• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
The map is interesting, by land area things would appear to be OK in this state, except for the fact the most restrictive areas also have the highest population density ( click ). What's the deal, you have to be a hick to carry in this state?

Just got my LTC-A ALP renewed in Arlington (which was the original issuing town). It took 8 weeks. (Interesting note -- previous license was "Restrictions: ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES". New license is "Restrictions: NONE", which makes more sense.)

Process was pretty easy. Filled out the application and submitted it with the required-by-Arlington extra-statutorial signature saying you read the AG's summary of MA's deadly force law (that's the only extra-statutorial thing Arlington requires). A week later I went in to the police station for my "interview". Said interview was simply sitting down with a records clerk, watching her fill out my application within MICRS, hit the "submit for LEO review" button on the webform, handing her the $100 check, and getting my picture taken. 8 weeks after that I got the call and went to pick it up.

The map is interesting, by land area things would appear to be OK in this state, except for the fact the most restrictive areas also have the highest population density ( click ). What's the deal, you have to be a hick to carry in this state?

Not sure if thats the case because Framingham which is the highest pop for a town is very green.

So which map do we want to keep updated? Which member's?

I like solloron1's - do you have the ability to permalink it? If not I can try to keep the image updated on a link that I can provide for the OP. Just would need it emailed or PM'd to me (hosted on imageshack or wherever) so I can save it and upload it to my server. You just have to be willing to keep it updated... not sure what program you used but mine looks like shit compared to yours. I just used paint.

I just finished an image of all the Massachusetts towns/cities and their corresponding color. It looks like basso was going for the same thing and has some more detail on the success rate of which license you will get. I'm a visual person so I made this, if you see any errors let me know and I will fix it. Not displaying correctly and I can't get it as an attachment (too big). Any Ideas? I'll be linking to it for now.

MA Towns & Cities License Colors

Last edited:
So which map do we want to keep updated? Which member's?

I like solloron1's - do you have the ability to permalink it? If not I can try to keep the image updated on a link that I can provide for the OP. Just would need it emailed or PM'd to me (hosted on imageshack or wherever) so I can save it and upload it to my server. You just have to be willing to keep it updated... not sure what program you used but mine looks like shit compared to yours. I just used paint.

That's the best one, but the hosting service has a particularly virulent pop ad system.

i have my LTC no restrictions and i am moving to Medford which is listed as Red can they possibly restrict my LTC or can they only do that when i go to renew

i have my LTC no restrictions and i am moving to Medford which is listed as Red can they possibly restrict my LTC or can they only do that when i go to renew

The issuing authority retains control until expiration. Don't forget to send your change of address within 30 days.

Medford with issue you ALP when you go for renewal. My buddy was in the same situation moving from a green town to medford that you r in and he had no problems>

Scituate is currently listed as green. One of my dad's friend's who has lived in the town forever and had an ALP/no restriction for many years was just given "hunting and target" for his renewable. He was told "from now on we are only giving carry permits to small business owners. What's the problem, you want to carry a gun like us?"

The guy is move to NC in the very near future so it's not the end of the world for him, but this news is certainly very concerning.

Watch for changes in Belchertown. The news outlets in the Springfield area have been reporting that the Belchertown Board of Selectmen have voted to not enter into negotiations with Chief Fox to offer him a new contract. He will be out at the end of his current contract. No reason has been given so far, but the vote was 3-2 against opening negotiations.

Masslive.com story from February 7th.

Masslive.com story from February 8th.

I believe that Chief Fox has been GREEN for many years now.

Watch for changes in Belchertown. The news outlets in the Springfield area have been reporting that the Belchertown Board of Selectmen have voted to not enter into negotiations with Chief Fox to offer him a new contract. He will be out at the end of his current contract. No reason has been given so far, but the vote was 3-2 against opening negotiations.

Masslive.com story from February 7th.

Masslive.com story from February 8th.

I believe that Chief Fox has been GREEN for many years now.

It was on the local news channels also.

New Bedford, MA

I am in the process of renewing my Class A LTC with ALP in New Bedford. I will update with the results of my renewal. I hope they renew it as APL. [thinking]

Scituate is currently listed as green. One of my dad's friend's who has lived in the town forever and had an ALP/no restriction for many years was just given "hunting and target" for his renewable. He was told "from now on we are only giving carry permits to small business owners. What's the problem, you want to carry a gun like us?"

The guy is move to NC in the very near future so it's not the end of the world for him, but this news is certainly very concerning.

Too bad the guy is moving out of state. He has VERY good case. I can see the town changing policies moving forward, but to apply this to current license holders is looking for trouble.

No restrictions except those imposed by MA law (e.g. "large capacity" definition, restricted locations like Federal Buildings, courthouses etc.) Otherwise it's an unrestricted concealed carry permit and not a "club" license.

Hi Guys,

I am taking my Basic Safety course on Thursday. I will be applying for my license Friday. Does anyone know if Mendon is still regarded as green? Are there are any "extra requirements" on the application process that I should be aware of?

Many thanks!

Watertown is red. LTC Class A with target and sport restriction granted in a hair under 6 weeks (would've been less but the interview needed to be rescheduled). Detective and Sergeant are both very friendly and upfront about the process. They are great about following up with you/returning your calls. Neither is anti-gun and they ask if you are aware of the town's reputation, which goes back quite a few years.

Docs provided: safety cert within last 6-9 months, 2 letters of ref, letter to chief, passport, utility bill

Watertown is red. LTC Class A with target and sport restriction granted in a hair under 6 weeks (would've been less but the interview needed to be rescheduled). Detective and Sergeant are both very friendly and upfront about the process. They are great about following up with you/returning your calls. Neither is anti-gun and they ask if you are aware of the town's reputation, which goes back quite a few years.

Docs provided: safety cert within last 6-9 months, 2 letters of ref, letter to chief, passport, utility bill

They are anti-gun enough if they wont issue restrictions: none [wink] At least they are upfront about it all, that is more than some other towns are!

METHUEN--> GREEN x 2 for me and my wife.

We both applied for first time LTC-A on Dec 27 2010 and received our Lic Feb 3 2011. Both unrestricted!!

Pleasant experience, no hassles, no silly letters, no questions very professional officers.

GREEN for Methuen!

Going shopping for guns soon....

METHUEN--> GREEN x 2 for me and my wife.

We both applied for first time LTC-A on Dec 27 2010 and received our Lic Feb 3 2011. Both unrestricted!!

Pleasant experience, no hassles, no silly letters, no questions very professional officers.

GREEN for Methuen!

Going shopping for guns soon....

Awesome, maybe things are getting better there.

I think things are back to normal in Methuen... I visited the station a few times and I saw Piles of NRA folders with applications, I think word spreading....

Hey looking for a good deal on a used firearm. Let me know if any of you have any for sale....

Thank you,

GOAL member 2011
NRA member 2011
No firearms yet :(

Last edited:
I think things are back to normal in Methuen... I visited the station a few times and I saw Piles of NRA folders with applications, I think word spreading....

Be nice if it spread to Andover, N. Andover, Dracut, and even Lawrence too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom