• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Control Deal Reached in the Senate

Yea it is.

Ayotte is really confusing the hell out of me.

On the one hand she wrote a decently good response to the letters were are sending her to not vote for this BS.

Then she turns around and sides with those listed above.

This isn't a WTF moment for us with regard to Ayotte but it is concerning.

If she votes yes on the final bill, then it is a WTF moment considering what she has stated in her responses to us.

Ayotte is struggling to remain credible - taking an "extreme" stance cancels any potential for a junior Senator. Blame the less junior or more senior Senators more for not backing a filibuster. If she votes for the "right" bill (which today is no bill), then she remains useful.

On another topic - the "announced" agreement is not quoted in detail anywhere - I scanned the thread and Google, but see no text. I assume there is no final text yet, for either the NRA-rejected or NRA-backed bill/amendment? No doubt they are market-testing the plan to see what ending sells...

the expansion of FOPA, glocks, and CZs make me quiver, but the prospect of additional legislation and the possibility for it to be instantly abused (why would they do ANYTHING in our favor?) makes me go instantly soft.

the expansion of FOPA, glocks, and CZs make me quiver, but the prospect of additional legislation and the possibility for it to be instantly abused (why would they do ANYTHING in our favor?) makes me go instantly soft.

I believe the states are free to impose their own additional restrictions, which would most likely negate any benefit from this bill wrt interstate transfers. I hope I'm wrong, but look at the current situation in MA.

I believe the states are free to impose their own additional restrictions, which would most likely negate any benefit from this bill wrt interstate transfers. I hope I'm wrong, but look at the current situation in MA.

A state can not make it illegal to buy something while in another state, no matter how hard that c*** martha tries. The only way they could stop it would be to literally make it illegal to own guns that aren't on the list.

or prosecute any FFL willing to transfer guns in like with mike--a true patriot, btw.

the thanks of a grateful nation back home in MA. disgusting.

Once it's all ironed out I'll re-judge it. You don't get sweeping legislation in Washington, it just doesn't happen. It is quite possible this bill MAY help us more than it hurts us. If the anti's fail to realize that, than not our problem.

Mike

So I'm still researching. I missed the talk earlier. Is this a ... relatively good thing? I know we shouldn't give them an inch.... But if this will keep the liberal public quiet... Is it a good thing? Besides giving up FTF transfers, what are we losing? VS What we're getting?

So I'm still researching. I missed the talk earlier. Is this a ... relatively good thing? I know we shouldn't give them an inch.... But if this will keep the liberal public quiet... Is it a good thing? Besides giving up FTF transfers, what are we losing? VS What we're getting?

Giving them an inch to shut up is never a good thing. Giving them and inch and us 3 inches and them shutting up to boot, can be a good thing, IMO. Of course some here will just refuse to budge period even if it actually makes things worse. Thats cool, and I can respect that, but as a practical matter Id like to see things get better.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Under current Federal law, an FFL/licensee cannot transfer a firearm to a resident of another State if it would be in violation of that States gun laws...

Q: May a licensed dealer sell a firearm to a non-licensee who is a resident of another State?

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)]

This is why that even though an FFL in another State can sell you a longarm (without it having to be shipped to a MA FFL), it would still be illegal for them to sell you a post ban AR in pre-ban configuration.

IOW... if this legislation passes, it doesn't mean a MA LTC holder can go to the Kittery Trading Post and legally purchase an "off llist" handgun and walk out the door with it. However... that same person could legally purchase any of the "approved" handguns without having to have it shipped to a MA FFL.

Regardless how this new scheme is supposed to work, I wouldn't count on too many out of state FFL's that would be willing to conduct the sale because one... they're not going to take the time (or care), to understand MA firearms laws, and two... they're not about to risk the chance that any sale they make, or their business practice, could come under the scrutiny of the MA AG's office.

Mind you, IANAL, so I could easily be completely wrong about this. [wink]

A state can not make it illegal to buy something while in another state, no matter how hard that c*** martha tries. The only way they could stop it would be to literally make it illegal to own guns that aren't on the list.

Doesn't matter what the States say or do... rules governing what an FFL cann and cannot do is dictated by Federal law.

Under current Federal law, an FFL/licensee cannot transfer a firearm to a resident of another State if it would be in violation of that States gun laws...

This is why that even though an FFL in another State can sell you a longarm (without it having to be shipped to a MA FFL), it would still be illegal for them to sell you a post ban AR in pre-ban configuration.

IOW... if this legislation passes, it doesn't mean a MA LTC holder can go to the Kittery Trading Post and legally purchase an "off llist" handgun and walk out the door with it. However... that same person could legally purchase any of the "approved" handguns without having to have it shipped to a MA FFL.

Regardless how this new scheme is supposed to work, I wouldn't count on too many out of state FFL's that would be willing to conduct the sale because one... they're not going to take the time (or care), to understand MA firearms laws, and two... they're not about to risk the chance that any sale they make, or their business practice, could come under the scrutiny of the MA AG's office.

Mind you, IANAL, so I could easily be completely wrong about this. [wink]

Doesn't matter what the States say or do... rules governing what an FFL cann and cannot do is dictated by Federal law.

By list you mean EOPS list.

AG regs mean nothing as far as what you are talking about.

Ayotte is struggling to remain credible - taking an "extreme" stance cancels any potential for a junior Senator. Blame the less junior or more senior Senators more for not backing a filibuster. If she votes for the "right" bill (which today is no bill), then she remains useful.

On another topic - the "announced" agreement is not quoted in detail anywhere - I scanned the thread and Google, but see no text. I assume there is no final text yet, for either the NRA-rejected or NRA-backed bill/amendment? No doubt they are market-testing the plan to see what ending sells...

AYOTTE is STABBING THE GUN OWNERS IN THE BACK!!!
if she votes for cloture under the cover of guise of "we can debate the issue" she is wrong!!! We do not have the votes in the Senate to kill this bill or any of the bad amendments that Reid wants to insert, The ONLY WAY TO STOP THE PASSAGE OF THIS BILL IS TO NEVER START THE DEBATE!!!

Feel free to quote me and email Sen. Ayotte with my comments.

Rep. Hoell

GOA alert below:
---
GOA New Hampshire: Kelly Ayotte is Stabbing Gun Owners in the Back
logo *Gun Owners of America*
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Urge Ayotte to support the Paul-Cruz-Lee filibuster!

For weeks --- weeks --- liberal pundits and Obama administration
officials (speaking on condition of anonymity) have made it clear what
their plan is.

Once gun control is brought to the floor, Democratic leader Harry Reid
will use his privileged recognition to bash Republicans over and over again.

Obama, Biden, Reid, and the liberal pundits will accuse the GOP of
supporting rapists, murderers, bank robbers, and every other kind of
evil doer.

The one way the Republicans can avoid this two-week bash-o-thon is by
stopping the bill from coming up --- which they have the votes to do, if
Kelly Ayotte doesn't defect.

But now comes Senator Kelly Ayotte to publicly announce, as she told
Andrea Mitchell on MSNBC today, that "I don't support a filibuster" ---
a position which will actually hand Obama twenty votes, because Senate
Democrats will want to vote on a plethora of anti-gun proposals.

Apparently, Ayotte has no problem with Obama and Biden spending two
weeks beating her and other Republicans over the head again and again
and again -- as Democrats quite openly admit it's their intention to
"exploit" Newtown for political gain. Democrat ex-Pennsylvania Governor
Ed Rendell went so far as to say Democrats were "lucky" that so many
children died.

And their "lucky streak" could continue unless Ayotte supports the
Paul-Cruz-Lee filibuster and opposes cloture on the motion to proceed to
the gun control extravaganza.

ACTION: Click here to contact Senator Ayotte
<http://www.capwiz.com/gunowners/issues/alert/?alertid=62580451>;. Tell
her to oppose cloture on the motion to proceed to the gun control
bash-o-thon. Urge her to stand with Senators Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and
Mike Lee.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not reply directly to this message, as your reply will bounce
back as undeliverable.
Please forward this e-mail to friends and family
Gun Owners of America
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102
Springfield, VA 22151 703-321-8585
Gun Owners of America <http://www.gunowners.org/>;
Contact Form <http://gunowners.net/cgi-bin/ttx.cgi?cmd=newticket>;
If this alert was forwarded to you, you can subscribe to receive alerts
directly by clicking here. <http://www.gunowners.org/ean.htm>;

Last edited:
E-mailing and calling only works if they listen. Now, I'm saddled with Pat "Leaky" Leahy for one of my Senators. He's already in trouble with a lot of folks up here because his office has lied, saying we supported him, when we said the exact opposite. On the other hand, we know we've hit a nerve, because it's rumored he won't run for reelection next time around. Incumbents up here that have a good idea they'll lose generally don't run. That piece of sea scum (Leahy) ought to keep his sorry posterior in DC, because he damned sure isn't welcome back here.

A few questions, with the expansion of the background checks proposed in this bill to include mental health records, does that include EVERYONE's mental health records or just those who have been deemed by a physician to be a potential threat to themselves or others? Also, by exempting P2P transfers between family, friends, neighbors, etc, wouldn't that effectively cancel out anything bad in this bill? I mean if asked, you could always just say the guy selling you something at a gun show is your buddy from way back. (that's if anyone would bother to ask, which I doubt they would). Also, the interstate handgun sales provision is a beautiful thing, no? As long as only potentially dangerous people get their medical records submitted to NICS, I don't really see this bill causing much of a problem or hurting us in any way. Plus it'll shut the moonbats up for a while because they will have been duped into thinking they did something... just my take.

A few questions, with the expansion of the background checks proposed in this bill to include mental health records, does that include EVERYONE's mental health records or just those who have been deemed by a physician to be a potential threat to themselves or others? Also, by exempting P2P transfers between family, friends, neighbors, etc, wouldn't that effectively cancel out anything bad in this bill? I mean if asked, you could always just say the guy selling you something at a gun show is your buddy from way back. (that's if anyone would bother to ask, which I doubt they would). Also, the interstate handgun sales provision is a beautiful thing, no? As long as only potentially dangerous people get their medical records submitted to NICS, I don't really see this bill causing much of a problem or hurting us in any way. Plus it'll shut the moonbats up for a while because they will have been duped into thinking they did something... just my take.

Sure, go ahead and cede more ground. I'm sure this time they'll say we have enough laws, and I'm sure they'd never demand everyone's records [rolleyes]

What we need are laws to be repealed, not new ones passed.

Sure, go ahead and cede more ground. I'm sure this time they'll say we have enough laws, and I'm sure they'd never demand everyone's records [rolleyes]

What we need are laws to be repealed, not new ones passed.

Agreed, but wouldn't allowing out of state handgun purchases be repealing a long standing law? I agree that the background check shit is uncalled for, but the pro gun provisions they included are also quite interesting. Pointing that out isn't really ceding any ground.

We can amend existing laws to afford gun owners greater protection or ability to exercise our rights, while at the same time giving them something which has no effect on any of us who follow the law, and shuts them up. Yes, of course they will be back when it doesn't work.

As far as repealing laws... the only way that will happen at this point is through various findings from SCOTUS. While it would be awesome to do that, it aint happening any other way.

Mike

Post to Ayotte's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/kellyayottenh?ref=ts&fref=ts
She is starting to hear from some, 300 posts on her face book page could go a long way to fixing this:
-Design
--
There is going to be a cloture vote in the US Senate on the ANTI-GUN legislation that Obama is pushing. Any vote to support the cloture is a vote against the gun owners in NH.

THERE IS NOTHING TO DEBATE!
-We do not have the votes to stop the bill as a simple majority, so our only option is to never have the debate.

People need to call Sen. Ayotte and ask her to support the Paul-Cruz-Lee filibuster!
Currently she is supporting the Dems and their vote to bring the discussion up on the floor.

PS. The vote may be on Thursday 4/11.
PPS. Here is the link to the Gun Owners of America alert on this:
take-action
PPPS. Post to Ayotte's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/kellyayottenh?ref=ts&fref=ts

Back
Top Bottom