Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had mine lifted in Reading.
After a year of Restricted, I wrote a letter, including my background (military, designated weapons carrier for mobility team) pointed out my references were an LEO, my wife, and a unit member. included that I hadn't had so much as a parking ticket in the time I've lived here. Pointed out that my intention was to carry for protection and that I was currently unable to do so legally. I asked they reconsider and re-issue
I'm not sure if all that was necessary, but low and behold, a few weeks later I received my new license in the mail.

Went and took Basic Firearms safety today at BostonFirearms. Great class and left feeling pretty comfortable with a gun. I plan to apply right away for my LTC-A. He informed us that Revere is giving a 6 year restriction. My problem is I also have a residence in Everett. This city is green and on the 2014 report was 100% LTC.

My problem is I don't live there full time but my Vehicle license is out of there.Is it safe to apply in Everett as it's my mailing address but not where I rest my head every night? I don't want there to be any problems if I do this.

Thanks for any guidance as I plan to pick up an Application tonight and would like to get it from Everett if that's legal and all that.

Depends on whether you can prove residency to Everett. I don't think residency within the state has a clear definition for firearms license purposes. I always have used my voter registration as proof of residency, not sure what sort of documentation you have.

Anyone know how the police department is suppose to request a new license. To the extent of the officers knowledge that I talked to he has only the options of reporting it lost or stolen for a replacement.

My restrictions on the computer system Say NONE!!! so its a start.

He said he could give me a printout of the filing.

Anyone know how the police department is suppose to request a new license. To the extent of the officers knowledge that I talked to he has only the options of reporting it lost or stolen for a replacement.

My restrictions on the computer system Say NONE!!! so its a start.

He said he could give me a printout of the filing.

That should generate a new piece of plastic mailed to the PD.

I went in for my renewal in Medford today. The licensing officer was friendly and very professional. I asked for Unrestricted with All Lawful Purpose as the reason. The officer asked me what I am currently doing with my license. I answered that "so far, target shooting and competition" since my license is restricted. He asked what I wanted to do with the renewal. I answered, "I'd like to conceal carry." He said that the chief only issues restricted for first time applicant but since this is a renewal, I'd have to write him a letter with my application. He then showed me a few sample letters from other application to read. Overall, the licensing officer was quite helpful. I emailed the letter today. We'll see in a few months what happens. Hoping for the best.

Did you ask if emailing the letter was acceptable? Maybe I'm old school but my thought is that a letter printed on your letterhead and signed by your hand might make a better impression. I hope you are successful getting your license upgraded.

That should generate a new piece of plastic mailed to the PD.

I guess it didn't or got lost. They literately had a drawer full of licenses when my wife picked hers up a couple years ago. It could possibly be in the drawer and overlooked. When I picked mine up prior to that it was pulled from a file cabinet and seemed very organized.

I think I will call back later and ask if they can report the permit as lost if one was suppose to be sent. Maybe that's why I was never called when my restrictions were removed.

---Update---
Called the records bureau and they sent a new LTC months ago and to have the police department report it lost/stolen. Police department is looking to see if it was misplaced before reporting lost/stolen and calling me back later to either pick it up or to tell me they reported it lost/stolen.

Last edited:
I had mine lifted in Reading.
After a year of Restricted, I wrote a letter, including my background (military, designated weapons carrier for mobility team) pointed out my references were an LEO, my wife, and a unit member. included that I hadn't had so much as a parking ticket in the time I've lived here. Pointed out that my intention was to carry for protection and that I was currently unable to do so legally. I asked they reconsider and re-issue
I'm not sure if all that was necessary, but low and behold, a few weeks later I received my new license in the mail.

Reading is now green as long as you're squeaky clean. I just wish they'd drop the reference requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you ask if emailing the letter was acceptable? Maybe I'm old school but my thought is that a letter printed on your letterhead and signed by your hand might make a better impression. I hope you are successful getting your license upgraded.

The licensing officer asked me to email to him and then he prints it and attaches it to my application out for the chief. Thanks for the well wishes.

Sent using Tapatalk

Here is another question. I've read a lot about the way chiefs sometimes treat first-time applicants differently and are more likely to put restrictions on them. Does this apply as much if you are coming into Massachusetts with a concealed carry license from the state you just left? I can provide a licensing history in Michigan, Florida and Maine. I also have certificates of completion for the Defensive Handgun course at Front Sight, the Florida concealed carry course, the Michigan concealed carry course and I am an NRA Certified Range Safety Officer and Pistol Instructor. I would assume that helps? Also, are any of those training credentials good or do I still need to take the basic pistol class yet again in Mass?
I did not read every answer (So it may be covered) but if you are a NRA certified Pistol Instructor you can apply to the MA state police and Pay the $50 fee to get certified as a MA State pOlice instructor. With that certification you can issue your own training certificate that can be used for your LTC. Save you about $100 on the cost of the LTC-02 course offered many places.

Friend walked into the Malden Police Station this morning (no appointment needed) and submitted all of her documentation for an LTC.
Was quoted 6-8 weeks, we'll see how long it actually takes though. I'm guessing 3-5 weeks.
I will update you when she hears back.

Haven't heard back yet, but my brother just applied in Malden a few days ago as well.
Hopefully good news for both. We will see.

I did not read every answer (So it may be covered) but if you are a NRA certified Pistol Instructor you can apply to the MA state police and Pay the $50 fee to get certified as a MA State pOlice instructor. With that certification you can issue your own training certificate that can be used for your LTC. Save you about $100 on the cost of the LTC-02 course offered many places.

No, you can't. Plus you need an LTC for them to accept your application to be a MSP approved instructor. Please don't post bad info. Its ok to not now, but not ok to post erroneous crap like that.

Last edited:
Friend walked into the Malden Police Station this morning (no appointment needed) and submitted all of her documentation for an LTC.
Was quoted 6-8 weeks, we'll see how long it actually takes though. I'm guessing 3-5 weeks.
I will update you when she hears back.

Friend who applied on 1/26/2015 received her unrestricted license today.
Took about 5ish weeks.

Framingham might be edging back green. New Chief, new LO. I know for a fact they're lifting restrictions. New application doesn't require any letters of support/reference anymore.

My wife is getting ready to apply. Will update as things progress.

I'm curious how Comm2A is making out with fighting restrictions within the court process. I haven't found any updates on the current law suits. If anyone knows of any updates, I would love to read them. Comm2A is doing a great job standing up for us!

I'm curious how Comm2A is making out with fighting restrictions within the court process. I haven't found any updates on the current law suits. If anyone knows of any updates, I would love to read them. Comm2A is doing a great job standing up for us!

Try checking their website. www.comm2a.org

They post status there continually.

They also post info here on a regular basis, but it is buried in many threads all over the place on NES and thus harder to find unless you are tracking those threads.

Welcome to NES!

Thank you, I'm happy to join the site and will be becoming a paid member soon. There sure is a wealth of knowledge on here! Sadly I live in a red area and recently applied for an LTC after stepping away from the game for a number of years. Lost my hunting partner 15 years ago and lost interest in something I used to love to do. So I decided to get back into it and teach the youngsters the things I was fortunate enough to learn.

My how things have changed over the years.... The biggest thing about the restrictions I don't care for is that in my eyes it leaves a large window of opportunity open to get in trouble. Too many questions, not enough answers, and too many ways to twist the truth... Example.... Carrying while mushroom picking... Technically not target shooting or hunting... If your unrestricted, you can't get in trouble....

My son applied for FID card in Franklin in late Jan & it arrived today. We do have a good PD from the top down. Others may disagree, but I have had nothing but good experiences.

Last edited:
JUST an FYI, The Danvers COP is retiring soon! although he was a PItA earlier, the last year or so hes been issuing LTC-A non restricted.
No idea who is coming aboard its going out to Civil Service
I think you got about 60 days...

We (Comm2A) are pathetically behind on the communication front. We plan to have two catch-up newsletters out next week. And, yes, we try to keep the website up to date (but it's a little behind).

To get on our distribution list sign up here. We won't spam you continuously. In fact, we mail so infrequently that people keep signing up over and over again because they think we've dropped them.

Fact is that we're all out. We've filed three new federal law suits just within the last 60 days, plus an appeal and another one on the way. And there's some other stuff that you'll start seeing in about six weeks.

In fact we announced a very strategic case yesterday the implications of which didn't seem to make much of an impression. Which is too bad. 'Misdefelony' cases are going to be critical in establishing what's actually protected by the Second Amendment.

As for carry, Davis v. Grimes is limping along. It appears that Peabody has changed their policy and is now a 'green' town. It seems like there might also be a change in the works in Weymouth as well, but it's too soon to tell. We're following up Davis with a new challenge (Batty v. Albertelli) against Weymouth (again), Winchester, and Lowell. If course the SJC decided earlier this month that there's no right to a license, so that make thing more interesting.

We're only able to maintain this 'operation temple' with long hours and the support of people like members of NES. The BEST thing anyone can do to support us is to become a regular donor. We have a surprisingly small donor base. Even the smallest pledge of $10/month is HUGE for us.

Update! I got my renewal in the mail this past Saturday. Got my renewal with "Restrictions: None" Happy as a clam! I went in to renew on 2/24 and got it in the mail 3/28. Just a hair over a month. Pretty impressive given all the stuff I've heard about how slow renewals have been going.

The one odd thing is the Date of Issue for my renewal is 8/15 - that's when my old LTC expires. So does that mean this renewal is not valid until 8/15? I'm still restricted until then?

Good luck! Please let us know the outcome.

I went in for my renewal in Medford today. The licensing officer was friendly and very professional. I asked for Unrestricted with All Lawful Purpose as the reason. The officer asked me what I am currently doing with my license. I answered that "so far, target shooting and competition" since my license is restricted. He asked what I wanted to do with the renewal. I answered, "I'd like to conceal carry." He said that the chief only issues restricted for first time applicant but since this is a renewal, I'd have to write him a letter with my application. He then showed me a few sample letters from other application to read. Overall, the licensing officer was quite helpful. I emailed the letter today. We'll see in a few months what happens. Hoping for the best.

Update! I got my renewal in the mail this past Saturday. Got my renewal with "Restrictions: None" Happy as a clam! I went in to renew on 2/24 and got it in the mail 3/28. Just a hair over a month. Pretty impressive given all the stuff I've heard about how slow renewals have been going.

The one odd thing is the Date of Issue for my renewal is 8/15 - that's when my old LTC expires. So does that mean this renewal is not valid until 8/15? I'm still restricted until then?

You are restricted until your new license becomes valid on 8/15. What's surprising, is they let you renew it so early.

Yes. And you may just want to call after 8/15 and verify that your license is now "active in the system"

- - - Updated - - -

I was wondering if anyone has had a license issued recently here in Seekonk, MA specifically? On list in this thread it says that it's a green "ALP" town. Was wondering if that's still the case, as the list is a few years old...and what exactly that means, All Lawful Purposes? Does it mean an unrestricted Class A, concealed carry, or all of the above? The information I've come across so far in my searches, as to it's exact meaning, is kind of all over the place. And seems that it's no longer excepted on your application letter as a reason, at least in some townships. Also, does it mean that all licenses issued here are unrestricted? It appears that way according to this list, at least from 2012-2013 http://www.comm2a.org/index.php/8-home/197-licensing

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm new to New England's confusing gun laws that seem to be all over the place. I'm not in need of a concealed carry permit... but wouldn't mind having that option. I know that they only issue Class A here, but don't want to be downgraded to an FID if I say that I mainly want a license for target and hunting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom