Gun Control Deal Reached in the Senate

We have bad gun laws on the books now. As this appears I have no objections. It may actually improve the overall situation by getting rid of more bad than it adds. But I'm also more flexoble than a lot of you.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Chris Murphy is back on CSpan. He's talking about how much the Columbine kids loved their families, how one of them would be 30 and would now be an OBGYN - we need more doctors in this country, and now we're short one because she was gunned down.

He's literally been going on about 10 minutes about the hopes and dreams of these kids.

Disgusting. Let's all make laws based on emotion, right?

This provision is interesting:

- Fixes interstate travel laws for sportsmen who transport their firearms across state lines in a responsible manner. The term "transport" includes staying in temporary lodging overnight, stopping for food, buying fuel, vehicle maintenance, and medical treatment.
Thought FOPA already covered this? I could be wrong.
and this one

- Authorizes use of a state concealed carry permit instead of a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer. (no more 3-5 delay for me now!!!)

and this one

- Permits interstate handgun sales from dealers.

I am guessing these are to appease people to go along with the crap provisions.

Perhaps they should have a seperate bill and [STRIKE=Give these Back]give these[/STRIKE] Give these back to us?

speeches given from atop a mountain of victims, how do words help?New laws and regulations do nothing but allow idiotic liberals the ability to sleep at night thinking they have made a difference. America wasnt built with laws and regulations and speeches, it was built by action.

Hey Chris, this graph does nothing for me. I even tried maxing out my anti-aliasing... [wink]

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-04-10%2520at%25202.16.27%2520PM.png

Back to story time with Chris.

Reid REALLY doesn't want a vote on anything. He'd love a filibuster so they could blame R's and keep the political issue where it works, raise money off it and allow the D's in red states to say they are pro guns. If there is a vote, the D's are screwed. They either vote pro gun and do right for their voters but tick off the liberals or vice versa. If they vote pro gun, the liberal money will dry up. The red state D's get a chuck of money from liberals on the coasts. They are between a rock and a hard place.

Reid is the consummate politician. Republicans, by and large, are morons. They need to be careful with their wanting this to come to a vote. Reid won't let it happen unless there's a good chance of passage. They bought votes for the Affordable Care Act, they'll do the same for this.

Another developing angle on this story started with media questioning of the two senators after the press conference. It is very clear the media is trying to frame the story as a defeat for the NRA and a loss of its clout as two "A" rated senators buck the NRA and support expanded background checks. The media desperately needs to marginalize the NRA and these two grandstanding buffoons only served to fan the flames today.

Chris Murphy is back on CSpan. He's talking about how much the Columbine kids loved their families, how one of them would be 30 and would now be an OBGYN - we need more doctors in this country, and now we're short one because she was gunned down.

He's literally been going on about 10 minutes about the hopes and dreams of these kids.

Disgusting. Let's all make laws based on emotion, right?

surprised to see columbine brought up considering that it went down during the time of federal AWB utopia (tm)(r)(c).

He blamed the lack of universal background checks as the cause.

you mean that would have stopped the girl from making straw purchases for harris and klebold?

FANTASTIC, DIPSHIT, TELL ME MORE!

...and that's why i am not allowed into these hearings.

We can buy a watered down version of an AR-15, not what we want to buy.

We can't buy ammo without a permit.

All of our firearms must be registered, not just AR's.

We can only have magazines of more than 10 rounds if they are manufactured before a certain date.

We can only buy "approved" firearms from a government list.

If the chief of police in your town doesn't like you, you can't buy anything.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for you and all of Connecticut. I will never stop fighting them as long as I live in the northeast. Which may not be too much longer.

Good luck and keep on fighting.

Jarhead,
You are simply wrong on a number of these items.

The watered down AR that mass residents can buy is still a fully functional AR. I actually own several pre-ban guns and prefer a fixed stock and muzzle brake on them even though I don't have to use them. But its about choice. MA is wrong for restricting you, but its not so bad.

All your firearms must not be registered. MA tracks in state transactions, it does not track ownership. I moved my family from CT to MA and was not required to notify them of any of the firearms I came in with. Even the ARs.

Under CT's new law, you will only be able to register ARs owned before 4/4/13. After that NO MORE CAN BE PURCHASED, OR BROUGHT IN. Done. If you didn't own an AR15 by 4/4/13, you can never own one in CT. There is some discussion about CA style ARs, but you may actually have to leave the handguard off of it.

There are no pre-ban mags anymore in CT. Even if it is of higher capacity, you can only load 10 rounds into it if you are carrying a gun. How's that for stupidity.

Re approved handguns and carry permits, CT is still worlds better than MA.

In general CT is much better than CT as far as carrying, transport and the acquisition of handguns.

Its worse with respect to long guns that have any kind of military features.

Jarhead,
You are simply wrong on a number of these items.

The watered down AR that mass residents can buy is still a fully functional AR. I actually own several pre-ban guns and prefer a fixed stock and muzzle brake on them even though I don't have to use them. But its about choice. MA is wrong for restricting you, but its not so bad.

All your firearms must not be registered. MA tracks in state transactions, it does not track ownership. I moved my family from CT to MA and was not required to notify them of any of the firearms I came in with. Even the ARs.

Under CT's new law, you will only be able to register ARs owned before 4/4/13. After that NO MORE CAN BE PURCHASED, OR BROUGHT IN. Done. If you didn't own an AR15 by 4/4/13, you can never own one in CT. There is some discussion about CA style ARs, but you may actually have to leave the handguard off of it.

There are no pre-ban mags anymore in CT. Even if it is of higher capacity, you can only load 10 rounds into it if you are carrying a gun. How's that for stupidity.

Re approved handguns and carry permits, CT is still worlds better than MA.

In general CT is much better than CT as far as carrying, transport and the acquisition of handguns.

Its worse with respect to long guns that have any kind of military features.

1. you can't have a collapsible stock on your AR in Ma. The flash suppressor must be pinned, and no bayonet lug. I'm right on this one.

2. Registration. I am wrong on this one.

3. Everything else I said is correct.

Originally Posted by Baystatesuks
and this one

- Authorizes use of a state concealed carry permit instead of a background check when purchasing a firearm from a dealer. (no more 3-5 delay for me now!!!)

In a case like this, does state law supersede federal law, i.e. if federal law rules does that mean we just show our LTC to the dealer and fill out the FA10, no fingerprint needed?

1) I guess how you like to use your AR makes a difference. Like I said. Most of my ARs are built on pre-ban lowers and I still prefer a fixed stock and a brake. I could not care less if I have a bayonet lug. The only reason I have pre-bans is because as I CT resident I own several silencers. I also like to experiment with muzzle brakes.

Botom line, I think we agree on this, an AR with a fixed stock, a pinned brake and no bayonet lug is still an AR. Its just as effective a weapon in 99% of all situations. Its just as fun a toy in 99% of all situations.

Also - MA still has the Ca$h loophole. If you are willing to spend for preban guns and preban mags, you can get what you want.

There will be no preban allowances made in CT. If you owned it before the ban, then fine. But you will not be able to get around either the magazine or the AWB by purchasing a preban item. This is HUGE.

2) Thanks, I appreciate it

3) I think I agreed with you on the "everything else". . . except for mags. As I said above.

CT is much more carry friendly. if you can call it that.

OC is still allowed
The BFPE will still order your town to issue you a pistol permit if they dick you around
You can still transport anything other than AWs and MGs any way you want, provided long guns aren't loaded. No cases, no trunk, no locks.
No prohibited handguns. Other than the ones that fall under the AWB.
This is an interesting thing. Prior to this ban, the CT ban was like the MA ban. It prohibited stupid pistols. By that, I mean pistols that nobody actually shoots. Chopped down AR pistols, AK pistols, that kind of thing.

The new ban bans any handgun with a threaded bbl. That means every gun with a compensator is an AW. Every gun with a threaded bbl set up to take a compensator is an AW. Even .22s.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by Baystatesuks
and this one

In a case like this, does state law supersede federal law, i.e. if federal law rules does that mean we just show our LTC to the dealer and fill out the FA10, no fingerprint needed?

Yes. Sorry.

From the US News Report

Right now, only California, Colorado, Illinois, New York, Oregon, and Rhode Island require background checks at gun shows, according to the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. But most states have looser restrictions. While local laws can vary widely, 33 states do not have a law addressing what is commonly referred to as the “gun show loophole.”

Hmm Mass isn't listed, so we don't need to do a background check at gunshows, I need to remind the dealers of that, and since you have to have an LTC and the other party an LTC, and we both had background checks when we got them and we do an FA10, we must be doing it wrong

The only positive I saw in this announcement was the ability to carry concealed in the entire country regardless of local laws

Both Toomey and Manchin are gun owners and have an A rating from the National Rifle Association, the largest pro-gun lobby group. Toomey said he added some provisions to strengthen gun rights in the bill, including allowing a legal gun owner to take his or her concealed weapon over state lines while traveling, even if that state does not allow concealed carry.

Senators announce deal on background check in gun bill

Back
Top Bottom