• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow, I don't think that in 2001, people were waiting two years for FID/LTC applications to be processed. Soooo....exactly what kind of requests was this person fulfilling?

Somehow, I don't think that in 2001, people were waiting two years for FID/LTC applications to be processed. Soooo....exactly what kind of requests was this person fulfilling?

I believe this last part is separate from the Firearms Unit work he did.

...ensured deadlines and benchmarks for automating confinement records at 16-open and eight-closed DMH operated inpatient facilities were being met.
Successfully reduced the response time to requests from two years to less than 14 days.

My Restricted A is expiring this August and I currently live in Medford. I'm going to reapply in Feb or March. Wondering if anyone has any recent accounts of Medford giving out Unrestricted?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about Medfield? I see it's green and the officer I talked to said they issue non restricted regardless what you you say IE if you want it for hunting they wont just restrict you to that. I did my fingerprints around December 16th and went in to talk to him around 1/10 to finalize the application. So not sure if its been 10 days or 20+. I was told a 3 months when I went in after my class on December 6th but some people here are claiming a lot shorter wait periods then that in different towns.

I'm hearing Weymouth has a new licensing officer and he's giving ltc-a without restrictions. Saw a post on Facebook where someone got the license in about 3 weeks.
Can Anyone confirm this ??

Correction to this. How early can you renew a license?(I did not mean reapply from a denial)

FRB will process 6 months prior to renewal date. HOWEVER:

- Some PDs will refuse to accept applications more than 1-2 months prior to expiration,
- Even if issued, new LTC does not go into affect until your birthday, so having it early is nice but doesn't change anything (restrictions) until that magic date.

Weymouth

I'm hearing Weymouth has a new licensing officer and he's giving ltc-a without restrictions. Saw a post on Facebook where someone got the license in about 3 weeks.
Can Anyone confirm this ??

Yes it is true made appointment for upgrade got unrestricted took 3-4 weeks

Friend walked into the Malden Police Station this morning (no appointment needed) and submitted all of her documentation for an LTC.
Was quoted 6-8 weeks, we'll see how long it actually takes though. I'm guessing 3-5 weeks.
I will update you when she hears back.

We just received a phone call from the Reading Police Department informing us that they are no longer a "red" town. They wanted MFS and everyone else to know that they made the decision 6 months ago to operate as a "green" town...meaning first time applicants should expect to receive an unrestricted license.

You have to give them credit that they felt strong enough about this to reach out to us directly.

Wow. I thought for Reading to go from red to green, they would have to change the name of the town....

Does anyone have experience with them lifting restrictions? I will post here when I learn more myself.

I'm looking move from Brookline and one of the towns that my wife and I are thinking about is Newton - I've heard it's no longer red and they'll issue ALP, but it's still red here and is in bold letters. Any info?

I've currently got a T&H LTC-A from Brookline. Thanks!

I'm looking move from Brookline and one of the towns that my wife and I are thinking about is Newton - I've heard it's no longer red and they'll issue ALP, but it's still red here and is in bold letters. Any info?

I've currently got a T&H LTC-A from Brookline. Thanks!

As of 2014, Newton was lifting restrictions upon request after 1 year. My guess is that they'll lift your restrictions when you renew.

As of 2014, Newton was lifting restrictions upon request after 1 year. My guess is that they'll lift your restrictions when you renew.

Thanks

Edit: Also, anyone have recent experience with Belmont? It's listed as red, but in the thread I see people getting ALP/NR.

Last edited:
Wow. I thought for Reading to go from red to green, they would have to change the name of the town.... Does anyone have experience with them lifting restrictions? I will post here when I learn more myself.

I spoke with Off. Martell last week about the abrupt change. They don't have the bandwidth to fight since the law change. It's just easier to issue unrestricted licenses than to potentially have the chief answer questions in court (like the Peabody chief) and look foolish when he can't give a good reason for restricting someone just because. I think they'd be open to lifting restrictions on someone who is squeaky clean and low risk.

I spoke with Off. Martell last week about the abrupt change. They don't have the bandwidth to fight since the law change. It's just easier to issue unrestricted licenses than to potentially have the chief answer questions in court (like the Peabody chief) and look foolish when he can't give a good reason for restricting someone just because. I think they'd be open to lifting restrictions on someone who is squeaky clean and low risk.

^^This. PDs are changing their tune very quickly on restrictions either on restrictions either because they've decided the law is against them or because they've decided it's just not worth fighting. This is the case in Peabody which has stopped restricting license. You can thank Comm2A for this. It is very clear that our suit against Weymouth and Peabody is having a riffle effect. And we're not done.

^^This. PDs are changing their tune very quickly on restrictions either on restrictions either because they've decided the law is against them or because they've decided it's just not worth fighting. This is the case in Peabody which has stopped restricting license. You can thank Comm2A for this. It is very clear that our suit against Weymouth and Peabody is having a riffle effect. And we're not done.

I can't say enough good things about what Comm2A does.

You folks are awesome!!

Yes, Reading is a direct result of the Peabody case and Comm2A. It will be interesting to see what happens in notoriously red towns like Brookline, Watertown and Cambridge.

Last edited:
Yes, Reading is a direct result of the Peabody case and Comm2A. It will be interesting to see what happens in notoriously red towns like Brookline, Watertown and Cambridge.

I'm so psyched about this and am glad my small monthly donation and amazon smile purchases can contribute to this! Keep on fighting for our rights! I'm gonna renew in Medford within the next month and hope to get No Restrictions as well. We'll see how it goes.

Seems like a bunch of towns are changes practices since the New Year. I got my license in Waltham in June. Restrict t&h... When it was issued I was told by the licensing Officer that after 2 years they were considering removing the restrictions. Anyone from Waltham know if they changed their mind recently? I will probably call them this week but maybe someone already knows the answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks

Edit: Also, anyone have recent experience with Belmont? It's listed as red, but in the thread I see people getting ALP/NR.

Just got my license in Belmont (Class A, NR). It was my first time applying.

I went in for fingerprinting a little after Thanksgiving, and the process could not have gone more smoothly. Taking into account Christmas/NYE, I'd say 6-8 weeks is a pretty good guess as to turnaround, with 6 being optimistic but realistic.

What is the consensus when it comes to Peabody? I had my class A issued in 2012 and would like to have the restrictions removed. Anyone know of their attitude has since changed since the comm2a case?

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk

Any thoughts on changing Braintree to red?

Bold Red May Issue and/or are difficult to obtain a "Class A" "All Lawful Purposes" usually give out restricted such as "Sport and Target"

Braintree absolutely meets this definition. You need 5 recommendation letters to even apply (where most towns don't require any). And the licensing officer specifically told me, "We do not accept general statements such as, 'all lawful purposes' or 'protection of life and property' for the LTC reason."

Despite the fact that some people do get unrestricted LTCs in Braintree, there's no ambiguity in that it's a difficult town to get it in.

Braintree absolutely meets this definition. You need 5 recommendation letters to even apply (where most towns don't require any). And the licensing officer specifically told me, "We do not accept general statements such as, 'all lawful purposes' or 'protection of life and property' for the LTC reason."

Despite the fact that some people do get unrestricted LTCs in Braintree, there's no ambiguity in that it's a difficult town to get it in.

Per Commonwealth Second Amendment:

LICENSES TO CARRY ISSUED 2012-2013

BRAINTREE
LTC-A unrestricted - 499
LTC-A restricted - 76
LTC-B unrestricted - 14
LTC-B unrestricted - 1
FID cards - 61
Total licenses - 651

I'm guessing that a large proportion of those 76 restricted LTC-A licenses were first time applicants, but I don't have any facts to back that up. If so, they might be in line for "red" but, as you can see, the overwhelming majority of the licenses issued are unrestricted

The color coding does not factor in "extra crap" that a PD requires. It only is a comment on whether you can get a License with "Restrictions: None"

Per Commonwealth Second Amendment:

LICENSES TO CARRY ISSUED 2012-2013

BRAINTREE
LTC-A unrestricted - 499
LTC-A restricted - 76
LTC-B unrestricted - 14
LTC-B unrestricted - 1
FID cards - 61
Total licenses - 651

I'm guessing that a large proportion of those 76 restricted LTC-A licenses were first time applicants, but I don't have any facts to back that up. If so, they might be in line for "red" but, as you can see, the overwhelming majority of the licenses issued are unrestricted

I'd bet it's mostly first time applicants who are concerned with that info to begin with. With some exceptions to people moving to very red towns, unrestricted renewals are probably easier to get.

The color coding does not factor in "extra crap" that a PD requires. It only is a comment on whether you can get a License with "Restrictions: None"

If that's the case, shouldn't it simply be based on the percentage of unrestricted LTCs that are issued? Instead of relying on what people on this board say, use the comm2a data and have a certain percentage be the cut off point. You can't argue with the numbers.

There's about 350 towns listed. There's only 55 that issue below 90% unrestricted LTCs (about 16% of towns) - with Braintree being one of them. Maybe all towns below 80% should be considered red?

http://www.comm2a.org/images/LTC_Town_Ranking.pdf

I'm just making the case because it's frustrating to see your town as orange. I don't like uncertainty [smile].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom