Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
how did your friend get no restrictions in Cambridge? handle large sums of money?

They dont just give those out there.....

You aren't kidding. He doesn't handle large sums of money or own his own business...just an everyday citizen. He literally walked into the station sometime in February after filling out "the pacakge." A secratary took his photo/fingerprinted/asked the necessary questions and told him he was all set (that's right, he didn't even need to see the detective in charge!). 3 weeks later he gets a call from Cambridge PD saying his LTC is in. He walks in, picks up the card and walks out. It was only after he walks out that he sees "Restrictions: None" on the card. He even showed it to me to give me crap...its legit!

EDIT: I should add that it is definitely a Class A LTC with no restrictions (like I said, he showed it to me). Also, he doesn't know anyone at Cambridge PD, nor is he affiliated with any politician either. He walked in, applied, and walked out. Less than a month later, LTC-A ALP.

Last edited:
I moved to North Reading from Georgetown, MA about 4 years ago and renewed my LTC Class A...no problems whatsoever except the time it took to arrange a meeting with the officer in charge, largely due to my schedule. Don't know how it will work for newbies.

Mike

First time Class A in Mashpee, took a while but no real problems and the lady I dealt with, Mary Casanelli(sp?), was an absolute sweet heart. Really pleasant to deal with!

The man's right

sksmass has already described Williamstown as a green place to apply for an ALP Class A permit. He also mentioned that the PD even seems to go so far as to be gun-friendly, and that seems to be the case.

I have no way of knowing if it's true, but I heard from the local Firearms Safety Instructor that the department Chief is a hoplophile, and virtually all the Class A licenses he issues come with no restrictions.

Had 2 friends from Boxford tell me this weekend that it is a solid green, and that the chief is one of the good guys.

I applied in Newton, MA a week ago. As soon as I see wht the new chief gives me I'll let everyone know. I'm hoping it is NR given my military background.

I'm hoping it is NR given my military background.

I think you'll find that many licensing officers won't consider your military background to be of any advantage when it comes to giving out an unrestricted license.

(And btw, thank you for your service.)

just so you guys know, ive seen a lot of people with unrestricted class A's.

(for danvers, sorry i forgot the city name, duh!)

Last edited:
An update on Springfield; it still deserves a big fat RED.

I listed "All lawful purpose", but the clerk wouldn't even accept the application with that listed. I asked for the least restrictive choice, and she said I could list "Protection." It was approved for protection.

When my wife applied last month, she listed: "Restrictions: None (formerly known as All Lawful Purpose)" on her form. It was accepted at face value by the clerk, giving me hope! A week later she got a call, asking her why she was applying ("target shooting?"). My wife smartly replied "I live in Springfield, isn't that enough reason?"

The clerk agreed that that should be enough reason, but she said that she would "try for 'Protection'."

It was approved for "Protection."

Last edited:
The clerk agreed that that should be enough reason, but she said that she would "try for 'Protection'."
So, what does "protection" mean in practical terms?

If it is something other than "employment" or "hunting and sport" then what is left other than "no conceal?"

Very strange... [thinking]

Is Groton green or red? The chart shows red, but I found a couple of posts from years ago that said green. A friend of mine wants to apply so he can have a pistol.

Is Groton green or red? The chart shows red, but I found a couple of posts from years ago that said green. A friend of mine wants to apply so he can have a pistol.

***Important*** If you did a search on your town, the software will default it's color to RED (this is the softwares way of highlighting it). Please don't use the forum software to search a town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom