• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun club etiquette

This isn't a question for me. Unless I'm shooting with someone I know well, the weapon goes with me. I would never leave a weapon unattended. Especially when I'm down range.

No reason to carry a rifle downrange. What are you expecting - a ****in gunfight? You bringing ammo downrange too? A few spare mags?

If someone looks like they're acting untrustworthy during a cease-fire, then address it right then and there in strong terms. The rules are pretty simple - actions open and unloaded, and no handling of weapons during cease fire. If there isn't a range officer then take charge, be a dick, and check chambers yourself.

If they resist, get their name, member number or license plate number and report them to the club leadership. If you feel that you can't trust your fellow shooters, do something about it or pack up and get the hell out of there.

At most ranges, once the range is determined to be 'clear,' handling of firearms is no longer permitted, at the firing line of ahead of it. Common safety rule. I sure as hell wouldn't want to turn around after taping up my target and see someone on the range holding a gun, and I'm sure most people feel the same.

For 25 yard ranges, I have no problem leaving my guns at the line unattended. There are a half dozen cameras between the firing line and the front door, not to mention the individualized code you entered to get in. Go ahead and try to steal something.

At longer 100+ yard ranges, I tend to case my rifle before I go down range, but I wouldn't lock it up.

If I was that worried about someone being stupid enough tp steal my gun, I probably wouldn't shoot there in the first place.

1. Follow the range rules, else find another club

2. If you're by yourself, then know if the rules are "flexible". I've unloaded and slung my rifle and carried it downrange rather than leave it behind. Not a big deal at my range when no one is around. Others might consider it a cardinal sin. Ask around.

3. I tend to put ammo and magazines out of sight and out of mind when not attended. I can't say I fanatically practice this but the less folks that I know at the range the less stuff I leave out. Just seems like common sense.

4. My club has a strict, NO HANDLING OR FIRING while anyone is down range. It's one long firing line--pistol, rifle, trap--and not such a large club. A few old timers were griping about how at XYZ club they will go downrange to reload the trap because it's "not that close" to the rifle and pistol but we all agreed we weren't going to do that. Once I was in the trap bunker and a rifleman fired. It wasn't that close to us but it wasn't such a good feeling. You don't want to be ONE mistake away from getting shot. The riflemen got an earful--and that was it.

If I am the last one left shooting at the MRA, I clean all the casings before I leave. I normally go late at night, so I usually have other people's casings to clean up as well, but it doesn't bother me.

Agreed. MRA is very very specific about what you can and can not do. Generally all people must be either forward changing targets or behind a red line, which is about 5 ft behind the firing line. People do a good job of policing themselves at MRA.

It was funny. Last week my nephew and I were in Loeb alone. It was early in the morning. I figured that since we were alone, we might clean up the area forward of the firing line to help out the guys who normally do it. All the guns were bagged, we were alone and I told my nephew I was going to go forward. "Don't forget to turn on the lights" he reminded me. It was a proud moment. (Its not like he's 5, he's 21, but still. It was nice)

Don

No reason to carry a rifle downrange. What are you expecting - a ****in gunfight? You bringing ammo downrange too? A few spare mags?

If I was expecting a gunfight at a particular place and a particular time, I wouldn't go there. But my crystal ball is on the fritz. I don't know when or where someone might try to do me harm. That is why I carry a gun.

And, yes, people have been shot at gun ranges.

Chris Kyle and a companion, Chad Littlefield, were shot and killed on Saturday, February 2, 2013, at the Rough Creek Lodge shooting range in Erath County, Texas.

Raymond Peake III, 64, was charged Saturday in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, with killing Attorney Todd Getgen at a shooting range in the south central part of the state.

Bad things can happen to good people, even in "safe" places.

In our wonderful state, you have to wonder if a gun owner might be charged for improper "storage" if the unattended gun was stolen or used by an unauthorized person...there goes your LTC...

Yea thats another side of it are we required to have trigger locks on at all times on guns other than what we are shooting?
And I am sure once the press got ahold of a stolen gun story your LTC is toast.

As a new LTC-A, I have not had a chance to shoot anywhere, so excuse me if this suggestion is unworkable.

But I wonder if it's possible to leave the firearm at the table, but locked with one of those cable locks, maybe around a post ?

i sling my firearms and approach my targets--tactically. any commotion behind me and i jack in a fresh mag and pop off a few rounds into the dirt. works every time. no one is ever at the range when i am around anymore.

Seen this first hand .
He crawled down to the 100 yard mark in 6 inches of snow and stapled the shit out of the target before it new what was going on.

Yea thats another side of it are we required to have trigger locks on at all times on guns other than what we are shooting?
And I am sure once the press got ahold of a stolen gun story your LTC is toast.

Uh . .where do you get the idea that they need to have trigger locks? They can be in a locked container. Big difference.

Trigger locks are unsafe and usually a bad idea.

As a new LTC-A, I have not had a chance to shoot anywhere, so excuse me if this suggestion is unworkable.

But I wonder if it's possible to leave the firearm at the table, but locked with one of those cable locks, maybe around a post ?

Anything is possible. I don't see why this wouldn't work. Sounds a bit tedious, but if it works for you, and makes you feel better, why not.

any other states want to chime in on thefts / shootings / suicides at the ranges? sounds like you just have trust issues, which is fine... bring a friend. have him pull guard duty and you change the targets... again, usually when the line goes cold, the majority of the people walk down range together anyway. [laugh]

I had some pussy get loud with me last time I went because while the range was closed for people to hang targets and pick up brass downrange, I was picking up brass. He told me to wait until the line was hot. I asked him if he'd like to go downrange while the range was hot, then went back to what I was doing.

Anything is possible. I don't see why this wouldn't work. Sounds a bit tedious, but if it works for you, and makes you feel better, why not.

Bill,

I think he was kidding, at least I hope he was kidding.

If he wasn't kidding, then its perhaps the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

You are kidding. . .right?

I really don't get this MA obsession with gun locks.

Last edited:
I wouldn't respect a club that didn't allow me to wear a holstered pistol.

If I felt the people next to me shouldn't be trusted to be alone with my rifle I will bring it with me ,slung , action open. Some rules are more like suggestions to me.

I don't agree with myself.

If I felt the people next to me shouldn't be trusted to be alone with my rifle , I will pack my shite up and leave.

But , outside of Fryeburg , where its basically the only public range in southern Maine , I've never really felt that uneasy around fellow shooters.

Carrying an M2 and its tripod down range would not be feasible. But then it is crew served weapon and isn't changing targets the assistant gunner's duty anyways? [wink]

Allegedly. But we do tend to shoot those at the rather more...durable targets. Saves the walk. [wink]

I think it's just a personal security/theft issue. Many feel better not leaving a firearm completely unattended for either safety or theft reasons. Personally, I don't worry and like I said if the range is crowded I may take the bolt with me...

La leyenda del indomable

Last edited by a moderator:
I just KNOW that regardless of the circumstances, anybody whose firearm gets stolen is going to be HAMMERED by Ms Coakley. Willfully, Relentlessly, and Gleefully.

I can't remember the last time I went to the range with only one rifle. So unless I'm going to sling up three or four rifles and mexican carry a couple of pistols to go downrange, I've got to trust my fellow man.

I just KNOW that regardless of the circumstances, anybody whose firearm gets stolen is going to be HAMMERED by Ms Coakley. Willfully, Relentlessly, and Gleefully.

In a perverse inversion, I put trigger locks on my guns when in my car not to provide any "protection", but so that if stolen, I maintain my role as a victim rather than perp.

You are far more likely to get prosecuted by the District Attorney than by the Attorney General

A club I was part of had a campus for delinquent kids as neighbors. They would smash ammo with rocks for fun. I always disabled or took my gun with me downrange. Just good safety [mine) procedure.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Back
Top Bottom