Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Submitted my packet today in Marlborough. The Sgt. was great to deal with. There was an issue with my CORI, a 24 year old CWOF / Dismissal that was incorrectly recorded as a conviction, and would be a disqualifier. The Sgt. could have easily told me to get lost until the discrepancy was sorted.. Instead he made several calls to the courthouse and straitened the mess out.. Ran my CORI a bunch of times until it came back corrected. I was expecting to hire a lawyer. I have wanted to apply for my license for years, but was reluctant because of the CWOF, and thought I'd be wasting my time.
I wrote a letter explaining the CWOF, and also added a letter from an associate as a letter of recommendation. I hope to receive an unrestricted permit, Marlborough is a 'green' town, but because of the CWOF and a few too many traffic tickets, I may get a restricted permit.. We'll see what happens..

That is great that the SGT was willing to put in that m uch leg work for you. I would like to shake that person's hand. I had a crapload of speeding tickets and wh en I wnet for my permit (not in marlborough) it was not a factor.Keep positive and when you get your permit, make sure you thank that SGT!

Submitted my packet today in Marlborough. The Sgt. was great to deal with. There was an issue with my CORI, a 24 year old CWOF / Dismissal that was incorrectly recorded as a conviction, and would be a disqualifier. The Sgt. could have easily told me to get lost until the discrepancy was sorted.. Instead he made several calls to the courthouse and straitened the mess out.. Ran my CORI a bunch of times until it came back corrected. I was expecting to hire a lawyer. I have wanted to apply for my license for years, but was reluctant because of the CWOF, and thought I'd be wasting my time.
I wrote a letter explaining the CWOF, and also added a letter from an associate as a letter of recommendation. I hope to receive an unrestricted permit, Marlborough is a 'green' town, but because of the CWOF and a few too many traffic tickets, I may get a restricted permit.. We'll see what happens..

Wow! Sounds like a great guy!

We all bitch when things don't go our way, but rarely say "thank you" when someone does a good job or goes above and beyond.

I strongly suggest that you send a letter or Email to the Chief, Sgt, Town Mgr and Selectmen briefly thanking them for the assistance and efficiency in the process.

You'll be shocked at how much they will appreciate this . . . and remember you in the most positive light possible.

seriously, what everyone else said already. Awesome that he'd do the extra work to help you out. Could've gone way differently. Make sure to thank him in one way or another.

What was his name? We should call him out here in a positive light as a friend to civil rights.

Somerville, requested Class A, ALP - Got Class A T&H, took 2.5 weeks from application to receiving the card. Card was issued 4 days after application, presumably rest was mailing time.
No interviews, just came in, redid the paperwork on the computer, took fingerprints, a picture, a digital print, and done.

Will be requesting an ALP in the near future, and will update.

Somerville, requested Class A, ALP - Got Class A T&H, took 2.5 weeks from application to receiving the card. Card was issued 4 days after application, presumably rest was mailing time.
No interviews, just came in, redid the paperwork on the computer, took fingerprints, a picture, a digital print, and done.

Will be requesting an ALP in the near future, and will update.

How long ago was this?

Strange, I thought Somerville had turned the corner and issued unrestricted licenses. I would have sworn that was the recent cases we've seen here.

Strange, I thought Somerville had turned the corner and issued unrestricted licenses. I would have sworn that was the recent cases we've seen here.

his licensing officer is different from mine, which I would assume is the reason he got a restricted one.

Quincy here. Good luck getting an LTC if you are between the ages of 21 and 25. Our local police chief figures that adults at this age aren't "of suitable character".
[banghead][banghead]

There is a difference between not getting an LTC and not getting an LTCA issued for ALP or "restriction: none". QUincy will absolutely issue an LTCA to those in the 21 to 25 year old range, it is just that it will be restricted. A very important distinction to make when posting information here that others may read as research

[banghead][banghead]

We all bitch when things don't go our way, but rarely say "thank you" when someone does a good job or goes above and beyond.

I strongly suggest that you send a letter or Email to the Chief, Sgt, Town Mgr and Selectmen briefly thanking them for the assistance and efficiency in the process.

You'll be shocked at how much they will appreciate this . . . and remember you in the most positive light possible.

I'm gonna absolutely write a letter to the Chief commending this guy.. Once I pick up my permit, restricted or not.. I don't want the chief to think I'm just trying to brown nose my way to an unrestricted permit..

I'm gonna absolutely write a letter to the Chief commending this guy.. Once I pick up my permit, restricted or not.. I don't want the chief to think I'm just trying to brown nose my way to an unrestricted permit..

Yup, always wait until the transaction is complete and then do it.

I got two responses from my Email thanking me for the positive comments . . . one from my chief and the other from my town manager.

To give you an idea how important that sort of action is to people, here's an old anecdote.

I used to have a PO Box in Framingham for many years. The USPO workers I dealt with (ALL of them) were super polite and helpful (I'd frequently get a bin full of trade Mail so I was a frequent face at the counter). One day I wrote the Postmaster (who I never met) complimenting her and her staff. About a year later, I go to the counter to pickup the Mail and the worker (who I never recall dealing with before) says to me "you're the guy who sent that nice letter to our Postmaster, aren't you?" They remember you for a good long time, and for positive reasons! [My next PO Box was in a town that didn't keep their posted hours all the time, complained about my Mail piling up (I got phone calls) and were general PITA. I sent a complaint letter about them to the USPO Customer Service office in DC. They remembered me too, but not in the same way. [laugh] I got my revenge when I closed that PO Box. [devil]]

To give you an idea how important that sort of action is to people, here's an old anecdote.

Here's another ...

About 15 years ago I lived in Natick, and came home after a showstorm. I parked my car at the curb, went inside to change, and go out and shovel (I did not have a blower at the time). My car was gone - towed. I called the PD and they told me that the car was ticked and towed because it was blocking snow removal. I pointed out it was on the street for less than 10 minutes and nobody made any effort to ring my doorbell. I was told they could not read the plate because of snow snow so they could not look up my number and phone (presumably from the comfort of their cruiser).

Anyhow, the night Sgt told me he would "take care of it". The ticket was voided, and the tow company told to tow the car back to my house at no charge. The tow driver was not happy.

Yes, I send a thank you letter to the chief.

It never hurts to express gratitude...

Last edited:
Well just got my Class A LTC in Somerville and they put Restrictions Target & Hunting. The application process was easy and It came to my house in the mail about 3 and half weeks from when I turned in the app and had my "interview". I'm so pissed about the restrictions though.

Another confirmation on Holyoke, BTW.
(getting around to this late)

My interview/printing was very quick once I *finally* was able to connect with the permitting officer, and I had my LTC-A a few weeks later with no restrictions.

Wish me luck, guys - I submitted my paperwork yesterday for a renewal in Shirley after moving here from Lowell. Lowell as many of you know, will issue a Class A, but they restrict it to target shooting/hunting and as nice as the issuing officer is, she won't (can't) budge unless you have a need for a gun 'for work purposes.'

I asked the girl at the desk and she said yes, this town does issue ALP, she said someone would be in touch....fingers crossed, I hope its still green here and will update on my progress. Anyone here from Shirley? Wondering what your experience was.

Last edited:
Moving back to the "Boston" jurisdiction in May. Not like it matters, I live in a red town now, so nothing will change. [frown]

Maybe upon renewal in a few years, Boston will be green! [laugh]

Moving back to the "Boston" jurisdiction in May. Not like it matters, I live in a red town now, so nothing will change. [frown]

Boston has it's own (mostly unenforced/unheard of) AWB which severely restricts the kinds of rifles you can own inside the city. So, technically speaking, it is worse.

-Mike

Any reason you can't move to Arlington instead?

Looked in Arlington, but ended up finding a great deal on an awesome 2 bed - 2 bath with laundry & parking included, close to the T. Trade offs.

Boston has it's own (mostly unenforced/unheard of) AWB which severely restricts the kinds of rifles you can own inside the city. So, technically speaking, it is worse.

-Mike

Yeah for that reason I "own" (read: paid for) an AR-15 that is registered and stored with a family member in a town that allows them. I forgot about that AWB.

Andover is not requiring a doctors note anymore, I will know tomorrow how easily they give an ALP, but it only took two weeks from the time my application was sent in till the time they called me for a meeting with the licensing office.....

on another note, anyone got any tips for what to expect/say to the licensing officer at my meeting? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom