Gun Safe for Closet

Both? I guess if you use desiccant packs and an air-tight Pelican it’d probably be safe from condensation damage, but I just use a mylar bags or take the foam out. But then I don’t really care about abrasion for my non-collectibles.

My stuff has a good seal but as a secondary, I have small wooded boxes with a screen top on the base and put silica cat litter in. Every 6 months or so I empty them and either replace it or bake it dry.

Before searching for a safe decide it's purpose - real security from theft; fire protection; light security to keep low end amateurs and kids out of the safe; or to meet safe storage requirements with no concern for actual security. That will guide your quest. Oh, and be sure you know you favorite color.

How about a false back wall about 3" of clear space out, 48" tall with a small shoe shelf on top, the door mount attached by a piano hinge, mount your stuff inside sideways with cables or trigger locks and you could still use it as a closet. Outa sight, outa mind.

How about a false back wall about 3" of clear space out, 48" tall with a small shoe shelf on top, the door mount attached by a piano hinge, mount your stuff inside sideways with cables or trigger locks and you could still use it as a closet. Outa sight, outa mind.
Sure. Just go rehabbing an apartment. Nobody will notice. 😂

Sure. Just go rehabbing an apartment. Nobody will notice. 😂
LOL!!! [laugh] But not the worst advice offered in this thread... and well-executed stealth can be very effective. [thumbsup]

The downside is that without a STACK-ON cabinet or cheapy Chinese safe in that closet is that Maura & Andrea will REQUIRE trigger locks on everything. 👎

And if you're not at least keeping Maura & Andrea happy (and yourself out of "Safe Storage" law trouble) what's the point? 🤔

I'm pretty sure I could do it without much effort nor permanent modifications to the building but you'll have to take my word for it.
Sure you can. 😂
Did a remodel in Manhattan on W57th on the 63rd floor at Met Tower. The building had a strict no contractor policy after 330 or 400 PM. The contractor, who did all of the buildings work who we hired only taped on an interior with a hammer.

You would have thought we tossed a dead body onto the restaurant’s roof deck below us. In minutes we had management at the door and they were not happy.
Yup. Nobody will hear a damn thing. 😂

I got a 400+ lb safe at Costco for 599, and I bolted it to the floor in 2 places. It's a great fireproof safe for documents, photos, and such.

I hate guns, but for weirdos who like guns it would be perfect.

If you search CraigsList weekly you can spend that money elsewhere.
Current 1 weeks thread. There are many longarm safes given away just for your ability to take it.

People are always looking to get rid of them, many are open & well kept. Be patient.
Heres another one 9/1/23----looks like CANTON MA Free safe - free stuff - craigslist

Good luck!

Last edited:
I’ve been detained in a apartment for the time being. I have a Liberty Centurion 12 and a lockable tool cabinet for ammo. Both will fit in typical closet dimensions.

I’ve come to learn my landlord is a firearms enthusiast and hunter, but still I maintain a low profile … nobody knows excep local PD as I had to notify for LTC address change.

I'd go with a stack-on also if I were in an apartment and just use trigger and cable locks on them to meet the MA requirements and not sweat the outer lock. As for adding hangers for handguns, think wood and dowels. Drilling through thin metal and into a wood backer doesn't take much by way of tools.

I don't use safes. I just build things like furniture or compartments into the walls of which I need to start a new one. I've been on a small buying spree this year and need to build for ten new ones that are locked in the above mentioned pelican cases. Anyway, what I meant with the above as a sample for dowels with a wood backer.

View attachment 761906

(If interested, this is the inside of a chest of draws. It's 5' tall, 29" wide and 17" deep. Fairly small but it holds 13 rifles, 8 pistols on the inside with an an O/U two barrel shotgun set and 2 more rifles on the swing out door along with about 6 fix blade hunting style knives and various accessories. I could add more but then accessing them wouldn't be as easy. Best part is, reconfiguring what I do is easy as it's just wood and screws.)
I am getting "extremely cool grandpa" vibes from this photo.

to go a different way than the already good suggestions:

get a "truck locker" and a separate pistol safe.

71zdaeoPorL.jpeg

if you end up moving into a house and get a better safe, the truck locker becomes your trunk/truck storage.

I am getting "extremely cool grandpa" vibes from this photo.

Well, I am a grandpa but one with eclectic tastes.

What's in one of the wall panels (that I don't know how to build I guess). There's two 870's on the left inside and more AR and AK mags up the inside right side. There are 6 different barrels for the 870's that are in a rack on the inside top. There's also 2 1911's and a PPK/s on the inside door also.

P1010490.JPG

@Taipan01 would you be willing to make another post with pics of those storage beauties? Don’t want to thread-jack but would love to see some more of those creations!

I'm looking for some recommendations, I don't need anything massive but a safe that can fit 5 rifles should do the trick. I am looking for one that would fit into a standard apartment closet, possibly allow for me to mount some nylon holsters on the inside of the door for pistols. Anyone have a recommendation?
Hide it in plain sight.

@Taipan01 would you be willing to make another post with pics of those storage beauties? Don’t want to thread-jack but would love to see some more of those creations!
Okay but the last one. I already feel like I've glommed the thread and I've let a bit too much out into the wild on a public forum as is.

This one isn't about concealment but it's still about storage and I find it helpful when I go to load out for the range. I keep a small sampling of ammunition for most of my calibers in a cabinet that's built onto the end of my reloading bench (something else I guess I didn't know how to build) instead of having to go into "the heap". It also helps me to rotate the ammunition as the oldest stuff goes into it.

reloading.jpg

When it comes to firearms, it's only about the firearm itself that comes to the forefront. Besides storing the firearm, you need room for ammunition, accessories say a holster(s) or mags and so on besides expanding your collection as we all so often do. I think most would agree at a minimum of 5 mags per mag feed and 500 rounds on hand per caliber is a good starting point when thinking storage.

Thanks for sharing @Taipan01. I completely understand not wanting to put too much on the interwebs. Really nice setups, certainly a master of your craft.

Back
Top Bottom