• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd bet it's mostly first time applicants who are concerned with that info to begin with. With some exceptions to people moving to very red towns, unrestricted renewals are probably easier to get.

If that's the case, shouldn't it simply be based on the percentage of unrestricted LTCs that are issued? Instead of relying on what people on this board say, use the comm2a data and have a certain percentage be the cut off point. You can't argue with the numbers.

There's about 350 towns listed. There's only 55 that issue below 90% unrestricted LTCs (about 16% of towns) - with Braintree being one of them. Maybe all towns below 80% should be considered red?

http://www.comm2a.org/images/LTC_Town_Ranking.pdf

I'm just making the case because it's frustrating to see your town as orange. I don't like uncertainty [smile].

Yeah, I see what youre saying. The Comm2A data is relatively new, and this list predates it by many years, so it was built on first hand experiences from people here

2014 Comm2A Scorecard

2014 Scorecards have been posted.

One of the biggest surprises here is that Adams has surged into first place on the worst of the worst list, issuing unrestricted LTCs just 13% of the time. Some towns have improved, some have gone the other way. Overall 91% of ALL LTCs issued in Massachusetts in 2014 were LTC/A Restrictions: None.

Comm2A 2014 Licensing Scorecards:

2014 Scorecards have been posted.

One of the biggest surprises here is that Adams has surged into first place on the worst of the worst list, issuing unrestricted LTCs just 13% of the time. Some towns have improved, some have gone the other way. Overall 91% of ALL LTCs issued in Massachusetts in 2014 were LTC/A Restrictions: None.

Comm2A 2014 Licensing Scorecards:

I'm saddened to note that my own town has dropped from the "green" to the "yellow" category. Did Adams change police chiefs or something?

I'm saddened to note that my own town has dropped from the "green" to the "yellow" category. Did Adams change police chiefs or something?

We were trying to figure that out this morning. Anything you or other Adam's residents can provide info on, we would appreciate the info.

We were trying to figure that out this morning. Anything you or other Adam's residents can provide info on, we would appreciate the info.

Oh, sorry for the confusion, I'm not in Adams, I'm...elsewhere. Sorry about that, I should have been clearer.

Last edited:
Wow. I thought for Reading to go from red to green, they would have to change the name of the town....

Does anyone have experience with them lifting restrictions? I will post here when I learn more myself.
According to the Comm2A 2014 statistics Reading issued 91% of its 2014 LTC-A's as unrestricted and is listed as Yellow. If they only changed their policy 6 months ago it makes sense that only 91% were unrestricted since the 2014 data would include 6 months of "red" activity and 6 months of "green".

As far as lifting restrictions you should do what others have done in several towns. Write a letter to the COP and request a meeting. He can lift restrictions if he chooses. Sounds like in Reading they have made a conscious decision to change their behavior!

Surprised to see Berlin at yellow. Anybody have details? We got a new chief last year and my renewal happened during the transition. I have no restrictions on mine, wondering what new policy is in place now. We've always been a no hassles town.

They did get a new chief, back in 2013. That ATF guy that was trying to get the Fitchburg COP job also tried for the Adams job but didn't get it.
http://www.iberkshires.com/story/45229/New-Adams-Police-Chief-Tarsa-Vows-Service.html
That would explain the change in data.
If the new chief in Adams is solely responsible for the change, there was a lag in the implementation of the new policy. As late as February of 2014 most LTC were issued unrestricted (13 of 16). After that it changes pretty dramatically:
Mar '14 - 0/1 license issued were unrestricted.
Apr '14 - 0/0
May '14 - 2/17
June '14 - 8/60
July '14 - 0/11
Aug '14 - 0/2
Sep '14 - 3/16
and so on....

The peak in licensing in June 2014 leads me to believe that perhaps they were sitting on applications, possibly contemplating a new policy. Keep in mind too that often the chief has no idea what happens with licensing having abrogated the responsibility to a subordinate.

All of the unrestricted LTC issued by Adams in 2014 were renewals, not new licenses. Also, the most common restriction was 'Other' indicating that it could be anything including "All Lawful Purposes" or "Protection". These 'restrictions' are actually 'reasons' from the pre-1998 l9icensing scheme and are effectively unrestricted licenses.

The bottom line is that we don't know if Adams is really restricting the right-to-carry or if they're just not using MIRCS correctly.

The bottom line is that we don't know if Adams is really restricting the right-to-carry or if they're just not using MIRCS correctly.

That's an interesting possibility. I have a buddy from there (who I know has unrestricted) that I will likely see tomorrow and I will ask him if he has any insight. For what its worth, there are a few folks at my club from Adams and I haven't heard any complaints about licensing.

I know there has been some turnover in the PD over the last couple years for a few reasons and I wonder if there was a lag while they assigned a new licensing officer (it is a pretty small PD).
"For the past year the department has been down, at one point or the other, four officers," Tarsa said. "Just the resignation alone created such a void that I had to shuffle manpower around to other shifts in order to accommodate part of it." http://www.iberkshires.com/story/48...s-Full-Staffing-Adds-North-Adams-Officer.html

Has anyone been able to convert to no restrictions in Chicopee without renewing recently? I sent in two letters over the last 6 months to the COP and looking to see what my next step should be.

I had a friend do something similar and he followed up with phone calls and was essentially told to stop bothering them unless he wanted to lose his license. This was about 18 months ago for him though.

EDIT: 3/4/15
Sent another letter into the department and got a call today. It was changed months ago it turns out and they don't know how to issue a new license to replace the current one. I can kind of understand why they get confused as the online program seems to only let them claim a card as lost or stolen for replacements.

Anyone know the procedure for this?
The office said I am free to carry and enjoy.

Last edited:
Seems like a bunch of towns are changes practices since the New Year. I got my license in Waltham in June. Restrict t&h... When it was issued I was told by the licensing Officer that after 2 years they were considering removing the restrictions. Anyone from Waltham know if they changed their mind recently? I will probably call them this week but maybe someone already knows the answer.

- - - Updated - - -

I spoke to Officer Modica this morning and asked him about getting my restrictions removed. He asked how long I've had my license and I said since 2013. He asked if anything with my employment has changed, which nothing has. He said, no, I can't have my restrictions removed. He said that the chief believes that 1st time applicants should have restrictions, so I can try again when my license is up for renewal in 4 years.

Busted.

I spoke to Officer Modica this morning and asked him about getting my restrictions removed. He asked how long I've had my license and I said since 2013. He asked if anything with my employment has changed, which nothing has. He said, no, I can't have my restrictions removed. He said that the chief believes that 1st time applicants should have restrictions, so I can try again when my license is up for renewal in 4 years.

Busted.

If that isn't an arbitrary reason, I don't know what is. Ridiculous.

Busted.

Talk to Comm2A.

If the new chief in Adams is solely responsible for the change, there was a lag in the implementation of the new policy. As late as February of 2014 most LTC were issued unrestricted (13 of 16). After that it changes pretty dramatically:
Mar '14 - 0/1 license issued were unrestricted.
Apr '14 - 0/0
May '14 - 2/17
June '14 - 8/60
July '14 - 0/11
Aug '14 - 0/2
Sep '14 - 3/16
and so on....

The peak in licensing in June 2014 leads me to believe that perhaps they were sitting on applications, possibly contemplating a new policy. Keep in mind too that often the chief has no idea what happens with licensing having abrogated the responsibility to a subordinate.

All of the unrestricted LTC issued by Adams in 2014 were renewals, not new licenses. Also, the most common restriction was 'Other' indicating that it could be anything including "All Lawful Purposes" or "Protection". These 'restrictions' are actually 'reasons' from the pre-1998 l9icensing scheme and are effectively unrestricted licenses.

So in other words, if they put SPORTING or HUNTING AND TARGET (as most of the crap towns do) this would show on the data you get? Or they just show as "restricted" as a generic class?

Worcester also used to use "Protection" a lot, but I'm not sure if they do any longer. If they still do, then those would also be considered restricted. (Even if they're not really)

-Mike

I went in for my renewal in Medford today. The licensing officer was friendly and very professional. I asked for Unrestricted with All Lawful Purpose as the reason. The officer asked me what I am currently doing with my license. I answered that "so far, target shooting and competition" since my license is restricted. He asked what I wanted to do with the renewal. I answered, "I'd like to conceal carry." He said that the chief only issues restricted for first time applicant but since this is a renewal, I'd have to write him a letter with my application. He then showed me a few sample letters from other application to read. Overall, the licensing officer was quite helpful. I emailed the letter today. We'll see in a few months what happens. Hoping for the best.

He then showed me a few sample letters from other application to read. Overall, the licensing officer was quite helpful. I emailed the letter today. We'll see in a few months what happens. Hoping for the best.

What did the example letters say?

He showed me two, one was a full page and the other just shy of a page. They both basically emphasized they know gun ownership is a serious matter and they're responsible individuals that take it seriously. One mentioned how he reads the manuals of all his firearms and field strips it so he can familiarize himself with all his guns. The other letter was from an ex-military so he understands the respect of gun ownership and understands responsibility. One listed the club he belongs to so he can practice in a safe manner.

My letter basically took the same form. I'm responsible, I learned and obey our gun laws, I belong to two clubs to practice my marksmanship, I take gun safety and marksmanship classes in the area to develop my skills so I can be a safe and responsible gun owner. I kept it short and concise, three paragraphs, thinking he's a busy guy and doesn't want to read an entire paper about it. I used responsible gun owner probably six times. LOL.

I went in for my renewal in Medford today. The licensing officer was friendly and very professional. I asked for Unrestricted with All Lawful Purpose as the reason. The officer asked me what I am currently doing with my license. I answered that "so far, target shooting and competition" since my license is restricted. He asked what I wanted to do with the renewal. I answered, "I'd like to conceal carry." He said that the chief only issues restricted for first time applicant but since this is a renewal, I'd have to write him a letter with my application. He then showed me a few sample letters from other application to read. Overall, the licensing officer was quite helpful. I emailed the letter today. We'll see in a few months what happens. Hoping for the best.

WTF?!

He showed me two, one was a full page and the other just shy of a page. They both basically emphasized they know gun ownership is a serious matter and they're responsible individuals that take it seriously. One mentioned how he reads the manuals of all his firearms and field strips it so he can familiarize himself with all his guns. The other letter was from an ex-military so he understands the respect of gun ownership and understands responsibility. One listed the club he belongs to so he can practice in a safe manner.

My letter basically took the same form. I'm responsible, I learned and obey our gun laws, I belong to two clubs to practice my marksmanship, I take gun safety and marksmanship classes in the area to develop my skills so I can be a safe and responsible gun owner. I kept it short and concise, three paragraphs, thinking he's a busy guy and doesn't want to read an entire paper about it. I used responsible gun owner probably six times. LOL.

Hmmm...setup for a failed request?? I know nothing about Medford PD, but that sounds like the type of stuff that most PD's would dismiss, and issue "Target & Hunting", etc. Thought most RED towns want handling cash, business owners.

So in other words, if they put SPORTING or HUNTING AND TARGET (as most of the crap towns do) this would show on the data you get? Or they just show as "restricted" as a generic class?

Worcester also used to use "Protection" a lot, but I'm not sure if they do any longer. If they still do, then those would also be considered restricted. (Even if they're not really)

-Mike
That's correct. We get the standard restrictions: Target & Hunting, Sporting, Employment, and None. We also get "Other" which is a black hole. It could be anything including "All Lawful Purposes", "Protection", "No Concealed Carry", "Daylight Hours Only", or "Weekdays Only". (I made some of those up, but wouldn't be surprised to see them on an LTC)

-Mike

Thanks Captain Obvious LOL

Went and took Basic Firearms safety today at BostonFirearms. Great class and left feeling pretty comfortable with a gun. I plan to apply right away for my LTC-A. He informed us that Revere is giving a 6 year restriction. My problem is I also have a residence in Everett. This city is green and on the 2014 report was 100% LTC.

My problem is I don't live there full time but my Vehicle license is out of there.Is it safe to apply in Everett as it's my mailing address but not where I rest my head every night? I don't want there to be any problems if I do this.

Thanks for any guidance as I plan to pick up an Application tonight and would like to get it from Everett if that's legal and all that.

Just picked up my ltc today in Hampden. Submitted the application November 5. Just over 16 weeks, but at least it came through with no restrictions. [mg]

Good luck! Please let us know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom