Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that natick is listed as a red town. My primary residence is in milford at the moment but I am considering moving my primary residence to natick and do not want to get slapped with a restricted license as a result. My understanding is it cannot be changed until renewal time. Is this accurate?

I see that natick is listed as a red town. My primary residence is in milford at the moment but I am considering moving my primary residence to natick and do not want to get slapped with a restricted license as a result. My understanding is it cannot be changed until renewal time. Is this accurate?

Correct. The issuing authority retains control until expiration.

True, but I think there's a strong case to be made that it can't be changed at all upon renewal.[devil]

Most of the folks that I see coming from Natick are now getting unrestricted LTC-A these days.

They are anti-gun enough if they wont issue restrictions: none [wink] At least they are upfront about it all, that is more than some other towns are!

Yeah, the detective told me that it goes back beyond the current chief to not issue full carry licenses. She wanted me to not apply for ALP, but I told her I'd rather go forward with that until I am told I have to accept the restrictions. I hope they don't decide to add range qualifications to the requirements. With the new range at the station, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

Yeah, the detective told me that it goes back beyond the current chief to not issue full carry licenses. She wanted me to not apply for ALP, but I told her I'd rather go forward with that until I am told I have to accept the restrictions. I hope they don't decide to add range qualifications to the requirements. With the new range at the station, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

That's not too bad if the range is at the station. You interview, go out back and fire off a few rounds and be done with it. I'd rather do that the get letters of reference or schlep out to Moon Island in February.

Malden - 3 weeks from time application was turned in - No Restrictions - First time applicant
Beverly does a great job and doesnt talk politics. As much as I hate the whole process, I couldnt have asked for an easier experience.

That's not too bad if the range is at the station. You interview, go out back and fire off a few rounds and be done with it. I'd rather do that the get letters of reference or schlep out to Moon Island in February.

Worse, Moon Island is already booked through February. I went to apply for my LTC earlier this week and got scheduled for the end of the first week in March.

Worse, Moon Island is already booked through February. I went to apply for my LTC earlier this week and got scheduled for the end of the first week in March.

I heard the same from some of my students.

I suspect that the snow storms every 3 days for a month may have had something to do with it. [wink]

They are usually quite efficient. In fact normally I was told that you had to make your appt for Moon Island test within 2 weeks of dropping off the paperwork . . . but Mother Nature can kind of screw that up.

Hopefully the weather will be better in March!

I heard the same from some of my students.

I suspect that the snow storms every 3 days for a month may have had something to do with it. [wink]

They are usually quite efficient. In fact normally I was told that you had to make your appt for Moon Island test within 2 weeks of dropping off the paperwork . . . but Mother Nature can kind of screw that up.

Hopefully the weather will be better in March!

Yea, that's life. Ended up being a bit better for me anyways, I'm a new shooter and haven't spent much time with the .357. Now I can easily justify a couple trips to Manchester. [grin]

Last edited:

Too bad the range qualification would be on top of everything else they already do.

Arlington is still green (as reported here recently by lagrangian above in comment #2315). My wife and I picked up our Class A LTCs this morning. Restrictions: None. 7 weeks total from application to pick-up. It took 3 weeks from the time we dropped off the applications until we had our interviews. Then 4 weeks to the day from interview until they called to say they were ready for pick-up. They told us at our interviews that it was currently taking 2-3 months, so we were very excited when we got the call after "only" 4 weeks. We also both got the full 6 years since we both had our birthdays around the same time as we applied. Our interview experience was identical to that reported in comment #2315. MA Gun laws did not even factor into our decision when we were moving here, but I'm glad we lucked out and happened to choose a green town. Next step: buy something fun to shoot before the Mansfield Shoot next month.

There was a thread a while back about Shaquille O'Neil applying for his Mass. LTC. What town was that? Do they normally give out LTC/A ALP? Anyone know if he has gotten it yet?

Question, I am in a green town, was told that if they didn't say that I would not get my LTC-A at the interview that I will get it, is that true? Hope so!

Question, I am in a green town, was told that if they didn't say that I would not get my LTC-A at the interview that I will get it, is that true? Hope so!

Possibly... Can't say for sure but most green towns you get what you ask for.

Applying in New Bedford soon, anyone else in new beige with tips for a first timer?
there was an article in the sub-standard times a while back where the PD basically said that they'll issue
the minimum required, and that if you NEED ALP, you'll get it.... unfortunately i don't think "i live in the south end of new bedford and people shoot at each other a block away" is considered a reason for issuing ALP...
anyone who's been through the process have any tips? what's the dif. between class B and class A restricted to hunting and target?
is it just a large/low capacity difference?

This info is a bit old, but I applied a year ago (first licence) for my LTC-A in medford with "all lawful purposes" for a reason, I wasn't even told that I would have restrictions. Just given a licence with restrictions on it.

This info is a bit old, but I applied a year ago (first licence) for my LTC-A in medford with "all lawful purposes" for a reason, I wasn't even told that I would have restrictions. Just given a licence with restrictions on it.

That's why, if you haven't already, join Comm2A. With our support they'll pull these walls down. http://www.comm2a.org/

That's why, if you haven't already, join Comm2A. With our support they'll pull these walls down. http://www.comm2a.org/

berlin-wall-fall_1214690c.jpg

Applying in New Bedford soon, anyone else in new beige with tips for a first timer?
there was an article in the sub-standard times a while back where the PD basically said that they'll issue
the minimum required, and that if you NEED ALP, you'll get it.... unfortunately i don't think "i live in the south end of new bedford and people shoot at each other a block away" is considered a reason for issuing ALP...
anyone who's been through the process have any tips? what's the dif. between class B and class A restricted to hunting and target?
is it just a large/low capacity difference?

You need to apply for LTC-A: no restrictions. Write a letter to the chief explaining why you are appliying for a LTC-A no restrictions(That's one requirement on the packet for applying for a LTC-A other than for target and hunting). I, my wife and some friends did it, and all of us got issued a LTC-A no restrictions. I can email you the word template that we used to write the letter.Good luck!

Hi,

My wife and I just applied for an LTC-A "for all lawful purposes" in Mendon. 100% painless/hassle free process. The applicant just needs to bring the completed form, copy of certificate, and a check. Pics and fingerprints were done at the time of application. They will call us to go pick up the license when its arrives. We were told 4-6 weeks. I'll report back then.

Submitted my packet today in Marlborough. The Sgt. was great to deal with. There was an issue with my CORI, a 24 year old CWOF / Dismissal that was incorrectly recorded as a conviction, and would be a disqualifier. The Sgt. could have easily told me to get lost until the discrepancy was sorted.. Instead he made several calls to the courthouse and straitened the mess out.. Ran my CORI a bunch of times until it came back corrected. I was expecting to hire a lawyer. I have wanted to apply for my license for years, but was reluctant because of the CWOF, and thought I'd be wasting my time.
I wrote a letter explaining the CWOF, and also added a letter from an associate as a letter of recommendation. I hope to receive an unrestricted permit, Marlborough is a 'green' town, but because of the CWOF and a few too many traffic tickets, I may get a restricted permit.. We'll see what happens..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom