• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Room, Shrewsbury, MA

Gun Room handling guns

i have been there several times since i live in town and true they produce and environment that is not exactly consumer friendly. however, i was at several other gun stores they everyone asked to see my license before handling a firearm.

i have been there several times since i live in town and true they produce and environment that is not exactly consumer friendly. however, i was at several other gun stores they everyone asked to see my license before handling a firearm.

That's because they're required to do that by law.

I stand corrected.

Change my post to 'that's because they're trying to avoid getting hassled by the MA AG's office'

Not to sidetrack the thread, but this is erroneous information. MGLs allows for handling of firearms by non licensed individuals under the supervision of licensed individuals. Please read the laws.

Now, obviously if a store wants to make their own policy that's fine, that's their business- but please don't go around telling people that it's because it's the law, when it clearly is
not.

-Mike

Mostly its because they are in the business of selling guns and if you ain't licensed to own one you are wasting their time.

Mostly its because they are in the business of selling guns and if you ain't licensed to own one you are wasting their time.

Might give the guys selling more sit down time if they weed out the folks with a license but it ain't gonna help sell guns.

The store I bought my first gun from is in Woburn. I won't name it because that would be OT. Anyway, this Woburn store not only let me handle the gun that I was interested in but actually let me put a deposit on it 'til my LTC came in. Of course once the LTC came I went and bought the gun and many accessories and ammo. That's the way to run a gun shop.

Not to go too far OT here, but when I first applied for my LTC years ago I "queued up" $1800 worth of handguns at a dealer before my license even arrived. If the dealer had told me to "go screw, I can't let you touch anything" instead of letting me look at stuff and put it on layaway, he would have screwed himself out of $1800 in sales (not to mention all the ammo and accessories I bought at the same time. )

I agree that what you're saying may be true some of the time, it certainly
isn't true -all- of the time.

-Mike

Except that you could have left it at home, or are waiting for it to come in (like the two previous posters). No, this is a stupid policy that does only two things: feeds the egos of the assmuppets behind the counters, and irritates the guys with cash in their pockets.

Except that you could have left it at home, or are waiting for it to come in (like the two previous posters). No, this is a stupid policy that does only two things: feeds the egos of the assmuppets behind the counters, and irritates the guys with cash in their pockets.

Assmuppets? Now you've gone and done it. I just spit my coffee out reading that. I got a visual of the two old guys from the Muppet show sitting behind the counter at the gun room with John in the middle. Now I've got to go clean the monitor.[wink]

Assmuppets? Now you've gone and done it. I just spit my coffee out reading that. I got a visual of the two old guys from the Muppet show sitting behind the counter at the gun room with John in the middle. Now I've got to go clean the monitor.[wink]

Well, it just seems that you need to be a Marine to call someone an
asshat.gif
, so...

You guys should know better than to be drinking while you're reading NES, anyway - how many people have claimed that they've had to replace monitors or keyboards because of coffee damage?? [laugh]

Today was my first trip to the gun room. I needed some ammo that I couldn't find anywhere else and found myself somewhat in the area.

I spent about 15 minutes there and bought the ammo. Based on my experience I give it a thumbs up.

A bunch of guys were talking when I went in. After a couple minutes one broke away and came over to ask if I needed anything which was a plus.

I browsed in peace for the rest of my visit which I enjoy.

Ammo prices looked about on par to me with other gun shops. Gun prices looked a bit higher than a gun shop that I'm more familiar with. I noticed two guns that I've been thinking about, running $50 more than my usual gun shop. $20 is one thing but I would drive across the state to save myself $50. I wish the gun prices were more on line with what I'm used to because the gun room would save me a hell of a drive. This price generalization is based on two guns only. They have a large selection.

As others noted it did smell like smoke. But not nearly as bad as was made out to be in other reviews. Quit crying.

I will go back at least for ammo.

Was there today too, around 12:30. The two John's and Pat were superb in taking care of me and the other customers that were there.
Grow a set of gonads and a spine-quite complaining about the smoke. I don't smoke and don't give a fat rat's arse. FCS, look at how much Greg smokes and he's there all the time.

Was there today too, around 12:30. The two John's and Pat were superb in taking care of me and the other customers that were there.
Grow a set of gonads and a spine-quite complaining about the smoke. I don't smoke and don't give a fat rat's arse. FCS, look at how much Greg smokes and he's there all the time.

They didn't have the ammo I was looking for though..the elusive 17 L.I.P. [rofl]

They didn't have the ammo I was looking for though..the elusive 17 L.I.P. [rofl]

I think that's because it's been renamed. Over in Europe where it's reportedly been developed which is, incidentally, totally untrue, it's called something like the 4.62X90mm LIPS. They don't use +P indicators nor would they on this cartridge seeing how it has no predesessor.

In any event, the proprietor at the subject establishment is a wealth of knowledge on this subject.

Went into the Gun Room on thursday and despite hearing terrible things about the store, I was very surprised. It was pretty busy, and there were two guys helping customers. The owner was in the back, asleep in his recliner. I delt with the older employee, who showed me where the reloading stuff was. I scored 60pcs of .444 Marlin bras for 5$. I did'nt really look at the pistols, but I did look at the long guns, and was surpirsed by the large selection and decent prices. Overall, a good experience.

I go in there may be once a year or every other year usually in slow winter months. I poke around the place and look at stuff in the case if something calls out to me. The older guys are always polite and I ran into the younger guy w/ dark hair at another shop (very friendly & helpful to all my questions ..... LOL). I've purchased Dillion reloading stuff from them in the past and if it wasn't available they told me they could order it or I could order direct as well.

I have gone into the Gun Room off and on for years and I have never had a negative experience there. I am a RI resident and they never treated me like I couldn't be there. I have also bought guns and had them transfer them as well as bought C&R items from them. They have never been anything but friendly and helpful to me and every once in a while I learn something. Any time I have gone there I looked around for a bit and someone has always asked if I needed help. Then tell me to ask if I see something, I never do I like looking around. I just picked up a couple rifles last month from them and I will be back again.

Yeah, I was in there the other day, and had a pretty decent experience as well. They took their time with me at the counter and let me try a few holsters out for my carry piece as well. The counter guy was older and very conversational, but not a BSer. It was better than previous visits, which weren't too traumatic, either.

I too have gone in to The Gun Room at least once or twice a year for the last 15 years or so. The last visit ,this month, was uneventful except for the fact that the owner,at least I think it was, was laying into one of the counter men. It didn't seem to mater that I was there,and I was the only customer in the shop. On the positive side, I was asked if I needed assistance as soon as I entered the shop and I did not notice the smoke smell other have mentioned. Over the years I have had a mixture of positive and negative visits, and have sometimes had the feeling that I was not welcome in the shop. I hope that they can turn the shop around, because they have a lot of interesting stuff and it would be ashame to lose another gun shop in Worcester county.

Last edited:
Did a search and didn't see this posted.

http://www.currentobituary.com/Memory.aspx?Memory_ObitdID=80526

John P. O'Leary, 64
Shrewsbury - John O'Leary,64, owner of the Gun Room, died unexpectedly on Wednesday, June 23, 2010. He leaves his wife Karen, daughter Leah, and granddaughter Fiona. Calling hours at Nordgren Memorial Chapel 300 Lincoln Street, Monday, June 28 from 7-9 pm. A Memorial Mass will be held at St. Bernard's Church on Tuesday, June 29 at 10:00 a.m. Please go directly to St. Bernard's.

Please omit flowers; donations to the American Diabetes Association.

To leave a message of condolence or to get directions to the funeral home; please click link below.

Yes it is. I was there thispast Saturday. The Messers Valentine, Murphy and Cerney were behind the counter. They do an outstanding job. Give them a try.

I have been in there recently too. Some of the cooler militaria has been taken down off the walls (no doubt some of the family wanted it) but its still the same old shop. I know some people are hesitant about going in but I havent been treated poorly. Some things are an OK deal (mostly the rifles) and some things you will get robbed on. Do some research and give them a shot.

I was there this weekend and Still have not had a bad experience. Their stock seems to be going down and not much new to replace it. I know they had a good turnover on used firearms, but they always had more coming in. Maybe more people are holding on to their firearms for the time being.

I went there once an never again, they just lear at you the whole time your browsing.

My recommendation is Nick's in Palmer, it's a ride but it's a great place and friendly.
However I will say that every shop I have been to always asks for my LTC before handling a handgun.

I was in there a couple of weeks ago and picked up some misc items. I rather drive to a local shop and buy something for a couple of bucks more and actually handle the item rather than order it online, receive it and then have to repackage it and send it back. The money you thought you saved you just threw out the door and it will end up costing you MORE. Next time you complain about there being no small gun shops left just remember you put them out of business. [sad]

Some shops will order something and if you don't like it you don't have to take it.

Plenty of good people work at the Gun Room. I've never been in there and not have some one ask me for help. You have to go in and decide for yourself and not go with what some one posts IMHO. They carry a LARGE assortment of different manufacturers of ammo - not just the cheap plinking stuff! You can buy a single box (50 rds) of .22 LR to test it before you go buy a brick of it to find out your semi-auto rifle jams with it.

Ammo prices are high in all the small shops since they can't compete w/ Walmart. :( Most of the people who have keys to the ammo area don't know anything about guns. [hmmm] Think of the time you waste walking around trying to nail down who has the keys. [laugh]

Sorry for the rant. [thinking]

I agree 100% with MD2020 and always will go to the local gunshop before wasting my time with the giant box stores. These gunshop owners are the ones who truly support our 2nd amendment time after time! If the gungrabbers did succeed you think Wallyworld or Dicks would give a hoot????? Don't get me wrong I shop at Wallyworld for other items because they have good pricing but not any firearm related items. I was in the firearm industry for a little over twenty years and always heard the BS that they could get that gun $50 or $100 cheaper. We would always tell them go for it it's your money but when you come back for repairs you get the special rate!!!! This whole issue does not only relate to firearms it goes right across the board to building supplies groceries etc. The little guy has been eliminated and so has friendly knowledgeable service!!!
Just My Opinion!!!!

Back
Top Bottom