safe. they also do gun shows they might be at the next one at the big e

I bought a safe from them. Delivered and installed. It's the most expensive firearms-related thing I've ever purchased. But man is it a tank. 900 lbs, lagged to the floor, and a great fire-resistant rating. Breaking into it supposedly takes hours and a professional with the right tools.

Last edited:
I saw Mike at the Big E. I was wearing my NES hat, and he commented that I'd get a discount... and they have the W. Springfield location open on weekends.

Back
Top Bottom