Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone has had a license issued recently here in Seekonk, MA specifically? On list in this thread it says that it's a green "ALP" town. Was wondering if that's still the case, as the list is a few years old...and what exactly that means, All Lawful Purposes? Does it mean an unrestricted Class A, concealed carry, or all of the above? The information I've come across so far in my searches, as to it's exact meaning, is kind of all over the place. And seems that it's no longer excepted on your application letter as a reason, at least in some townships. Also, does it mean that all licenses issued here are unrestricted? It appears that way according to this list, at least from 2012-2013 http://www.comm2a.org/index.php/8-home/197-licensing

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm new to New England's confusing gun laws that seem to be all over the place. I'm not in need of a concealed carry permit... but wouldn't mind having that option. I know that they only issue Class A here, but don't want to be downgraded to an FID if I say that I mainly want a license for target and hunting.

When it comes to gun licenses. No news is good news. If nobody is talking (complaining) about Seekonk in a while, it's most likely for a good reason.

I sent multiple mails to Boston PD asking for restrictions lifted. No go. Sent email to Comm2a, no responses from them. Can anyone give me any advice on what I should do to get restrictions lifted?

I sent multiple mails to Boston PD asking for restrictions lifted. No go. Sent email to Comm2a, no responses from them. Can anyone give me any advice on what I should do to get restrictions lifted?
You are going in the right direction. Give Comm2A a little longer, and if nothing happens, give them a call too.

You are going in the right direction. Give Comm2A a little longer, and if nothing happens, give them a call too.

We run about a month behind responding to contacts that are not 'actionable'. By that, I mean we try to be quick getting back to people who 1) are potential litigants, 2) have other problems where we can quickly point them in the right direction.

Restricted licenses aren't really actionable at this time because we already have on-going litigation in the works. Although we do want to hear from people with restricted licenses in the towns we're currently litigating against. Many other towns are trending 'green' and it never hurts to request to have your restrictions removed.

The quick answer for people in 'difficult' towns like Boston, is that you're probably stuck with them until there's a policy change or a court rules favorable on right-to-carry.

Thanks for the update! It's just so frustrating that I was trying to be courteous and reasonable to the Firearms Licensing Commander at the BPD, but his mind was made before the call was made. Trying to be proactive but I have reached my roadblock for now..

FYI: We are not ignoring Boston or any other town. It's a matter of approaching this smartly and with discipline. We realize it's frustrating, but it will yield a better outcome long term.

Just received renewal back from Cohasset. Only 3 weeks from application to receipt. No restrictions as original. Whole process very efficient and professional. No extra burdens such as letters etc.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone has had a license issued recently here in Seekonk, MA specifically? On list in this thread it says that it's a green "ALP" town. Was wondering if that's still the case, as the list is a few years old...and what exactly that means, All Lawful Purposes? Does it mean an unrestricted Class A, concealed carry, or all of the above? The information I've come across so far in my searches, as to it's exact meaning, is kind of all over the place. And seems that it's no longer excepted on your application letter as a reason, at least in some townships. Also, does it mean that all licenses issued here are unrestricted? It appears that way according to this list, at least from 2012-2013 http://www.comm2a.org/index.php/8-home/197-licensing

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm new to New England's confusing gun laws that seem to be all over the place. I'm not in need of a concealed carry permit... but wouldn't mind having that option. I know that they only issue Class A here, but don't want to be downgraded to an FID if I say that I mainly want a license for target and hunting.

I have a friend that lives in Seekonk and he got his LTC with no restrictions in a timely fashion earlier this year.

Auburn MA application started 3/3/15 prints and drop off same day, call back to schedule with in hours of leaving message for appointment, LTC A unrestricted in hand 4/13/15. First time application.

- - - Updated - - -

Auburn MA application started 3/3/15 prints and drop off same day, call back to schedule with in hours of leaving message for appointment, LTC A unrestricted in hand 4/13/15. First time application.

my brother just applied in Malden a few days ago as well.

My brother applied on March 3rd, got his [unrestricted] LTC a couple days ago in the mail.
That's 2 people close to me within the past few weeks.
A thirds application is pending.
Malden is running between 5-6 week turnaround time.

I just did my renewal in Norwood. Unrestricted, 0 problems.

My girlfriend got her Hull permit Summer of last year. It took 5+ months, but she got it unrestricted. No issues.

First time LTC-A unrestricted in Lexington, Mass. It took 10 weeks. Probably helped that one of my letters of reference was a retired cop (not Lexington but near by).

Last edited:
Anyone have recent experience in Framingham? Looks like I may be buying a house there.

My girlfriend has her training certificate from last year, but never got around to apply in Needham where we are now. Not sure if should just get it in quick, or wait.

Comparing their current application instructions on the websites, Needham wants written letters from references, Framingham just need to list them on application.

Anyone have recent experience in Framingham? Looks like I may be buying a house there.

My girlfriend has her training certificate from last year, but never got around to apply in Needham where we are now. Not sure if should just get it in quick, or wait.

Comparing their current application instructions on the websites, Needham wants written letters from references, Framingham just need to list them on application.

Look at Comm2a's data here: http://comm2a.org/index.php/resources

It looks as though 85% of the LTCs issued by Framingham during 2014 were unrestricted LTC-A.

One year to the day from receiving my LTC-A: Target and Hunting in Chelsea and I went back in for my unrestricted. All it took was a phone call and a 3+ week wait, and now I'm LTC-A: Unrestricted!

- - - Updated - - -

One year to the day from receiving my LTC-A: Target and Hunting in Chelsea and I asked for my unrestricted. All it took was a phone call and a 3+ week wait, and now I'm LTC-A: Unrestricted!

Any updates from brockton? Have unrestricted out of bridgewater but looking at purchasing a home in the area this summer. Brockton easton line are decent neighborhoods and relatively low cost.

Edit: per comm2a brockton is 400 unrestricted 60 restricted. Avoid or do they issue unrestricted on renewal?

Edit 2: application on Brockton pd website still states you must be a us citizen.

Last edited:
curious in towns where restrictions may still be common place what are the explanations they now have to provide saying? just wondering what places like Boston are writing to all restricted licensees per new law.

Any updates from brockton? Have unrestricted out of bridgewater but looking at purchasing a home in the area this summer. Brockton easton line are decent neighborhoods and relatively low cost.

Edit: per comm2a brockton is 400 unrestricted 60 restricted. Avoid or do they issue unrestricted on renewal?

Edit 2: application on Brockton pd website still states you must be a us citizen.

Thanks for the heads up. They don't appear to go by this in practice as they've been issuing LTCs to green card holders since 2012.

Thanks for the heads up. They don't appear to go by this in practice as they've been issuing LTCs to green card holders since 2012.

My town's website is usually ~2 revisions behind on the online application forms. I was the one who Emailed the up-to-date form to the chief's secretary a few times in the past. She retired and I need to talk with the current secretary about the new form or just Email it to the chief/deputy chief.

The situation dennism reports isn't unusual. Use the latest form from the FRB website and you should be fine.

since you're already holding an unrestricted ltc they will most likely issue the same. liscensing officer is not the best proponent of 2a, but he's a decent enough guy.

The licensing authority is not required to provide a reason for restricting a license. That's a common misconception seems to be repeated over and over again.

The licensing authority should not be allowed to restrict a license. Too bad it's not a right to bear arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom