• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Room, Shrewsbury, MA

Um... it was almost three years ago and the guy is now dead. Does it really matter?

Seconded. He's dead. No need to speak ill of them.

Not speaking ill, maybe I should clarify. The FFL was in his name, so charges against the shop would be against him. I'm guessing some kind of dispute over a consignment, bad check for a gun, etc.

What part of the other 2 posts don't you get ?

he was just looking for more information. It isnt ok to speak ill (although I disagree in that he was speaking "ill") about this guy, but wishing a man like Ted Kennedy die is? NO group, including ours, can have it both ways.....

I have been to this shop a few times. I'd like to report that I have never had a bad experience in there. I have been treated courteously on every visit and they have exceeded my expectations. I tend to ask a lot of questions, probably to the point of annoyance, and they have fielded them all patiently. They will continue to get my business.

This shop would be a decent shop if that scrubby wanna be militia guy wasn't always in there. He is the one who everytime I've walked in, he's got a dirty look directed at me and answers my questions with attitude and an "I know it all" attitude. Ok buddy.... youve got the same pants on everytime I see you. They need to drop this loser and I guarantee moral in that shop will instantly be lifted. Goon

anytime before 3pm, usually weekdays. shorter guy, heavy set. around 30-35 years old. short black hair. dirty look on his face allllllll the time, in a bad mood allllllllll the time.

I feel like I should explain my rant. Everytime I've had a bad experience in this place, its always been because of this loser. Because I've got a few showing tattooes this goon acts like mynmoney isn't green. I actually overheard him say to someone "they're giving lisenses to anyone these days, huh". Who does this guy think he is. You work at a gun shop for 11 bucks an hour..... nice try holding my belt but isn't happening. This place lost a good money spending customer due to this scrub.. if you all don't know who I mean I'm talking about the midde aged stubby fool behind the counter who is ALWAYS wearing the same. Exact. Cammo. Pants....always.

Hey man i happen to know whom you are talking about, and he's not that bad of a guy to be honest. Not to burst your bubble, but the whole "11 dollars an hour" thing doesn't make him a bad guy OR a loser for that matter. maybe he has a second job? maybe he's doing the gun room thing for fun because he doesn't need the money? you are contradicting your rant (on him judging you) by judging him on what he wears to work everyday, or how much you assume he makes. If we're actually talking about the same guy here, he kind of has a right to have a know it all attitude. he's probably got the most brains on modern tactical weapons out of everybody in the store. Give him a chance.. and what do you expect him to wear..? designer pants to go and work at a gun shop everyday? you may not get the same "hey what's up how are you" attitude that you may get at dicks sporting goods, but who cares... they are there to have the right supplies for us gun owners, and to answer our questions about things related. Not to kiss your ass, the cards on are on table. It's a gun shop, a real Gun shop.... Like a real lumber yard or like an old school hardware store, Not like a beauty salon, or a car dealership. We're all men (and some women) but you can't take this sh** personal. in the end They're good guys down there. That's all

Your right..... they ARE all good guys, I've done business with every one of them at one Point. And the guy I'm talking about, I've done the most with him.... probably have had over a dozen transactions involving him. And each and every one he acted the same way towards me. Its unnecessary and unprofessional. He MAY be very knowledgable about modern guns but that's no reason to be arrogant. Working in a gun shop... one should be informative, helping, respectful (to an extent, the gun crowd is a rough crowd, I know) and courteous. I have been treated ok by all of the others, and then there's this guy. Its caused me to stay clear of this spot.... which is a shame. Sometimes they have decent used guns at decent prices. Its all good though. Not the only shop in the area. First defense, here I come! !!!!

Your right..... they ARE all good guys, I've done business with every one of them at one Point. And the guy I'm talking about, I've done the most with him.... probably have had over a dozen transactions involving him. And each and every one he acted the same way towards me. Its unnecessary and unprofessional. He MAY be very knowledgable about modern guns but that's no reason to be arrogant. Working in a gun shop... one should be informative, helping, respectful (to an extent, the gun crowd is a rough crowd, I know) and courteous. I have been treated ok by all of the others, and then there's this guy. Its caused me to stay clear of this spot.... which is a shame. Sometimes they have decent used guns at decent prices. Its all good though. Not the only shop in the area. First defense, here I come! !!!!

as far as professionalism goes; I agree 100% on being informative, helping AND respectful. Everybody has different experiences and I am sympathetic to hear that The Gun Room has lost another customer. All i can say is every time i go in the gentleman we are referring to is usually a really nice guy. Take it with a grain of salt, first defense is good too

dayslives_logo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had mixed experiences there. I bought a shotgun there a month ago and the gentleman was great who i dealt with. A while ago i used to not be able to walk in there without getting mean mugged. Recently its been a little bit better.

I haven't been on this list for quite some time and missed this post. I've been going there on and off for over 15 years now. I used to stop by the Gun Room on my way home almost every Friday afternoon just to see if any milsurps that were different had arrived. I haven't been there in about two years now since I no longer travel that way. Not once in all those years did I ever have a problem or bad experience with these guys. Also one of the guys lives in my town. Maybe that made a difference.

Well I'm glad they are still doing Business.. With the death of John...and all.. We need the Local guy to keep it real!!

A couple weeks ago, one of the sales guys there told me I could use a 3 1/2 inch magnum barrel they were selling on my 870, even though that is only chambered for 2 3/4 inch. I didn't know what to say to that. I never even bothered to look it up.

A couple weeks ago, one of the sales guys there told me I could use a 3 1/2 inch magnum barrel they were selling on my 870, even though that is only chambered for 2 3/4 inch. I didn't know what to say to that. I never even bothered to look it up.

From the Remington website: (couldn't find anything about the 3.5")

NOTE: Model 870 Extra Barrels with 3" chambers will fit Super Magnum, Magnum, and 2-3/4" receivers. These barrels will handle both 2-3/4" and 3" shells when used on Magnum receivers. Use only 2-3/4" shells when these barrels are used on 2-3/4" receivers.

John Valantine runs the shop. He's part owner. The incomparable John Murphy is there full time. A man of unprecedented firearms knowledge.

You mean his ghost is occupying the store or something? I thought Murphy passed away.

-Mike

Hi Boss:
Hope all is going well for you.
John O'Leary was the owner but he passed away last Summer.
John Valantine has become the store manager.
John Murphy is a full time employee there (I think for the third time).
Too many John's.
Have a good one.

Hi Boss:
Hope all is going well for you.
John O'Leary was the owner but he passed away last Summer.
John Valantine has become the store manager.
John Murphy is a full time employee there (I think for the third time).
Too many John's.
Have a good one.

That clears it up.... "my bad" (like the dentist here: )

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
nosed around today, since I was stuck going to the Sprint store to replace my brand new phone (Grrr) Shop seemed about half empty of wares since my previous visits. not much to see, and still too pricey for me to bother.

nosed around today, since I was stuck going to the Sprint store to replace my brand new phone (Grrr) Shop seemed about half empty of wares since my previous visits. not much to see, and still too pricey for me to bother.

This.

I was in there today. If you seek high prices, limited selection, and attitudes stop in.....

Back
Top Bottom