• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Room, Shrewsbury, MA

Peter Dowd still owns it. Probably some good deals to be had though...

One article I read said that Dowd sold it to O'Leary, but who knows how accurate that was. John Valentine is listed as the treasurer on one engine I looked at. If Dowd bought it back when O'Leary passed, that wouldn't surprise me. Dowd has got to be rolling in cash with the legalized extortion warehouse down the street. [laugh]

-Mike

Although I have never had a bad experience at The Gun Room I will say I was in there last week and their stock is severely depleted. I have never seen so few guns and ammo in there before. I will say the person who asked if they could help me was polite, but they didn't have anything in particular I was looking for.

The Gun Room

I called this store a few weeks ago and inquired if they had any used Colt Sauer rifles in stock. I explained that I was interested in the rifle action and not concerned about caliber. The manager stated that they had one chambered in 270 and assured me it was an original Colt Sauer.

After making the two hour drive to the store one of the employees directed me to the rifle in question. The rifle was a Colt but not a Colt Sauer. When I explained to the manager that I specifically asked if the rifle was a Colt "Suaer" and just made a two hour drive for no reason, he said "if you don't want it, don't buy it and simply walked away.

It amazes me that businesses such as these manage to keep their doors open.

I'll add to the negative reviews of this place. I asked one question about a Glock and the guy told me I was wrong and gave me an attitude. The other employee there actually came over and corrected him and told him I was right. It felt good to see. But needless to say, I won't go back. I'll stick to Bob's in Webster.

I'll add to the negative reviews of this place. I asked one question about a Glock and the guy told me I was wrong and gave me an attitude. The other employee there actually came over and corrected him and told him I was right. It felt good to see. But needless to say, I won't go back. I'll stick to Bob's in Webster.

I was going to stop in at the Gun Room yesterday at 5:45pm. They used to be open late on Friday's. Guesss what, they close at 5pm. Dowd's place in Northboro was also closed. I used to buy used military guns from the Gun Room years ago. I never had a problem with John O'Leary or any of the former employees there. That could be because I was a regular there and worked for a company that sold them firearms wholesale.

Now speaking of Bob's in Webster. I cannot say enough good things about the younger of the two guys that works there, the big guy short hair cut. I stopped in there about 5 - 6 weeks ago and also at Sparky's. Bob's was probably the most friendly gun place that I have ever visited. The place was very busy. This guy took the time to ask me if he could help me out with anything, show me something, whatever. He was also working with another customer at the same time. This is what I call knowing how to run a business. Never ingore your customers. Nice place, good selection of new and used firearms. Rated A+ by me that day.

Next I went over to Sparky's. His handguns are limited right now. He said he is having problems getting a hold of used ones. Not very much in the rifle line either. I know Paul does a lot of internet gun sales and that coukld be why his inventory is so low now. Paul is a pretty good guy. I've done a lot of business with him over the years with old military guns. I did buy some reloading powder from him while I was there.

Last edited:
I am guilty of being one of the regular custumers there,since it just minutes from my workplace.
..... just pick up rifle there last week that has been on my list for years.
Always been treated fairly.

I don't understand what keeps the Gun Room in business. There are plenty of stores that are much better...yet they seem to hang on.

The BF and I went here a couple of times. We hate the place for all the reasons you guys already listed. What a bunch of pr*cks they are there. The Secretary of State's website says that Peter G. Dowd is both President and Treasurer of this Hell-hole, and his wife, Betty Jo Dowd, is listed as the Secretary. These Dowds list their address as Deerfoot Road in Southboro.

Good to know. Now we'll avoid both establishments, and any other business ventures in which the Dowds are involved. If they're willing to tolerate the kind of crap that goes on at The Gun Room then they don't deserve a penny from us.

o_O...
So, Seeing as i was in the area recently, and i like to check out gun shops that i have never been to, I stopped by.

I must say, they didn't have too much that interested me and i can agree with some of the reviews.... a little of the cold shoulder treatment.
But, anyone can have an off day.
I would probably check them out again if i was in that area....

Good to know. Now we'll avoid both establishments, and any other business ventures in which the Dowds are involved. If they're willing to tolerate the kind of crap that goes on at The Gun Room then they don't deserve a penny from us.

It's not just the crap at the Gun Room. It's also that Dowd runs a 'bonded warehouse', which is basically legalized extortion. If someone's guns are confiscated by a PD for whatever reason, Dowd swoops in to pick them up. He charges a daily storage fee per gun until the legal issue is cleared up and the owner pays up. It's an all or nothing deal, so you have to pay massive fees to get everything back. The fees can get to be more than the value of the gun pretty quickly in the case of inexpensive guns, and you can't just pay to get the valuable ones back. People give up on their whole collection, and Dowd sells them for a tidy profit. I'll never give that scumbag a penny.

I stopped in this shop once when I was in the area... I'll say that the vibe in the air wasn't exactly friendly.

There are also a bunch of bad vibes about the guy who owns this place also being the bonded warehouse guy for the state... When someone has their license revoked their guns may end up with them (not by the owner's choice) with substantial "storage fees" that could easily exceed the value of a particular gun being "stored". That's not the kind of store I give my business to.

There are two shops with similar names, the Gun Room @ 257 Boston Turnpike in Shrewsbury and the Gun Room of Shrewsbury @ 276 Boston Turnpike. The former is owned by Dowd and as far as I know is not generally open to the public. The Gun Room of Shrewsbury is open to the public and is in a small strip mall next to Vin's Appliances and across the street from a Police supply store. This shop is not owned by Dowd but I believe now owned by the former owner's (the owner died a few years back) family.

There are two shops with similar names, the Gun Room @ 257 Boston Turnpike in Shrewsbury and the Gun Room of Shrewsbury @ 276 Boston Turnpike. The former is owned by Dowd and as far as I know is not generally open to the public. The Gun Room of Shrewsbury is open to the public and is in a small strip mall next to Vin's Appliances and across the street from a Police supply store. This shop is not owned by Dowd but I believe now owned by the former owner's (the owner died a few years back) family.
You appear to be correct, although the "Gun Room" appears to have been dissolved in 1988. My bad - I'm apparently responsible for this unintentional bit of mis-information, so I checked both the MA Sec of State Corporations database and the ATF FFL listing just to make sure. Perhaps we should stop foisting the contempt we all feel towards Dowd upon The Gun Room of Shrewsbury which appears to have no connection at this time.

One article I read said that Dowd sold it to O'Leary, but who knows how accurate that was. John Valentine is listed as the treasurer on one engine I looked at. If Dowd bought it back when O'Leary passed, that wouldn't surprise me. Dowd has got to be rolling in cash with the legalized extortion warehouse down the street. [laugh]

-Mike
It looks like there are other O'Learys involved now.

Today's Worcester T&G has an ad for "Archery & Arms, LLC, 276 Boston Turnpike, Shrewsbury MA - Next to Vin's TV. Grand Opening today, 5/1. Bows, Guns and ammo....Is the Gun Room done and reborn?

Anyone know what this new shop is all about??

Last edited:
Today's Worcester T&G has an ad for "Archery & Arms, LLC, 276 Boston Turnpike, Shrewsbury MA - Next to Vin's TV. Grand Opening today, 5/1. Bows, Guns and ammo....Is the Gun Room done and reborn?

Did a drive by this am on route 9. Gun Room still in operation. This new shop is 2 doors down in the same plaza. Says "guns and ammo" but seems to be predominantly bow related. Will have to stop in and take a look...

You have certainly perked my interest! I'll drive by it either tonight or tomorrow and check it out, as I only live 5 minutes from there. Thanks for letting us know!

I went to this shop yesterday and today, and I have to say that nothing has changed from what people have already said about this place. I returned today to check out a used lefty rifle for my wife, and it was actually worse than my experience yesterday. I'm not going to go into details, I just recommend people to not bother with this place.

If it's any consolation for people who've had bad experiences here, the place was absolutely dead during this "tax free" weekend. Both times I was in there there was only one customer, and they weren't buying, just talking.

In the same plaza just a few doors down there's another new gunshop. There just getting on their feet but I've been in there a couple of times and night and day compared to the shop in the title. I suggest next time your in the vicinity to check out this new shop and maybe we can give them a boost.

In the same plaza just a few doors down there's another new gunshop. There just getting on their feet but I've been in there a couple of times and night and day compared to the shop in the title. I suggest next time your in the vicinity to check out this new shop and maybe we can give them a boost.

I actually stopped in that shop yesterday. He seemed like a nice enough guy. They had a couple used Glocks among other firearms, but mostly it was archery stuff. I suppose nothing is better for your business then to be right next to competition that's awful, so he couldn't do too bad next to TGR.

My opinion is go to Pullman arms in Worc. Gun room is very over priced owners are pushy and the few times I've been there just rude

My opinion is go to Pullman arms in Worc. Gun room is very over priced owners are pushy and the few times I've been there just rude

With all the bad stuff I've been hearing about them for so many years, how do they manage to stay in business ????
Money laundering ???
Secret arms sales to drug cartels ???

[rolleyes]

With all the bad stuff I've been hearing about them for so many years, how do they manage to stay in business ????
Money laundering ???
Secret arms sales to drug cartels ???
[rolleyes]

Drug cartels? Money laundering? Fast & Furious?!?!???!! This thing is about to blow wide open.......[laugh]

When Dowd stops getting free guns from peoples misery is when we'll see the thend of GR. they could never make it as a legit business that has to pay for their inventory.

Back
Top Bottom