Gun Room, Shrewsbury, MA

Well im not trying to turn the store around. Mainly if i had any goal to get to or a point to make it would basically be to cover my own ass (and a few people i work with). As far as what the store, staff and owner have done for me: Is to give me the opportunity to learn something i have always had a great interest in. Before i worked there i was weary of guns, but now im Pro gun, all for it. My views on firearms have changed since my time at the gun room and i've met some great people. As for some of you here who have had a bad experience, im sorry for you. Everybody i have dealt with personally in the store has had a good time to my knowledge. Whether they got what they needed or not, i've helped to my full potential for the time being.
Good point about the smoke, it's not the first complaint we've had about it. However, unfortunately i am a smoker [shocked]

Good point about the smoke, it's not the first complaint we've had about it. However, unfortunately i am a smoker [shocked]
And that prevents you from stepping OUTSIDE of the store every couple of hours?

Hey, it's your store. Just be aware that I'm not the only customer who won't go in there because of the stench. *shrug*

Oh, well. I tried.

Smoking in the workplace is a huge NO, NO. The City Inspector or the BOH has the ability to shut you down. Does not matter if the owner says it's ok to smoke in the building. I have family that own restaurants and bars. They fought against this tooth and nail, I for one am glad that it passed. Nothing worse than trying to taste food when all you can smell is second hand smoke.

MGL chapter 270, section 22

The Massachusetts Smoke-free Workplace Law (MGL chapter 270, section 22, “An Act to Improve the Public Health in the Commonwealth”), effective 07/05/2004, prohibits smoking in workplaces, including private offices, taxis, restaurants and bars in order to protect employees and the public from secondhand smoke. This law amends the 1988 Massachusetts Clean Indoor Air Law.

EDIT: Getting shut down only pertains to places that serve food, if the food service people are caught smoking while working. You'll just get fined if people complain to the BOH.

Last edited:
ive heard nothing but bad things about the shop from various people. I figured someday I would go there anyway as I'm learning in Mass its all about availability in the "used" firearm market.

however the fact that smoking is allowed just clearly shows this shop is not someplace I want to spend any of my hard earned cash. You wont see me in the shop, while this smoking policy is in place.

Just a bad overall policy...

ive heard nothing but bad things about the shop from various people. I figured someday I would go there anyway as I'm learning in Mass its all about availability in the "used" firearm market.

however the fact that smoking is allowed just clearly shows this shop is not someplace I want to spend any of my hard earned cash. You wont see me in the shop, while this smoking policy is in place.

Just a bad overall policy...

I never said i didn't step outside, or go to some other area. But you're all absolutely correct. Smoking in a work environment is wrong for the people who don't smoke. But the people who come to the gun room know what goes on. They know about the owner, they know about the smoke, and they know about the 'stories'. Even if i were to quit smoking, i'd NEVER get half of the people there to stop. Actually, the gun room is a hang out for some old timers who like to come in get a coffee and smoke they're cigar's. Whatever, it's not my store. I just work there.

I never said i didn't step outside, or go to some other area. But you're all absolutely correct. Smoking in a work environment is wrong for the people who don't smoke. But the people who come to the gun room know what goes on. They know about the owner, they know about the smoke, and they know about the 'stories'. Even if i were to quit smoking, i'd NEVER get half of the people there to stop. Actually, the gun room is a hang out for some old timers who like to come in get a coffee and smoke they're cigar's. Whatever, it's not my store. I just work there.

Answer this: Do they still have the "No Smoking" sign up in the front window? [rolleyes] No, I'm not kidding. Awhile back I noticed it while frequenting a nearby store and couldn't help but laugh.

Well I like the idea of smoking everywhere! I'm gonna stop by just so i can light one up against smoker oppression!

aaaw poor rickster are you offended one of the experts didn't drop down to their knee's and offer you a blowjob?
man i've been in there many times, yeah sometimes they can be pricks but lets face it, we're just some bunch of guys in a gun store.

You are lucky you dont work for me. If I was your boss and saw this you would be in the unemployment line, no matter how much you backpedaled in your subsequent posts.

Welp, that settles that. I'm all set with the Gun Room. Still. Cocky, inappropriate business attitudes like yours and your bosses, just doesn't make me want to spend time or money at that establishment. What a joke. [rolleyes]

You can call me cocky, that's fine. You told me you would fire me all i did was say you would value me as an employee how is that inappropriate business attitude?

In court slander is anything that cannot be proven

So... you're saying that it's slander if we can't PROVE that the guy in the store tells wild stories and treats his customers like crap? [rolleyes] Maybe I should wear one of those pen video recorders and go in to the Gun Room some day and post the footage.

Oh please...slander. You can't even form a coherent English sentence sans misspellings. You want us to believe that you have mastered the dewy decimal system at your local library? Hell, I'd say you typed the word "slander" into Google, read the first hit from a budget online dictionary, and then returned to share your newfound wealth of knowledge.

You could no more sue this Board or anyone on it than you could find a lawyer that would tolerate your stupidity long enough to call you a client.

By your definition slander, if I said that the owner of the Gun Room regularly hires high school drop outs who like to diddle little children, it would be slander.

Now that, in your mind, would be slander because, while it's probably true, it can't be proved without endangering the safety of a child.

In reality, it's far from slander. In fact, it's just an educated guess.

No, slander would be something related to your business. For instance, if we were picking on your boss (you?) for telling endless lies about his experience in an attempt to create a veneer of credulity long since lost to the tides of bullshit, and in the course of this criticism, we mentioned that you routinely sold post ban-Cmags as pre-ban merch. Well, that might actually be slander because unlike the kiddie-diddling charge that we're all pretty sure of, we don't actually have any proof that you've been selling illegal mags to unsuspecting customers. Therefore, that sort of statement would be slander.

Again: You are a child molester? Nope, not slanderous.

Again: You sell illegal magazines? Possibly slanderous.

Here's another way to think about it. If we stated that only self-important losers who have nothing better to do than sit in a low-end gun store all day and surround themselves with the only people who could possibly make them look better by comparison, frequent your store. If we said something like that, again, would not be slander. It's just an observation.

However, if we said we don't feel comfortable knowing people like you are walking the streets and we like to keep our children under a watchful eye in your neck of the woods, well, that's just another observation. Still not into slander yet.

At this point I'm just amusing myself so I'll stop but really, don't come on here waving around big words you don't understand of we'll be forced call you more names....

You can call me cocky, that's fine. You told me you would fire me all i did was say you would value me as an employee how is that inappropriate business attitude?

Show me where I stated that I would fire you. That's right, I never said that. Its up to your boss to fire you. I could never fire you if I ran a business because with an attitude like yours, you never would have been hired to begin with.

And +1 to Derek. RM is an idiot. Slander lawsuits? Please. You're not helping your cause by posting here, only hurting it. Especially by making threats, however frivilous they may be.

I stopped in there today (totally not putting together this thread with the store).
No one treated me poorly (except I was told I had to show my license before I could handle a gun).
I am a newbie so I don't know much, and I am looking to purchase my first gun.
That being said, it's sad when I know more about what I'm looking for than the salesman.
He was polite and looked up exactly what I wanted, and then wrote it down in case I wanted to order it.
I was quoted $25 more here than I was at the Middleboro shop...though this one does have a Hi-viz site.

Good point about the smoke, it's not the first complaint we've had about it. However, unfortunately i am a smoker
Since smoking is not allowed in the workplace in MA, the staff does not have a choice in the matter, and must not smoke in the store. The entire point of "laws" is that those subject to them do not choose which ones apply to them (unless, of course, they hold a diplomatic passport with immunity recognition from a country with relations with the US).

So, is it the shop's position that they do not have to follow laws they do not like?

Back
Top Bottom