Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word on Avon?

Hi folks,

Anyone have any information on Avon? I'm scheduled to take the safety course in mid-May, and have no idea what to expect from the town PD. I've scoured this thread but the town is so small it's no surprise that there's no feedback.

Given the proximity to Brockton and its crime, one would think they'd be handing LTCs out as housewarming gifts to qualified law-abiding citizens. But I imagine when faced with violent communities, there's pressure on PDs to clamp down on gun ownership wherever possible.

Grateful for any information or thoughts you might have.
-- Josh

Hi folks,

Anyone have any information on Avon? I'm scheduled to take the safety course in mid-May, and have no idea what to expect from the town PD. I've scoured this thread but the town is so small it's no surprise that there's no feedback.

. . .

Grateful for any information or thoughts you might have.
-- Josh

Josh,

No direct info for you, but Chief Warren Phillips did make an effort to attend one of the last Chief Ron Glidden seminars that I brought to Braintree R&P a few years ago. And he specifically came over and introduced himself to me . . . I never met or spoke to him before that day, but I had invited 4 or 5 other chiefs that I know, etc. and none of them showed up. I don't know if he's a member of BR&P or not, but the fact that he made a personal effort to educate himself on the laws gives him "points" in my book.

Good luck.

Heads up on upcoming retirements of MA police chiefs. This may or may not result in any changes to licensing policies for the better or the worse . . . but will warrant updating town status.

Plainville - Chief Merrick

Lexington - Chief Casey

Amherst - Chief Scherpa

Heads up on upcoming retirements of MA police chiefs. This may or may not result in any changes to licensing policies for the better or the worse . . . but will warrant updating town status.

Plainville - Chief Merrick

Lexington - Chief Casey

Amherst - Chief Scherpa

Lexington is an important one. It is unknown now, but assuming it is like arlington and concord, it is a green town bordering the inside 128 loop red towns. I know some of those towns are trying to push their licensing practices on neighboring towns.

Lexington is an important one. It is unknown now, but assuming it is like arlington and concord, it is a green town bordering the inside 128 loop red towns. I know some of those towns are trying to push their licensing practices on neighboring towns.

When you live in a particular town, it's real important! [wink]

Just keep in mind that in at least some cases, the chief's rules are actually dictated by the selectmen/mayor/town manager. Most chiefs appointed these days are not "strong chiefs" or civil service, but serve at the will and pleasure of their political bosses.

Well, I just received my Class A LTC ALP in Pembroke, thought my situation may be some what different seeing that one reference was a Pembroke Police Officer and the other a retired Braintree Police Officer, and I'm a former USAF Security Police Officer.

None the less, Detective Cain was extremely professional and polite, and it didn't take too long, 3 weeks to the day.

Just got my LTC A No Restrictions from Amesbury. 6 weeks (but could have been sooner, was waiting for Birthday to get the full 6 years). Sgt Fournier very pleasant, professional, and made the entire process actually fun. It's good to see that there are some great guys in this State.

Now..... I want to go shopping[smile]

Just got my LTC A No Restrictions from Amesbury. 6 weeks (but could have been sooner, was waiting for Birthday to get the full 6 years). Sgt Fournier very pleasant, professional, and made the entire process actually fun. It's good to see that there are some great guys in this State.

Now..... I want to go shopping[smile]

Congrats [party] what are you looking at for your first purchase?

Really liked the Glock I fired last week, Glock 19. And need a 22 to save some money and get the wife more comfortable around guns. She loves them but is a little nervous. And she just turned in her app for LTC. So the good news is I don;t have to hide any purchases. The bad news...if I get something she likes I know I won't see that again[sad]

Methuen should be Black

I applied in Methuen 5+ weeks ago and have not received my class B yet. I was told by the gun officer that is Methuens policy not to give a class A to anyone who has not had an FID or a B for at least on year.

In the coast guard, living in Franklin, working in Sandwich (Station Cape Cod Canal?), a tolkeinesque screenname and owning guns...

BM2, is that you?

Natick: 08/2006 - LTCA with no issues.

Met with the licensing officer. She was very friendly once she sized me up. I listed ALP and gave a reasonable justification for the request (which was transportation of expensive equipment). I never met the Chief. I did have a few quality references, one of which was active in the town govt (although not an "official").

I hope this helps someone. For my money I'd call Natick Green but YMMV.

Congrats - though if the "justification" was required for ALP - that's not green in my book... Green would be ALP for self defense...

that and in Natick, there are tons of cases of people arbitrarily getting restrictions, and others getting unrestricted with zero extra work. Definitely not green.

Milford, MA

This Milford, MA is green. I got my LTC Class A with no restrictions. The PD officer was very nice guy and by the book. He did not ask me any questions. I assume because I properly filled out the application. He even apologized to me because the wait would be between 5 -7 weeks to get the permit he said. Lots of folks applying he said and there was a backlog.

I did need to return a second time for fingerprints. I was told the first set was rejected by State Police.

7 weeks after applications was submitted to get a permit. A long time but worth the wait.

While I don't have it in my hands yet, they said it'd be about a week, I was issued an LTC-A "All Lawful Purposes" in Winchester today.

I see it is still blue, is it too early to mark Winchester green. I'll post back after I pick it up.

Last edited:
While I don't have it in my hands yet, they said it'd be about a week, I was issued an LTC-A "All Lawful Purposes" in Winchester today.

I see it is still blue, is it too early to mark Winchester green. I'll post back after I pick it up.

did you have to give any extra reason why you wanted ALP? Any extra paperwork that is not required by the state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom