• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Cleaners/Oil - what are you using?

A rag and what ever dipstick is convient in the vehicle I’m driving....at home usually CLP mostly because of the convience of it aerosols....

Things like frog lube are fine if you shoot every day and clean every day.... don’t leave that shit in your firearm and I can’t recommend it for more then range use

Last edited:
has anyone used dura-lube or motorkote on their guns? Adds for motorkote would suggest it would make actions run much smoother.

I use Hoppes Elite T3 oil. It is the only oil I have tried that works 100% reliably in all my firearms in extreme low temperatures. It is not uncommon for -20F temps where I live and I shoot all year round in day and nighttime conditions. A handful of other popular lubes I have tried just do not perform well when you're outside in below 0F and your gun comes down to that temperature. Lots of stuck bolts, frozen magazines (inserted in gun), etc.

I find it also does a good job of preventing snow from icing to my guns while moving around in the winter. I have not had any corrosion issues shooting outside in the rain multiple days in a row.

If you don't shoot in varying weather and environmental conditions, almost any lubricant will work without issue.

I do. I have enough Lubriplate sfl-0 to last a decade. If it slides it gets grease, if it rotates it gets oil.
Enough for this guy?
discovery_vab.jpg

A little about Break-Free CLP for you younger guys and new shooters...

BREAK-Free-CLP
BREAK-FREE (CLP) TECHNICAL REPORT

BREAK-FREE CLP
MIRACLES? MAGIC? MYSTERY?

BREAK-FREE CLP is not a miracle product. It contains no
magic ingredients. It was not conjured up in a secret cave by
long-forgotten tribesmen then discovered suddenly by smart
marketers and offered on late night TV.

But how BREAK-FREE CLP performs on firearms is nothing short
of miraculous, sometimes described as magical and is truly
mysterious to those who try to copy the formula.

In truth, BREAK-FREE CLP is a scientifically formulated
synthetic liquid specifically designed to do three important
tasks simultaneously.

1. Clean metal
2. Lubricate metal
3. Protect metal

BREAK-FREE CLP is made from a unique combination of
synthetic oils and other ingredients blended through a
proprietary series of processes developed by BREAK-FREE's
Technical Director Don Yoder. Both the ingredients and the
processes used to combine them are closely held secrets, and no
other product has been developed that duplicates either the
formula or the way it works...

MILITARY REQUIREMENTS

To increase reliability and performance to reduce misfires
and malfunctions in various military weapons, the U.S. Army
issued in 1971 a "purchase description"--PD-48-- listing the
performance properties of a single, multi-purpose product to
clean, lubricate and protect weaponry. These included, in broad
terms, the following requirements:

1. It must easily remove firing residue, carbon
deposits and other contaminants during the
cleaning process, and prevent the rapid buildup of
subsequent deposits during firing which cause
malfunctions and weapon failure.

2. It must lubricate moving parts, including those
which bear a heavy load, and it must continue to
lubricate over long periods of time and use. At
the same time it must not be sticky or greasy so
as to attract dust, sand or dirt which would cause
malfunctions. As a weapons lubricant it must
function under all conditions - extreme heat or
cold, in mud, water, dust, etc.

3. As a corrosion preventative it must protect the
weapon and preserve it in a "grab-and-go"
condition in all climatic conditions - high
humidity, rain, snow, etc., and it must protect
the weapon against corrosion in field use, even in
extreme conditions such as salt water...

Way more data/info at the link above this post...^

And more here: arfcom post on CLP
3rd one down by Blankwaffe98 is well-written

Note: I do miss the Original Break-Free CLP that my Uncle Sam issued. Safariland is very similar, but you don't see the thick, goopy teflon that was always a little thicker than the rest of the lube (and looked like fresh seagull poo) in the Safariland stuff.
That said, I understand that Safariland still incorporates teflon and is able to keep it from separating...
~Matt

Last edited:
Anyone looking for cleaning products can get FREE SHIPPING (Today Only, 2/24/19) from Brownells using CODE: K9Y (NO MINIMUM ORDER)

So, Ballistol, Break-Free CLP, Hoppes #9, Rem-Oil...etc.

Last edited:
I love me some Ballistol. I use it for pretty much everything firearms related. It's my go-to for general cleaning, lubrication, etc. Hell, it's even good for dry skin and cuts.

Lately I've been playing with XF7 Gun Grease for the rails in my handguns and to grease up my Garand. It's been working really well so far, fwiw...(even though it's a bit pricey)

For nasty milsurp bores I've been known to use Sweet's 7.62 and JB Bore Paste (blue label) to help get the crap out.

PTFE is a solid if it is present in oil it technically is no longer an oil but a grease since it is a solid and can not be a liquid ( only happens at high tep ) now on to the dangers of a PTFE oil the little particles love to find their way into close fitting parts and compromise the function of them , it is nearly impossible to clean the particles out with solvents or other ways ultrasonic is about the best but one that fluid is in contact with the contented part that fluid is contaminated and can no transfer the solids to something else

I e got it down to Hoppes #9 for cleaning and Mobil 1 for lube. On my non polymer handguns I use Cajun Gun Works Grease on the slides.

To apply my oil I use these Montana Fillable Acrylic Markers. I fill with my oil and lube away. Keeps me from over lubing and I can precisely apply the oil just by writing the oil on to where I want it. No mess...Works great.

7E6E7E54-595A-4837-9A9C-88F226D4A54D.png

Back
Top Bottom