• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to apply for a LTC Class A unrestricted in Everett. When I looked a few weeks ago at their website for instructions, it said the old "by appointment only, call this number and we'll get back to you", but I noticed last Friday that the site has been revamped and they now accept on a first come first serve basis, on the first and third Monday of the month between 5PM and 8PM, applications for firearms licenses without appointment. Does anyone have any details on this? It seems to be a step in the right direction. But of course it could just be throwing us a bone. I'm wondering if I should submit now or wait until I hear feedback on some recent applicants given the recent Grover vs. Mazzie win. Also, has anyone used their state rep or senator as a reference? I may be able to get a recommendation from one of them, do you think this would have more weight than average joe recommendation?

Firearms Licensing
I believe that Chief Mazzie was sincere in wanting to address the problems that let to all the unwanted publicity. Apply for your license, try to get an estimate on how long it will take and then email us at [email protected] if you don't have it in 40 days.

I am about to apply for a LTC Class A unrestricted in Everett. When I looked a few weeks ago at their website for instructions, it said the old "by appointment only, call this number and we'll get back to you", but I noticed last Friday that the site has been revamped and they now accept on a first come first serve basis, on the first and third Monday of the month between 5PM and 8PM, applications for firearms licenses without appointment. Does anyone have any details on this? It seems to be a step in the right direction. But of course it could just be throwing us a bone. I'm wondering if I should submit now or wait until I hear feedback on some recent applicants given the recent Grover vs. Mazzie win. Also, has anyone used their state rep or senator as a reference? I may be able to get a recommendation from one of them, do you think this would have more weight than average joe recommendation?

http://everettpolicema.com/ltc_fid_information.htm

At least they dont make you skip work... Unless you work 2nd shift

That is a really good question. Welcome to MA.
In terms of NFA, the ATF allows you store them in a safe deposit box somewhere they are allowed if you move from an allowed state to a prohibited one. I presume (but do not know if) they would also approve such a 5320 to place them in a safe deposit box in a "free state"? They don't speak specifically to this case of changing town and losing your ability to store on a state-wide basis based on the town.

MA is somewhat unique in this regard because of issuing machine gun licenses as well as having a license merely to possess a firearm.

If you even think this might happen and can't stop the move, I'd call comm2a, ASAP.

It seems entirely possible that you would be able to make arrangements for storage, but that might require time and disposition BEFORE your licenses are expired. In the case of NFA, you'd need to do a 5320 to a free-state which can take 4-8 weeks (more depending on the time of year). If you are forced to transfer to family or trust, then it can be many months for a form 4 to complete.

Update Framingham: Submitted application with its many hoops to jump through on April 25th. I was told to come back May 9th, yesterday, for prints and photo. Arrived at FPD around 9:30am, I was out of there by 10:15. There was about 6 applicants in front of me but the line moved quickly. The cop taking the photo and prints was very nice, helpful and enthusiastic, I wish I had gotten his name. Plain clothes with a golf shirt that indicated he was a CSI. As he was handing back my app and my prints card to take back to the records dept, he said I'd get a call in 4-5 weeks which made me giddy with excitement, however when I handed my stuff back to the woman in the records dept she said expect a call in 8-12 weeks! I'm guessing the records dept lady was probably more accurate. We'll see. Out.

Update Framingham: Submitted application with its many hoops to jump through on April 25th. I was told to come back May 9th, yesterday, for prints and photo. Arrived at FPD around 9:30am, I was out of there by 10:15. There was about 6 applicants in front of me but the line moved quickly. The cop taking the photo and prints was very nice, helpful and enthusiastic, I wish I had gotten his name. Plain clothes with a golf shirt that indicated he was a CSI. As he was handing back my app and my prints card to take back to the records dept, he said I'd get a call in 4-5 weeks which made me giddy with excitement, however when I handed my stuff back to the woman in the records dept she said expect a call in 8-12 weeks! I'm guessing the records dept lady was probably more accurate. We'll see. Out.

Wait, you were "giddy" about 4-5 weeks???????????

As I read the story, I thought you were going to say you walked out with it in your hand. Really.

This state sucks.

"What you tolerate, you validate. What you put up with, you DESERVE!"

~ Scrivener

Yeah, 4-5 weeks. [puke]

Yeah, 12 weeks. [puke]

So much for issuing licenses in 40 days, huh? [puke]

My wife is still waiting for hers...[puke]

Last edited:
"Wait, you were "giddy" about 4-5 weeks???????????"

Yes, 4-5 weeks made me excited. Do some math with me. Applied 4/25, prints and photo 5/9. Two weeks or 14 days have passed. Five weeks = 35 days. Thirty-five days plus 14 days equal 49 days, only 9 days over the legal limit. After reading and hearing about all the horror stories in this very forum, I thought 49 days was damn good. Thanks for trying to piss in my corn flakes but it's not working. If I get my LTC in 49 days, start to finish, from the Town of Framingham I will not only be very surprised, I will indeed be giddy with excitement. Happy Mother's Day.

"Wait, you were "giddy" about 4-5 weeks???????????"

Yes, 4-5 weeks made me excited. Do some math with me. Applied 4/25, prints and photo 5/9. Two weeks or 14 days have passed. Five weeks = 35 days. Thirty-five days plus 14 days equal 49 days, only 9 days over the legal limit. After reading and hearing about all the horror stories in this very forum, I thought 49 days was damn good. Thanks for trying to piss in my corn flakes but it's not working. If I get my LTC in 49 days, start to finish, from the Town of Framingham I will not only be very surprised, I will indeed be giddy with excitement. Happy Mother's Day.

I think you missed his point...

As far as 'm concerned, Littleton is a RED town. After 16 weeks, I was informed by my local PD that the "shall issue" FID was fully-approved and instructed to come pick it up at the station. Later that day, I went to the station to pick up the FID, at which time I was shown my FID through the glass and asked to sign a register to acknowledge its acceptance, which I did. I was then presented with additional documents, one being a notice informing me of the federal law prohibiting certain individual from possessing firearms, which I declined to sign since the federal disability doesn't apply to me. I asked for a copy of the documents so I could review them with an attorney, but the officer said he couldn't provide me with a copy. I was told by the officer that he could not release the FID unless I signed the documents. I'm sure most people sign whatever is put in front of them, especially after 16 weeks of waiting, but I read the law and I'm not one to allow my rights to be violated.

Since it was obvious I wasn’t going to comply, the officer asked me to place a line through my name and signature on the register, which I did, and then quietly left the station without the FID.

It’s my understanding that under GL 140 Section 129B, the licensing authority may not prescribe any other condition for the issuance of a firearm identification card. If denied an FID, I’d have the right to an appeal, however as I’m not statutorily disqualified, the FID was approved for issuance by the colonel of the state police. According to the Firearms Records Bureau, the FID was activated on April 18, 2013 and returned to my local PD. The PD is in violation of the law, but what recourse does a private citizen such as myself have? I sent a letter to the Chief and the licensing authority requesting release of the FID, but they ignored it. How do I get the police to comply with the law and release the FID without imposing additional conditions?

As far as 'm concerned, Littleton is a RED town. After 16 weeks, I was informed by my local PD that the "shall issue" FID was fully-approved and instructed to come pick it up at the station. Later that day, I went to the station to pick up the FID, at which time I was shown my FID through the glass and asked to sign a register to acknowledge its acceptance, which I did. I was then presented with additional documents, one being a notice informing me of the federal law prohibiting certain individual from possessing firearms, which I declined to sign since the federal disability doesn't apply to me. I asked for a copy of the documents so I could review them with an attorney, but the officer said he couldn't provide me with a copy. I was told by the officer that he could not release the FID unless I signed the documents. I'm sure most people sign whatever is put in front of them, especially after 16 weeks of waiting, but I read the law and I'm not one to allow my rights to be violated.

Since it was obvious I wasn’t going to comply, the officer asked me to place a line through my name and signature on the register, which I did, and then quietly left the station without the FID.

It’s my understanding that under GL 140 Section 129B, the licensing authority may not prescribe any other condition for the issuance of a firearm identification card. If denied an FID, I’d have the right to an appeal, however as I’m not statutorily disqualified, the FID was approved for issuance by the colonel of the state police. According to the Firearms Records Bureau, the FID was activated on April 18, 2013 and returned to my local PD. The PD is in violation of the law, but what recourse does a private citizen such as myself have? I sent a letter to the Chief and the licensing authority requesting release of the FID, but they ignored it. How do I get the police to comply with the law and release the FID without imposing additional conditions?

Call Comm2A.

I called the station and had a nice conversation with the Chief. As a result, I received the FID without the imposition of any additional conditions. [smile]

The FID met my need, so that's what I applied for. Thanks.

I hope you don't change your mind and expand your interests over the next 6 years or you will learn that it was an expensive mistake. And when you find that some stores won't sell you certain ammo, claiming that it "could be used in a handgun", it might also lead to some regrets on your part.

Barring any "suitability" (or prior convictions for certain crimes) issues, the process, time, and cost for both LTC and FID is the same.

In any case, welcome!

I hope you don't change your mind and expand your interests over the next 6 years or you will learn that it was an expensive mistake. And when you find that some stores won't sell you certain ammo, claiming that it "could be used in a handgun", it might also lead to some regrets on your part.

Barring any "suitability" (or prior convictions for certain crimes) issues, the process, time, and cost for both LTC and FID is the same.

In any case, welcome!

That's what I was saying in a way. All very good points.

One of my friends went to Rutland 2 weeks ago to do his finger printing, etc. Let's see if they hold to the 40 day law.

My wife & him went in at the exact same time. Him to Rutland, my wife to Worcester. He was told a couple of weeks, my wife was told 12. [rolleyes]

Rutland is listed in green, and he's served in the military for like 10 years, so I will report back when he gets licensed.

Last edited:
I've heard that Medford is still a red town + their application process now requires an appointment!!!!! For an application?!?! [rolleyes]

My gf told me yesterday that she wants to take the course and get her LTC. Music to my ears. Now only if her town were green. Ugh, now she has to use work as an excuse to exercise her 2A right. Awesome. All because she doesn't feel safe closing as a retail manager late at night in a bad area. How do these "chiefs" sleep at night?

I've heard that Medford is still a red town + their application process now requires an appointment!!!!! For an application?!?! [rolleyes]

My gf told me yesterday that she wants to take the course and get her LTC. Music to my ears. Now only if her town were green. Ugh, now she has to use work as an excuse to exercise her 2A right. Awesome. All because she doesn't feel safe closing as a retail manager late at night in a bad area. How do these "chiefs" sleep at night?

I think I read on here that some towns require the business owner sign a letter documenting the business need, too. I hope they're ok with it, if she doesn't own the joint.

In any case, welcome!

eh, 100 bucks to get the LTC on top of that FID. While I personally wouldnt be thrilled to pay another 100 to expand what I can do/own, to some it isnt so expensive....

- - - Updated - - -

In any case, welcome!

eh, 100 bucks to get the LTC on top of that FID. While I personally wouldnt be thrilled to pay another 100 to expand what I can do/own, to some it isnt so expensive....

Went for a renewal in Marblehead 2 weeks ago. They are very green.

- - - Updated - - -

Went for a renewal in Marblehead 2 weeks ago. They are very green.

Got a friend who's been waiting four months out of Weymoth. Told him to call the number from the other thread. And he was told the station hasn't even processed it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom