Gun Safe for Closet

jhagberg88

NES Member
I'm looking for some recommendations, I don't need anything massive but a safe that can fit 5 rifles should do the trick. I am looking for one that would fit into a standard apartment closet, possibly allow for me to mount some nylon holsters on the inside of the door for pistols. Anyone have a recommendation?

I'm looking for some recommendations, I don't need anything massive but a safe that can fit 5 rifles should do the trick. I am looking for one that would fit into a standard apartment closet, possibly allow for me to mount some nylon holsters on the inside of the door for pistols. Anyone have a recommendation?
If no one else has said it, for 5 actual guns, look for a 10 gun cabinet.

Ever put 2 grown dudes in a '2 person' tent?

For temporary legal beagle storage, I got myself the $200 model at Harbor Freight. No complaints, it works.

and I actually really did fit 10 guns in there. 2 were even scoped.

wait no...I mean if I had 10 guns, I mean no one has 10 guns, why would anyone need SO many guns????

I looked at a few small safes because I needed small dimensions to fit up a thin stairway. More in the below thread, but the Tractor Supply safe was half the price of competitors at $500 and better quality.

For temporary legal beagle storage, I got myself the $200 model at Harbor Freight. No complaints, it works.

and I actually really did fit 10 guns in there. 2 were even scoped.

wait no...I mean if I had 10 guns, I mean no one has 10 guns, why would anyone need SO many guns????
Most of my stuff has some kind of optic, I didn't assume you were a poser who didn't roll heavy.

Iron sights are for noobs with no upgrades unlocked. :p

This whole post is a joke....before someone get's spun up.

Another vote for stack-on cabinet
Just remember. The ease that you moved the safe into your house under, is the same ease that a burglar can move it out.

My feeling on gun safes is that unless you want to build a solid, reinforced, steel and concrete vault with solid doors that can withstand jackhammers, burning bars, and torches, a determined burglar can get your stuff pretty easily.

The only lock you really need is a box that keeps the guns out of casual people's hands, including kids. The Stack On stuff does this fine.

I prefer to keep my mouth shut about what I own, keep it out of sight of anyone who comes into the house, and keep it locked enough so that some kid can't get into trouble with anything I own.

This is what I have sitting in my closet, and they're on sale. I got a gift card from one of my suppliers and I think I only paid $199 out the door.

I put a TS Winchester gun safe in my closet and it fit side to side without a lot of extra space to spare. Just make sure if your floor is not concrete, it will support the weight of the safe (mine weighed about 400 pounds, empty). I had to put extra support under the floor to bear the extra poundage.

If you don’t need fire protection, and want to bring it in discreetly and assemble it onsite, you can go this route:

For "standard apartment closet" applications and just a handful of guns, almost anything that will fit well (with the safe/cabinet door able to open & close) will do. As long as you can get it up to your apartment and installed without the whole world watching and knowing what you are doing. [laugh]

If it were me, I'd also put a decent key lock on the closet door and, if feasible, have clothes hanging in the way so that casual observers aren't alerted. [thumbsup]

Trigger locks are cheap (mostly free with purchase) why not lock them individually and leave them strewn about the house, or at least you can just put them in a regular closet

🤷🏻‍♂️
I sense a little humor here... :) ... but there is nothing wrong with putting some cheap (69¢) plastic trigger locks on the stored guns you aren't planning to use often or for self-defense even if they are already in a Stack-On-style gun cabinet or cheapy Chinese safe. I consider it the world's cheapest insurance against Maura & Andrea and our absolutely crazy "Safe Storage" law. Yes, belt and suspenders for sure... but for 69¢ each, why the Hell not? 🤔

I got 2 stack ons and they are fine. I'd look around for people selling, or look for sale. I wouldn't pay full retail price for thse.
I have no idea where they get their capacity numbers from. Maybe if you don't mind stocks, metal finish and scopes getting banged up as you jam them in.

I'd go with a stack-on also if I were in an apartment and just use trigger and cable locks on them to meet the MA requirements and not sweat the outer lock. As for adding hangers for handguns, think wood and dowels. Drilling through thin metal and into a wood backer doesn't take much by way of tools.

I don't use safes. I just build things like furniture or compartments into the walls of which I need to start a new one. I've been on a small buying spree this year and need to build for ten new ones that are locked in the above mentioned pelican cases. Anyway, what I meant with the above as a sample for dowels with a wood backer.

Chest top newer.jpg

(If interested, this is the inside of a chest of draws. It's 5' tall, 29" wide and 17" deep. Fairly small but it holds 13 rifles, 8 pistols on the inside with an an O/U two barrel shotgun set and 2 more rifles on the swing out door along with about 6 fix blade hunting style knives and various accessories. I could add more but then accessing them wouldn't be as easy. Best part is, reconfiguring what I do is easy as it's just wood and screws.)

Back
Top Bottom