• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Club closure megathread

The entrance is in Harvard.

Thanks, and you're right. It should also be noted that if the member leaving was headed back toward Rt 2, that stretch of road is in either Harvard or Littleton only. The member would have had to have been driving back toward 495/111 to get anywhere close to a Boxborough road.

This just hit my inbox:

ALL HSC SHOOTING RANGES CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
THIS APPLIES TO OUTDOOR RANGES AND THE INDOOR RANGE.

OTHER HSC FACILITIES ARE NOT CLOSED.

We hope that our Members understand that the closure of HSC facilities was not a decision made by the Board. We received a direct order from the Boxborough Police Chief to stop. A Boxborough officer was dispatched to HSC to inform individuals who were at the Club.

We continue to pursue a better resolution to this situation. The Chief tells us that he does not like to see activity stopped at HSC, but their current review of the Governor's order concludes that this is the proper course of action. He knows, and supports, that we will be constantly working to re-open our facilities.

We also hope that HSC Members will benefit from getting some outdoor-time at HSC, which is one of the best locations for our Membership to maintain separation. Get out in the woods. Maybe do some fishing. Find interesting wildlife. And unwind.

This just hit my inbox:

We hope that our Members understand that the closure of HSC facilities was not a decision made by the Board. We received a direct order from the Boxborough Police Chief to stop. A Boxborough officer was dispatched to HSC to inform individuals who were at the Club.

We continue to pursue a better resolution to this situation. The Chief tells us that he does not like to see activity stopped at HSC, but their current review of the Governor's order concludes that this is the proper course of action. He knows, and supports, that we will be constantly working to re-open our facilities.

We also hope that HSC Members will benefit from getting some outdoor-time at HSC, which is one of the best locations for our Membership to maintain separation. Get out in the woods. Maybe do some fishing. Find interesting wildlife. And unwind.
So if he’s so supportive of the club will he be calling or writing Bakers office to voice his opposition to the closure of ranges and shops on behalf of his department?

When Baker started all of the closures, etc. gun ranges were on the list. The Boxborough chief is just enforcing Bakers edict.

Now, I don't agree with any of this. The gun shops being closed, the gun ranges being closed, beaches being closed, etcetera. You can't legislate away stupidity. Stay away from people and your chances of catching COVID-19 are lowered.

IIRC, I read that either Healey or MSP sent an ORDER to all police chiefs to shut down every dealer and range. I could be wrong but recall reading something either here or on FacePlant's MA Guns pages.

Sorry to see it happening wrt outdoor ranges. And you can bet that this isn't going to end anytime soon.

Jeez... I've been missing MA gun clubs since I moved up here (nearest club is 45 minutes away, and there are no action pistol pits there). Now I'm glad I can shoot on my property. Can't shut THAT down.
Ross, if you lived in MA you can bet that you'd be ordered to shut down shooting on your own property too! That's the way MA rolls! :mad:

Lol.... so how is shooting any different from any other lawful outdoor activity on club grounds?
IIRC, I read that either Healey or MSP sent an ORDER to all police chiefs to shut down every dealer and range. I could be wrong but recall reading something either here or on FacePlant's MA Guns pages.

Would be interesting if someone could get a copy of this memo... probably useful for a lawsuit or other legal
action...

-Mike

Lol.... so how is shooting any different from any other lawful outdoor activity on club grounds?

Would be interesting if someone could get a copy of this memo... probably useful for a lawsuit or other legal
action...

-Mike
Exactly my thoughts. Only reason I am happy they relented and allowed “other activities.” It shows that it shooting being targeted, not use of grounds. Complete overreach!

From Governor Baker's "order". Outdoor ranges are not "brick and mortar premises" and thus should not be subject to the rules.

An outdoor range seems to be exempt from the 10 or more ruling as an outdoor area.

What am I missing? As long as social distancing rules are followed why are gun ranges subject to the rules?

FYI in another thread I described how I was at the range and the police were called. I repeatedly asked what we were doing wrong? The club is a private organization and not a business. We are outdoors and maintaining social distancing... all 3 of us. The club was not closed. So WTF were we doing wrong?

The police officer was mostly OK and understood and even said he couldn't tell us to stop. But he became somewhat passive/aggressive saying he probably had no right to bring us in. HUH??? For what?????

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 5.58.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 5.59.23 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. I can always count on you for a concise, no-bullshit answer.
~Matt

How can "Other HSC Facilities" be any safer than the ranges...?

Or, has there been an increase in shooting injuries as compared to falls and other walking injuries...?
If more people are being shot at ranges then walking... I may take up walking.

Last edited:
"smack of" (something) phrase:
To be strikingly reminiscent or suggestive of something; to give a strong indication or implication of something. Their whole PR statement about the firing smacks of corporate greed and incompetence. The judge's sudden reversal of his decision smacks of bribery or corruption, if you ask me.
See also: of, smack
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.

How can "Other HSC Facilities" be any safer than the ranges...?
Makes absolutely ZERO sense. It's obvious there's an agenda here since it involves gunz. There's probably some behind the scenes crap with Faker and Healey and reaching out to police chiefs?? Dunno

This just hit my inbox:

Totally unnecessary. There was a big thread on Harvard Nextdoor today about. My guess is some wing nut calls the cops. Here's a link to the thread if you want to see some of the first class idiots that live here. Shooting at Harvard Gun Club today? — Nextdoor

Makes absolutely ZERO sense. It's obvious there's an agenda here since it involves gunz. There's probably some behind the scenes crap with Faker and Healey and reaching out to police chiefs?? Dunno
This should be mentioned in any Litigation against Local Police Departments and Elected Officials...

Back
Top Bottom