Gun Room, Shrewsbury, MA

someone looking in to slander lawsuits

Slander's verbal, you mean libel. Further, it isn't libel, it's opinion. I can say 'I think your store sucks' and you can't sue me as I'm merely expressing my opinion of your store. I can even say 'I think the store sucks because everytime I've been there the staff has a shitty attitude' and it STILL isn't libel - it remains opinion.

Now, if I were to make a fact based statement that was false, say something like (and I'm not mind you, this is merely an illustration of the concept), "I think the store sucks because they sell magazines advertised as pre-ban when they're not," I MIGHT be guilty of libel. Were I to be sued, I could defend myself by demonstrating it's true. If I couldn't do that and IF you or the store could prove actual damages directly related to my comment then they or you might win a libel suit.

Aside from that, it's just opinion.

That's exaclty what I was wondering. That building there on Route 9 has to be a good sized lease, I don't see how he can move enough inventory. Maybe he uses it to launder money? [twisted]

John; who "owns" the shop does not own the building. Pete dowd does. He owns the whole plaza. He also owns the Village gun shop on RTE. 9 in Northboro.

Really, I always had good experience at that place but I have not been there in years. Last time was twice within 5 yrs I would say and I went in and handled all kinds of rifles and ammo but no handguns. I used to go there just for reloading supplies. Oh well, maybe I won't stop when out that way tomm.

i was doing a search online to get address/directions and this thread came up. Myabe I will go in just to report how they are and if they are PMS'ing.

They truly suck. If a female goes into the shop alone, she will be pounced on by the guys and not left alone to "shop."

Yup, they suck at The Gun Room.

Worse yet, they've been known to take a deposit on a used weapon and then not deliver the weapon OR refund the deposit. In other words, they stole a $100 deposit from a woman I know.

They truly suck. If a female goes into the shop alone, she will be pounced on by the guys and not left alone to "shop."

Worse yet, they've been known to take a deposit on a used weapon and then not deliver the weapon OR refund the deposit. In other words, they stole a $100 deposit from a woman I know.

This sounds like a job for Interceptor. Her and the negotiating shirt... and one of her Glocks... preferably a Glock 18.

So, Interceptor... you up for an NES mission???

[grin]

Rich

I've been in there twice this past month, mostly just to price some things out, and see what the various shops have on hand.

First trip was on a whim on a Saturday afternoon, as I was driving by from another errand. There were a couple older guys back behind the counter a ways, not moving, and a young guy selling a rifle to someone who needed to boost his manhood by asking question about the gun that he would then answer himself. I poked around a bit, looked at the used pistols, and after about 10 min, it was apparent the rambo customer wasn't going to leave anytime soon, now were any of the old guys coming forward to speak with me.

The younger guy working the counter, Randy, I believe he said, was trying to be helpful, but was engaged with the rambo wannabe.

I came back a week or so later and it was quiet, and I examined a few 22s I'm considering for my son to use with me at the range, and chatted a bit. no big deal, they seemed OK. one old guy, John, I assume from his moustache, was still hiding out back, while the other kept trying to drag Randy away from me so he could send a fax for him. Apparently he doesn't know how to use the machine [laugh]

I guess it's what you expect. I wasn't expecting much, so I wasn't unhappy with them. I just wanted to look around a bit.

They seemed to have a bit more ammo on the shelves than some of the other places I had seen recently, but I didn't really get into checking their prices, which may explain supply.

I've been in there twice this past month, mostly just to price some things out, and see what the various shops have on hand.

First trip was on a whim on a Saturday afternoon, as I was driving by from another errand. There were a couple older guys back behind the counter a ways, not moving, and a young guy selling a rifle to someone who needed to boost his manhood by asking question about the gun that he would then answer himself. I poked around a bit, looked at the used pistols, and after about 10 min, it was apparent the rambo customer wasn't going to leave anytime soon, now were any of the old guys coming forward to speak with me.

The younger guy working the counter, Randy, I believe he said, was trying to be helpful, but was engaged with the rambo wannabe.

I came back a week or so later and it was quiet, and I examined a few 22s I'm considering for my son to use with me at the range, and chatted a bit. no big deal, they seemed OK. one old guy, John, I assume from his moustache, was still hiding out back, while the other kept trying to drag Randy away from me so he could send a fax for him. Apparently he doesn't know how to use the machine [laugh]

I guess it's what you expect. I wasn't expecting much, so I wasn't unhappy with them. I just wanted to look around a bit.

They seemed to have a bit more ammo on the shelves than some of the other places I had seen recently, but I didn't really get into checking their prices, which may explain supply.

There is no 'Randy' that works there..

Last edited:
There is no 'Randy' that works there..

"The younger guy working the counter, Randy, I believe he said, was trying to be helpful, but was engaged with the rambo wannabe."

Dayzer....I think it would be more productive if you added to your reply, the employee's correct name, because i believe Friday insinuated a disclaimer in his/her post and meant no disrespect.

I know someone that works there and is or was a Green Member of the forum, who's name can easily be mistaken as "Randy".

By the way..it was nice to meet you ( i'm pretty sure we met two weeks ago) and experience firsthand your enthusiasm working for The Gun Room.

Last edited:
"The younger guy working the counter, Randy, I believe he said, was trying to be helpful, but was engaged with the rambo wannabe."

Dayzer....I think it would be more productive if you added to your reply, the employee's correct name, because i believe Friday insinuated a disclaimer in his/her post and meant no disrespect.

I know someone that works there and is or was a Green Member of the forum, who's name can easily be mistaken as "Randy".

By the way..it was nice to meet you ( i'm pretty we met two weeks ago) and experience firsthand your enthusiasm working for The Gun Room.

Sorry didn't mean anything derogatory. by saying there is no randy that works there. I don't think it'd be right for me to go telling names of employee's though. I'm sure it was a pleasure to meet you as well.

I certainly could have remembered (or "misremembered" a la Roger Clemens [grin]) the gentleman's name incorrectly, hence my disclaimer.

No harm, no foul.

"Randy" was trying, and doing OK as far as I'm concerned. no disrespect intended toward him, whatever his real name may be.

I was there today. . . I was in the area and thought I'd stop in. Dave (the young kid?) was really good, very helpful. I left empty handed, but would go back based on our interaction.

Additionally, another customer came in while I was there and spoke to another guy (I don't know his name, late 20's maybe, black hair) and from what I heard of that intereaction I would say that was a possitive experience too. He was helping the guy pick ammo for his new M&P 15.

The dark-haired fella is the mysterious "Randy" whose name I've misplaced.[thinking]

JoeT's experience echoes mine. I'll probably go back tomorrow for another look and maybe <gasp> actually *buy* something. [smile].

I was there today. . . I was in the area and thought I'd stop in. Dave (the young kid?) was really good, very helpful. I left empty handed, but would go back based on our interaction.

Additionally, another customer came in while I was there and spoke to another guy (I don't know his name, late 20's maybe, black hair) and from what I heard of that intereaction I would say that was a possitive experience too. He was helping the guy pick ammo for his new M&P 15.

Thank you very much, i'm happy you had a positive experience, and even more that you would come back based on our interaction.

Also, Friday: the "Randy" guy. His name is Rene. like a Rainy day. [smile]

I went in there alone and was treated okay. John (?) Valentine helped me and he was fine.
"ghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbv" says my cat Madison.

I have to admit the last 5 or so times I've been in there recently I've had a good experience. Today I was asked if I needed help, they had what I wanted and I bought and left.

Yeah some of their prices aren't what I would pay for some things, but that is their prerogative to set the price and my prerogative to decide if I will buy or not.

However, I went in there about 4 or 5 years ago and had a real crappy experience and it took me this long to start going back there. Back then Village was still open and was closer so I just would go there.

Becka were you there today? @ 1:00-1:30?

They're getting better.

At less than eight miles from my home, I am glad to report that this shop is improving. Alas some things have changed while others have not.

I've been there a couple of times of the last six months or so for powder. They have what I use at a fair price. The guy with the "Vin's TV" jacket has taken care of me a few times and was good to deal with. A couple of weeks ago when I went in, there were a couple of guys smoking cigars despite the prominent No Smoking sign. [thinking]
It didn't bother me as I like stogies myself, I just find it funny.

There were a couple of young ladies looking at handguns and a young guy was helping them out. Regardless, he acknowledged me and asked if he could help me. I told him I needed two pounds of Blue Dot and pointed to it on the bottom shelf behind him. As he was ringing up my purchase, he not only asked me if there was anything else I needed, [thumbs-up] but also told me that in the future I could just grab the powder off the shelf and bring it to the register if I wanted.
I was kind of surprised because the powder shelf is behind the gun case by the door and I did not think that they wanted/allowed any customers back there.

Overall, a good experience as long as one dose not expect to see any firearms at bargain basement prices.

Michael.

WOW! I think this thread is actually going to start helping their business sooner or later. It's like when there's a car crash on the pike. Sooner or later the traffic starts piling up and people will pile in to see what the fuss is about...

I personally have never been there but I am tempted to stop in one day just to see for myself. Although I think I will be giggling uncontrollably the whole time...[coffee]

As A n00b, and an unemployed on at that (read Looots of free time on my hands) I've done a bit of a tour of the greater central ma gunshops just to load the buffers and build a background database on availability, pricing, service, etc.

In my sampling, and these guys got more visits due to proximity, I can't say they were outliers in terms of service, attitude or offering. The two younger guys working the counter were fine. prices are about what you see nowadays.

who knows? maybe we finally have one "change you can believe in" [laugh]

Gun Room Shrewsbury

I have been in this store and have done business with them. The service was not the best when I did. But getting back to your gripe. Yes, it is against the law for them to allow you to handle a firearm without a proper license. Does not matter what you look like or what impression you gave them. Understand it from their point, you could be an undercover BATF agent posing as a customer (BATF does these things) and bag his butt and close the store, end of story. Its not his fault, if you have a gripe, bring it to your legislators who make and break the laws in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts.

I have been in this store and have done business with them. The service was not the best when I did. But getting back to your gripe. Yes, it is against the law for them to allow you to handle a firearm without a proper license. Does not matter what you look like or what impression you gave them. Understand it from their point, you could be an undercover BATF agent posing as a customer (BATF does these things) and bag his butt and close the store, end of story. Its not his fault, if you have a gripe, bring it to your legislators who make and break the laws in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but this is erroneous information. MGLs allows for handling of firearms by non licensed individuals under the supervision of licensed individuals. Please read the laws.

Now, obviously if a store wants to make their own policy that's fine, that's their business- but please don't go around telling people that it's because it's the law, when it clearly is
not.

-Mike

Handling of firearms

I knew this was so when at Ranges and clubs etc, allowing the handling of firearms under a licensed individuals supervision, but was always told by "dealers" that they could not if if the individual was not licensed. Maybe it was a liabililty issue and not a firearm law. But stand corrected here.

I visited The Gun Room today. They were very courteous. The good news is that they have all sorts of ammo. The bad news is that they're limiting quanities to 1 box of each type per person per day. Their prices seem a bit high. I bought my limit, but not before I was repeatedly swept by an old guy with a stogie (owner I think) showing a customer some rifles. I can understand a little absentmindedness and maybe swinging the thing towards the customers once, but this happened several times. I got my ammo and got the heck out of there. That is all.

Back
Top Bottom