• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. I too get tired of stating that this is a problem and not made up, but many will believe only what they want to believe. [This is not to say that some PDs don't sit on the apps, because we also know this to be true, e.g. Everett and Dartmouth are just two extreme examples.]

Perhaps Mark056 will tell us how they handle scanning the prints, as that once upon a time was his job at MSP?

Is this just for the ink prints on new applications? My renewal is in process and I'm calling the status hotline once a week and writing down what they tell me the status is. It'll be interesting to see what appears to be the hold up based on that.

I'd like to know if my wife's application has even been submitted or not yet. It's been 6 weeks in Worcester already.

Last edited:
Wife just called the DCJIS, and they said "It is under review, so that means the PD still has the application." (I am not even sure what that means. Under review?)

So I can see this is going to be a long drawn out process...again. 6, almost 7 weeks into this, and the PD still has the app. Unless I am missing something.

Looks like it's time to start calling some reps.

Wife just called the DCJIS, and they said "It is under review, so that means the PD still has the application." (I am not even sure what that means. Under review?)

So I can see this is going to be a long drawn out process...again. 6, almost 7 weeks into this, and the PD still has the app. Unless I am missing something.

What that means is that the local PD is still working on your app and has not submitted it to FRB.

And yes, I know that my explanation is technically accurate but rather worthless, but the system is a black box with no visibility into what the local PD is doing. And the people who think that's just a flaw in the design are deluding themselves.

You cannot know what's going on because the local PD does not want you to know.

I'm going to call today around noon, I will post an update after that. Every time I call it's always been either under review, pending background checks or waiting on prints. I honestly think it depends who you talk to and what they want to say.

Is this just for the ink prints on new applications? My renewal is in process and I'm calling the status hotline once a week and writing down what they tell me the status is. It'll be interesting to see what appears to be the hold up based on that.

No, it was explained to me a few years ago. We do ink print set only once since 1998. They put an index number on it and file it at MSP. Every renewal, they send a clerk in to FIND (if mis-filed this will take some time) the card and RE-SCAN it in to the FBI. MSP isn't sophisticated enough to convert it to a PDF and Email it to the FBI. Mark056 did this many years ago as part of his job and would be more familiar with the process, but that is how I remember it being explained to me.

Read my Sticky on the process.

A physical application is no longer sent to the state at all. MIRCS "sends" a copy electronically. There are multiple "stop points" where someone (FRB, PD) is waiting for review/data/input to proceed to the next step. I interpret "under review" to be one of those "stop points".

Exactly correct. There is NO FEE for this. There is NO NEED to re-apply. There is NO formal (in court) appeal process for restriction removal either, it is totally at the discretion of your local chief/LO.

Thank you, I will keep everyone updated.

A physical application is no longer sent to the state at all. MIRCS "sends" a copy electronically. There are multiple "stop points" where someone (FRB, PD) is waiting for review/data/input to proceed to the next step. I interpret "under review" to be one of those "stop points".

Thank you for the info, I'll check it out.

No, it was explained to me a few years ago. We do ink print set only once since 1998. They put an index number on it and file it at MSP. Every renewal, they send a clerk in to FIND (if mis-filed this will take some time) the card and RE-SCAN it in to the FBI. MSP isn't sophisticated enough to convert it to a PDF and Email it to the FBI. Mark056 did this many years ago as part of his job and would be more familiar with the process, but that is how I remember it being explained to me.

Len, what you said was true when I did it. The reason for this at the time, was to ensure that all civil applicant prints were kept separate from criminal prints. I'll explain: if we got a batch of prints from a county jail they would be run against the criminal data base but not against the civil applicants. At the time it was done to protect your privacy and ensure that you civil prints were protected. I know you might say, why wasn't there a firewall? Well, that's a long, long story. Today, I understand that that process is no longer necessary and that everything is stored electronically and are propoerly firewalled and don't have to be rescanned every time. I also understand that prints are submitted electronically unless a department lacks that capability. I do know that back in the day, when all prints were submitted hard copy in the mail by the police departments, some towns would send us two or three months worth of prints at a time.

The MSP is currently updating to a new AFIS system. I don't know much about it, other than it is supposed to be state of the art.

I'd like to know if my wife's application has even been submitted or not yet. It's been 6 weeks in Worcester already.

I took the safety course at the Worcester PD in early February. The instructor told our class that Worcester residents applying for a new license should expect a 4-5 month wait time.

I do NOT believe that ALL PD's are sitting on apps.

I agree with LenS, and that in some extreme circumstances we KNOW that there are PD's that do exactly that. Sit on apps for months and months and months just because they can. Is that all PD's? Of course not. There is more then you would like to think though I bet.

It's the entire system that is broken. Not 1 person is to blame if you ask me. Everyone is to blame for it.

From the chiefs to their discretionary licensing, to towns & cities sitting on apps, to the state level dragging their feet. The list goes on and on.

For what its worth I spoke to a rep at goal today after calling to check on LTC status. Its been 6 weeks since interview, they said it was still being reviewed at local pd.
the rep from goal said once submitted to the state the approx. turnaround is 2-3 weeks., so seems that most of the delay is at the local level

- - - Updated - - -

I do NOT believe that ALL PD's are sitting on apps.

I agree with LenS, and that in some extreme circumstances we KNOW that there are PD's that do exactly that. Sit on apps for months and months and months just because they can. Is that all PD's? Of course not. There is more then you would like to think though I bet.

It's the entire system that is broken. Not 1 person is to blame if you ask me. Everyone is to blame for it.

From the chiefs to their discretionary licensing, to towns & cities sitting on apps, to the state level dragging their feet. The list goes on and on.

For what its worth I spoke to a rep at goal today after calling to check on LTC status. Its been 6 weeks since interview, they said it was still being reviewed at local pd.
the rep from goal said once submitted to the state the approx. turnaround is 2-3 weeks., so seems that most of the delay is at the local level

Being reviewed at the local PD means a lot of things, mostly waiting for the fingerprint check from the state police to come back, so while you say the delay is at the local level, it appears that way because your application stay in "local review" for the longest period of time, in reality what is taking the longest is the prints return, there is no option in MIRCS to make the status "waiting for prints return...

- - - Updated - - -

Submitted to the state only means to the FRB for activation, printing etc, which you are correct with the short turn around there,

Being reviewed at the local PD means a lot of things, mostly waiting for the fingerprint check from the state police to come back, so while you say the delay is at the local level, it appears that way because your application stay in "local review" for the longest period of time, in reality what is taking the longest is the prints return, there is no option in MIRCS to make the status "waiting for prints return...

- - - Updated - - -

Submitted to the state only means to the FRB for activation, printing etc, which you are correct with the short turn around there,

ahhh OK makes sense cuz they said "backround check" to be specific. I was told it would be aprox 8-12 weeks and I have to say they were great to deal with, just back logged I know it sucks but just the reality. I just thought it was strange that my app fee check has not been cashed yet.

ahhh OK makes sense cuz they said "backround check" to be specific. I was told it would be aprox 8-12 weeks and I have to say they were great to deal with, just back logged I know it sucks but just the reality. I just thought it was strange that my app fee check has not been cashed yet.

Timeline on check cashing is all town to town, but I hate it when my check isn't cashed right away, I HATE having them out there and not cashed

Timeline on check cashing is all town to town, but I hate it when my check isn't cashed right away, I HATE having them out there and not cashed

ya I hear.. so I'm thinking when it gets cashed it most likely will mean background check is cleared and the wheels are turning..

Just joined to post that I submitted my application on 4/15/13, and got the call to pick up my FID on 5/30/13. 45 days total. Don't mean to rub it in, just want to let others know its possible if your PD is doing their job.

Resident of Westport, Ma

Just joined to post that I submitted my application on 4/15/13, and got the call to pick up my FID on 5/30/13. 45 days total. Don't mean to rub it in, just want to let others know its possible if your PD is doing their job.

Resident of Westport, Ma

45 days is 5 days over the legal limit. Just sayin.

Congrats on your new LTC, and I hope it is ALP.

ya I hear.. so I'm thinking when it gets cashed it most likely will mean background check is cleared and the wheels are turning..

Nope, it doesn't mean anything. PDs do not "cash" checks. They turn them over to the City/Town Treasurer . . . and they might do it daily or monthly or even every 3 months, it's strictly a town thing. The Treasurer has no idea about the process of applicants, they merely put the money in the bank and account to the town and state (who gets $75 of that $100 check).

I am about to apply for a LTC Class A unrestricted in Everett. When I looked a few weeks ago at their website for instructions, it said the old "by appointment only, call this number and we'll get back to you", but I noticed last Friday that the site has been revamped and they now accept on a first come first serve basis, on the first and third Monday of the month between 5PM and 8PM, applications for firearms licenses without appointment. Does anyone have any details on this? It seems to be a step in the right direction. But of course it could just be throwing us a bone. I'm wondering if I should submit now or wait until I hear feedback on some recent applicants given the recent Grover vs. Mazzie win. Also, has anyone used their state rep or senator as a reference? I may be able to get a recommendation from one of them, do you think this would have more weight than average joe recommendation?

Firearms Licensing

So yesterday (June 3rd, 2013) I went to the Everett MA police station at 5:15PM to apply for an LTC in conformance to the policy posted on their website here which states on the first and third Monday of each month, a requestor can apply for a firearms permit on a first come first serve basis between the hours of 5PM and 8PM. I had all requisite paperwork ready: letter to chief, two letters of recommendation, firearms safety course certificate, check for $100, and my MA state drivers license. I was told by the desk officer that they do not accept walk-in applications at any time, they had never heard of such a policy and had no knowledge of the policy as stated on their own website. I was told that in order to apply for an LTC I had to call a particular Sergeant who will not be in until June 6th, 2013. At this point I am not sure whether or not this is the start of the runaround or not. I will call back on Thursday and see what happens I guess. If this is the start of the runaround, I am determined to fight it. Any other Everett LTC applicants or recent licensees feedback would be appreciated. Regardless, it appears that their website, which has just recently been updated with their revised policy based I assume on losing their last legal battle in January, is either a mistake or deliberately misleading.

Last edited:
So yesterday (June 3rd, 2013) I went to the Everett MA police station at 5:15PM to apply for an LTC in conformance to the policy posted on their website here which states on the first and third Monday of each month, a requestor can apply for a firearms permit on a first come first serve basis between the hours of 5PM and 8PM. I had all requisite paperwork ready: letter to chief, two letters of recommendation, firearms safety course certificate, check for $100, and my MA state drivers license. I was told by the desk officer that they do not accept walk-in applications at any time, they had never heard of such a policy and had no knowledge of the policy as stated on their own website. I was told that in order to apply for an LTC I had to call a particular Sergeant who will not be in until June 6th, 2013. At this point I am not sure whether or not this is the start of the runaround or not. I will call back on Thursday and see what happens I guess. If this is the start of the runaround, I am determined to fight it. Any other Everett LTC applicants or recent licensees feedback would be appreciated. Regardless, it appears that their website, which has just recently been updated with their revised policy based I assume on losing their last legal battle in January, is either a mistake or deliberately misleading.

Prepare for the runaround, there are members here that have waited for over a year for their LTC

FID is shall issue, you should not have to write a letter to the chief stating why you need one. It would appear that the requirements are the same for an FID and a LTC. Does GOAL know about this? Also a wait of six to eight weeks is in excess of the legal 40 days. Seems to me that they are stating up front that they are not complying with the law.

From what ive gotten and going in again to see the licensing officer this week "hopefully" when I first met him in Brockton he said putting ALP was fine to put down and I do know of quite few people lately getting class A unrestricted out here and few whom have had a 2 year probation period guess you can say and cant carry and 3 of them actually just in last few weeks did there 2 years clean and the Chief has lifted the restriction... Soon as I fully submit paperwork and see the officer ill keep update.

My girlfriend and I took our safety course at MFS at the tail end of February, procrastinated a bit called Bellingham PD Monday 3/18 left a voicemail for the LO, he called back within an hour and had appts set up for us thursday 3/21. I had no idea what to expect, kinda felt like we were doing something wrong by even applying for a LTC and thought maybe we'd be in for a big interrogation. Sergeant Lemon was awesome to deal with. He was genuinely friendly and polite, we made small talk the whole time about this and that. He's about as pro 2A as it gets which is awesome. I asked if they'd gotten a spike in application since Newtown, he said yes it's been crazy, he's doing 10 apps a day sometimes. I'm not sure if that's a lot but it's a hell of a lot more than I would have guessed. Whole process was quick (relatively speaking) and painless.

Anyway tomorrow will be 5 weeks and haven't heard anything yet, he said it usually takes 5 or 6 weeks. I didn't ask about restrictions but I'm crossing my fingers. Will update.

So just wanted to give an update feels like I posted this a lifetime ago. After 6 weeks called the number given on this thread, was told app was in the background check stage and the whole thing usually takes no more than 8 weeks. After 8 weeks called back and was told it was being held up at the local level and would be 2 weeks once they got the info back. Got the call yesterday (june 5th, applied march 21) that our ltcs were ready to be picked up. Class A - Alp. Aside from the 76 day wait it was a simple and painless process. All involved were very helpful. Bellingham still green.

I applied January 31st in Westford. Very professional and curteous experience. LTC-A unrestricted took 12 weeks to arrive.

Hedgehog - jim

I called up today to speak with the sergeant in charge of LTC's and was told that he would not be in on the 6th, but instead would be in on the 8th. I guess I'll call back on the 8th. Still don't know if I'm getting the run around yet, but if this sergeant is not available on the 8th then I'll have a pretty good indication.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom