• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Cleaners/Oil - what are you using?

Laura

NES Member
I normally use Hoppes with Remington gun oil. Always was interested in getting a better cleaner that's less toxic and doesn't annoy the family with the smell. What does everyone here like to use?

M-pro 7 gun cleaner, GunScrubber, Hornady one shot gun cleaner + dry lube (this is awesome stuff, especially for lube and anti-rust/corrosion), slip 2000 EWL, FP-10. Occasionally use Remoil.

I use CLP for everything, but I heard ballistol is just as good.
Lately I’ve been using white lithium grease on the rails.

Hoppe's to clean and most of the time the Hoppe's synthetic oil to lube. I have plenty of it on hand along with precision application methods. Which means I get to apply it to where I want it easily. I also have some Ballistol for use when I want to. IME, it's also good, but I have enough of the Hoppe's on hand that I use that most of the time.

I have tried a bunch in the past. Hoppes as a cleaner and Mobile1 as a lube and protectant. Sometimes non-chlorinated brake cleaner for the AR carbon buildup and Ballistol for leather. This just seems to work for me... at this time.

cleaner.JPG

I use rubbing alcohol from the dollar store,and I lube with Militech,or frog lube.Ok I know some people,are going to say frog lube sucks,but I have a bottle of the stuff that I need to use up.

Breakfree for general cleaning and lubing. Bore tech carbon remover for the real hard stuff and Sweet's for the rifles. Sweets certainly doesn't pass the non-annoying smell test however.

The smell of gun cleaning products gives the house a very comforting feeling!

Last edited:
They changed the smell some years back from the original... I miss the original Hoppe's smell.

I think I know what you're talking about. It used to smell more like carcinogenic bananas. Now its just carcinogens. [laugh] Stuff works good though, I just
use gloves with it now... [laugh]

I normally use Hoppes with Remington gun oil. Always was interested in getting a better cleaner that's less toxic and doesn't annoy the family with the smell. What does everyone here like to use?

Basically anything that doesn't stink isn't going to work quickly or effectively.. lets ponder this for a moment

top 4 cleaners on the market in terms of sales probably are:

-hoppes - stinks
-BF CLP - stinks in a different way
-Ballistol - smells like ass/stinks, although I find this smell burns off quicker than the other two and its is distinctly way different
-Gun Scrubber - REALLY stinks, do not use in house

I'd give a 4th place to rem oil, stinks less, is kinda useful in some cases. I use rem oil instead of WD40 on locks and things like that more than I use it on
guns, though.

MPro7 cleaner is about the only non stinky thing I found that works well but its expensive and you're going to have to let the parts marinate in it for a few minutes after brushing them for it to do its job. After FS kept pushing the price up (or the vendor?) I just said f*** it went back to Hoppes.

Also "Hoppes Elite Pro" if they still sell it is basically a rebrand of mpro 7....

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom