Gun Club closure megathread

One other thing.

Don't hassle Dan Hurley about this. Dan does a great job. He spends a LOT of time, doesn't get paid, and frankly, we're f***ED if he quits.

He is a good president trying tobalance a ton of stuff all while dealing with a crisis that is impacting him and his family.
Unfortunately I cannot get in line with you on this. When the club gets an unlawful directive from the Boxborough Chief the response needs to be

"respectfully, no where in MGL do you have the authority to make that decision or enforce that position. If you are able to get a court order to that effect, I will be the first to honor it. Until that time, HSC, a private club, will remain open exclusively to membership for any and all activities that are outdoors and maintain social distancing. As you are likely aware we have already canceled all events and closed the club house and indoor shooting range. The governor's order is very clear that no outside activities are impacted by the closure directive."

Or words to that effect. The immediate capitulation to the overreach by Chief Ryder I cannot support.

Unfortunately I cannot get in line with you on this. When the club gets an unlawful directive from the Boxborough Chief the response needs to be

"respectfully, no where in MGL do you have the authority to make that decision or enforce that position. If you are able to get a court order to that effect, I will be the first to honor it. Until that time, HSC, a private club, will remain open exclusively to membership for any and all activities that are outdoors and maintain social distancing. As you are likely aware we have already canceled all events and closed the club house and indoor shooting range. The governor's order is very clear that no outside activities are impacted by the closure directive."

Or words to that effect. The immediate capitulation to the overreach by Chief Ryder I cannot support.
I’d love to agree but can’t. Maura and her f***ing thugs could be a financial disaster to HSC. Our courts are currently closed. Well... except hers anyway.
I’m guessing Dan doesn’t sleep well tonight. I know I lost many nights sleep in a case I fought and at least won in the end. It took years!!

I’d love to agree but can’t. Maura and her f***ing thugs could be a financial disaster to HSC. Our courts are currently closed. Well... except hers anyway.
I’m guessing Dan doesn’t sleep well tonight. I know I lost many nights sleep in a case I fought and at least won in the end. It took years!!
I am honestly curious what legal action you are worried they would take. If we get something FROM THE STATE, or a court order, certainly fold our tent and go home. Something from the PD of one of the three towns that HSC resides in I don't see the path to financial ruin.

If it is really the town manager or a selectman or similar in boxborough, bluster may be all they have in them. It was enough to blow our house down. It deserved at least one round of push back. Bullies will bully until you push back. If they escalate, then we have more information with which to make a decision.

How about HSC consults a lawyer and gets an option? Call Goal and comm2a? Do more than say "they told us to shut down so we did". Sometimes getting along is a good strategy. I dont see how this decision is.

I appreciate people that volunteer their time. I was in volunteer and elected, non paying positions within Harvard for over 10 years. It is a thankless time sync. But that does not mean any/all decisions are above discussion/reproach/criticism.

Tomorrow I hope to find out the fall out over a Boxborough cop pulling someone over on a Harvard street solely for existing HSC. That is indicative of something seriously wrong BPD food chain.

Crackpot.

We don't know they aren't working on something behind the scenes. Give them a couple of days.

I agree with you. Push back. I'm not saying you go to the mat. But push back a bit. I have to think they are planning for this.
We are not a PUBLIC range. There are no employees.

I'm fine with shutting down indoor spaces. That is the RIGHT thing to do. But to shut down a facility that is large enough so that every shooter can have his own pit is just stupidity.

I suspect as enraged and stressed as any of us are, Dan is even more stressed. How hard to you push? Do you risk the long term viability of the club to push hard to get it back open?

I wouldn't want his job.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to do everything he does for FREE.

When I joined HSC 8 or so years ago. I couldn't make the safety briefing the next weekend. So he met me at the club the following weekend and took me around and did the briefing for just me. So I didn't have to wait a month before I could begin using the facilities.

I'll happily give him the benefit of the doubt.

I am honestly curious what legal action you are worried they would take. If we get something FROM THE STATE, or a court order, certainly fold our tent and go home. Something from the PD of one of the three towns that HSC resides in I don't see the path to financial ruin.

If it is really the town manager or a selectman or similar in boxborough, bluster may be all they have in them. It was enough to blow our house down. It deserved at least one round of push back. Bullies will bully until you push back. If they escalate, then we have more information with which to make a decision.

How about HSC consults a lawyer and gets an option? Call Goal and comm2a? Do more than say "they told us to shut down so we did". Sometimes getting along is a good strategy. I dont see how this decision is.

I appreciate people that volunteer their time. I was in volunteer and elected, non paying positions within Harvard for over 10 years. It is a thankless time sync. But that does not mean any/all decisions are above discussion/reproach/criticism.

Tomorrow I hope to find out the fall out over a Boxborough cop pulling someone over on a Harvard street solely for existing HSC. That is indicative of something seriously wrong BPD food chain.
Anybody could file a cease and desist order. Legal or not it would be expensive. If it came down ‘from above’ meaning not the town it might be a long time.
If it was attached to town council or issued thru a board like say the Health Department it could go on forever.
I learned never trust town government, the volunteer or paid people behind it. They can make their own rules as it plays along. They also have weeks between meetings not forgetting regular business that needs to be done.

Crackpot.

We don't know they aren't working on something behind the scenes.
I accept that premise. It is possible that the board members I am talking to are not being kept apprised of what is happening. That would be a different issue.

Ask for the direction from the chief in writing. Ask him to include the cite for his authority to give the order. Let him know you will consult your lawyer and then make a decision about closing. Don't close immediately. Yes, you can say this constitutes arm chair quarterbacking. Yes I just posted a thread about being civil on NES. I am trying really hard to be completely civil in this thread. I just cannot get myself aligned with the decision.

Asking for it in writing might have been the end of it (or maybe they have it in writing). Yes, it is hard to know everything that has or is happening. Yes I am angry about the closing. Yes I will be joining a second club to insure access to a range during these times. There are other clubs that are not closing

Anybody could file a cease and desist order. Legal or not it would be expensive. If it came down ‘from above’ meaning not the town it might be a long time.
If it was attached to town council or issued thru a board like say the Health Department it could go on forever.
I learned never trust town government, the volunteer or paid people behind it. They can make their own rules as it plays along. They also have weeks between meetings not forgetting regular business that needs to be done.
As I said, if they escalate, then making the decision to fold your tent to avoid expensive consequences makes sense while you fight the order. A cease and desist is a lot different than a "order" from the chief.

And yes, I will stop posting in this thread for a while

His main rationale was 2 fold
1) This is the state's order.

2) If people are shooting there is more chance of an accident which will involve officers and EMS people in close proximity to others. So in the interest of reducing risk to PD and EMS there shouldn't be shooting.
1586313816605.jpeg
JFC I can’t even take it. Well we better “shutdown” driving cars/trucks too because there might be a car accident which will involve EMS and PD. WOW!

I accept that premise. It is possible that the board members I am talking to are not being kept apprised of what is happening. That would be a different issue.

Ask for the direction from the chief in writing. Ask him to include the cite for his authority to give the order. Let him know you will consult your lawyer and then make a decision about closing. Don't close immediately. Yes, you can say this constitutes arm chair quarterbacking. Yes I just posted a thread about being civil on NES. I am trying really hard to be completely civil in this thread. I just cannot get myself aligned with the decision.

Asking for it in writing might have been the end of it (or maybe they have it in writing). Yes, it is hard to know everything that has or is happening. Yes I am angry about the closing. Yes I will be joining a second club to insure access to a range during these times. There are other clubs that are not closing

As I said, if they escalate, then making the decision to fold your tent to avoid expensive consequences makes sense while you fight the order. A cease and desist is a lot different than a "order" from the chief.

And yes, I will stop posting in this thread for a while
I fully respect your position but frankly I’m unaware of open clubs to join st this time.
I could piss off every person in town and shoot out the back door but don’t need the attention.
In fact I’m more pissed off about not heading north. MSP has also closed all resident and non resident concealed pistol permits.
I’ll be out of this state before my next renewal.

MSP has also closed all resident and non resident concealed pistol permits.
What means this 'closed'...?
Are you saying they have done something to 'close' concealed carry permits for residents and non-residents?

Last edited:
Anyone consider that part of the calculus in shutting down shooting ranges during Kung Flu quarantine includes the fact that most of the libtards living near the ranges will be home ALL DAY and with the unwashed masses of the population forced to WFH, furloughed, or laid-off, the ranges should be busier than ever? Why else would you ban shooting but not hiking on club property?

What a great opportunity to silence the clubs while everyone is home!

The best response we have available when things normalize is to buy more guns and ammo and to get out and shoot more. Whatever club you belong to, make sure that there is not a single hour of operation where there isn't at least one person actively shooting on an outdoor range.

Sorry. I didn't finish the post.

The Boxboro chief agreed there was no reason to shut the club down for non-shooting activities.

His main rationale was 2 fold
1) This is the state's order.

2) If people are shooting there is more chance of an accident which will involve officers and EMS people in close proximity to others. So in the interest of reducing risk to PD and EMS there shouldn't be shooting.

He is a gun guy. But he's also a cop. I sincerely do not believe that he has an anti-gun bias. But it doesn't change the fact that he is choosing to enforce a bad non-law handed down to him by anti-gun politicians.

Either way the club is open, but shooting is not allowed.

Though I have a hard time understanding how that would be enforced.

“Just doing my job” with no morals

Harvard Sportsman's Club email from yesterday :

ALL HSC SHOOTING RANGES CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
THIS APPLIES TO OUTDOOR RANGES AND THE INDOOR RANGE.

OTHER HSC FACILITIES ARE NOT CLOSED.

We hope that our Members understand that the closure of HSC facilities was not a decision made by the Board. We received a direct order from the Boxborough Police Chief to stop. A Boxborough officer was dispatched to HSC to inform individuals who were at the Club.

We continue to pursue a better resolution to this situation. The Chief tells us that he does not like to see activity stopped at HSC, but their current review of the Governor's order concludes that this is the proper course of action. He knows, and supports, that we will be constantly working to re-open our facilities.

We also hope that HSC Members will benefit from getting some outdoor-time at HSC, which is one of the best locations for our Membership to maintain separation. Get out in the woods. Maybe do some fishing. Find interesting wildlife. And unwind.

Harvard Sportsman's Club email from yesterday :

We also hope that HSC Members will benefit from getting some outdoor-time at HSC, which is one of the best locations for our Membership to maintain separation. Get out in the woods. Maybe do some fishing. Find interesting wildlife. And unwind.

Ugh, I feel dirty just reading that. Will it be mandatory to wear a plaid shirt and drive a Subaru with "I'm with HER" and "COEXIST" bumper stickers?

LOL I know some guys from Harvard- I'm going to send them a text to give them some crap over this.

It says Maine State Police are not processing resident and non resident concealed carry permits.
No more safety classes allowed in MA at this time, not even virtual ones. Without that you can't get an LTC.

Looks like "MSP" works in both counts.
I had heard that Mass had stopped training and that Maine was not issuing permits either.
My malfunction was I read this line as they had 'closed' concealed carry, not the issuing of permits.

MSP has also closed all resident and non resident concealed pistol permits.

Thanks for clarifying,
~Matt

Looks like "MSP" works in both counts.
I had heard that Mass had stopped training and that Maine was not issuing permits either.
My malfunction was I read this line as they had 'closed' concealed carry, not the issuing of permits.

Thanks for clarifying,
~Matt
In all honestly there was some Bloody Mary in my not so clear post not forgetting it being way off topic. 😂

Ugh, I feel dirty just reading that. Will it be mandatory to wear a plaid shirt and drive a Subaru with "I'm with HER" and "COEXIST" bumper stickers?

LOL I know some guys from Harvard- I'm going to send them a text to give them some crap over this.

I want my membership dues refunded. Oh, we're still technically open so no refund is necessary.

Great, a gun club where you can't use guns, makes sense to me </sarcasm>

I want my membership dues refunded. Oh, we're still technically open so no refund is necessary.

Great, a gun club where you can't use guns, makes sense to me </sarcasm>

Dude, Relax. Its a great club. I have a sneaking suspicion that the plan is to give in, because if they don't all the PD needs to do is sit someone at the gate.

Then pursue legal avenues starting now.

Remember, the BOD and other officers don't do this for a part time job. This 5hit hit them yesterday while they were trying to do normal work to make money for themselves and their families. They are VOLUNTEERS. And a lot of them spend dozens of hours per week GIVING to HSC to make it a better club.

I would certainly have preferred it if they defiantly told the town that.
1) HSC facilitates social distancing so they are remaining open.
2) there is no difference between shooting and walking.
3) HSC is not a shooting range.
4) HSC has no employees

But I'm willing to cut them some slack because again. THEY ARE VOLUNTEERS.

If you think you could do better, I' suggest you challenge Dan Hurley for President next year.

I'm guessing he would appreciate it. Just be prepared for 10-20 hours per week of unpaid work.

Besides, if you really want to be a dick, just go to the club with your family and take a walk. As you pass each empty pit where centerfire handgun is allowed, step in and dump a mag. Reload, dump a mag again at the next pit.

Besides, if you really want to be a dick, just go to the club with your family and take a walk. As you pass each empty pit where centerfire handgun is allowed, step in and dump a mag. Reload, dump a mag again at the next pit.
I've very tempted to do that but I don't want the town f*cking the club over because of it.

Back
Top Bottom