• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wakefield Ma is green as green can get.

Submit application
Go to PD for fingerprints and photos (every tuesday from 8-12)
No interview
Class A Restrictions: None

- - - Updated - - -

Wakefield Ma is green as green can get.

Submit application
Go to PD for fingerprints and photos (every tuesday from 8-12)
No interview
Class A Restrictions: None

How long did it take for the whole process?
I just was printed and photographed today in Wakefield. Incredibly easy, no interview at all. I was told up front that I can expect it to take 12-14 weeks before he will see my license.

It seems there are a lot of cities & towns spouting off about a 12+ week wait.

Is the state backlogged with new LTC's, renewals, etc? Do they not have to comply to the 40 days when they are backlogged?

he told me that they are backlogged with both new applicants, and renewals. He also told me about the 40 day requirement, but laughed and said that pressing them about that likely wouldnt end well

he told me that they are backlogged with both new applicants, as well as renewals. He also told me about the 40 day requirement, but laughed and said that pressing them about that likely wouldnt end well

So he is pretty much saying that if you called on the 45th day looking for your LTC, that they would what? Push it back to the last in the pile?

That's great. That's just ****ing great.

The whole "Backed up at state" line is NONSENSE. Gloucester is pushing them out in 30 days or less. It's police stations sitting on applications. Period.

The whole "Backed up at state" line is NONSENSE. Gloucester is pushing them out in 30 days or less. It's police stations sitting on applications. Period.

Absolute bullshit. They're not afraid of anyone that's why. They know they can do whatever they want, infringe someone's rights, and no one will do anything. Drag their feet to process an LTC, and no one will do anything.

Absolute bullshit. They're not afraid of anyone that's why. They know they can do whatever they want, infringe someone's rights, and no one will do anything. Drag their feet to process an LTC, and no one will do anything.

Honestly, other than having other politicrats apply pressure to the PD to do their job, there really isn't anything that a mere mortal can do . . . but this works most of the time.

On a large-scale basis, Comm2A is suing to right these wrongs, but that is a very complicated and lengthy process that needs just the right plaintiffs in order to succeed.

Just got an email from one of my students that lives in Dracut. He was told that appointments for a new LTC are a minimum of 90 days or more and that renewals are taking top priority. When does this $hit stop?

Get legislation passed that says that if the applicant is not disqualified by the 40th day, the license is granted. If they need more than 40 days to find out if someone is a crook or is crazy, they're not doing it right!

Get legislation passed that says that if the applicant is not disqualified by the 40th day, the license is granted. If they need more than 40 days to find out if someone is a crook or is crazy, they're not doing it right!
Don't I wish... Applied March 8, fingerprinted 3/28, still waiting....

Honestly, other than having other politicrats apply pressure to the PD to do their job, there really isn't anything that a mere mortal can do . . . but this works most of the time.

On a large-scale basis, Comm2A is suing to right these wrongs, but that is a very complicated and lengthy process that needs just the right plaintiffs in order to succeed.

Oh I know, still aggravating none the less.

Just got an email from one of my students that lives in Dracut. He was told that appointments for a new LTC are a minimum of 90 days or more and that renewals are taking top priority. When does this $hit stop?

I'd like to know as well...

Yup.

It should be mandatory that if PD's are sitting on apps for longer than 40 days, that person gets licensed. Period. We know there are cities (Everett) purposely sitting on applications because they can.

from what I read, the officer in charge of licensing in Wakefield is very pro 2nd amendment, he doesnt give a lick of hassle when you go in for printing. Its just drop your application 5 days before Tuesday, come in and get a picture and prints, no questions asked. Couple that with the fact that a good friend of mine knows him very well, and is listed as one of my references, and I cant imagine why he would purposefully be dragging his feet to just make it take longer?

I have to wonder if perhaps in most cases that its the state thats actually making things harder by not actually receiving in the applications, and just sitting on them? I wouldnt be surprised, the AG goes out of her way to make everything else about guns suck in this lovely state!

Here's my experience:

1/28 - Took safety course
3/7 - Doctors note and other cursory bs acquired and emailed for an appointment
3/8 - Received appointment for 3/13
3/13 - Applied
5/6 - Called FRB for status update, pending local PD approval, emailed local PD for status
5/8 - Local PD replied waiting on fingerprint check from state police
5/23 - Called FRB for status again - they said approved and printed on 5/21
5/24 - Received voice mail from local PD, LTC ready to pick up
5/25 - LTC-A Target & Hunting in hand

Time from application to receipt 73 days

Last edited:
I called to set up an appointment for Dedham back in January and had to wait until May 9th for the appointment to drop off my application. Upon arriving there, they couldn't process my application because I had previously submitted a portion of one in another town before moving unexpectedly. I didn't realize I needed to call and cancel the first application. The person trying to process my new application tried to get them on the phone immediately but wasn't able to. She said that she would call me as soon as she heard from them about the cancellation but still no luck. Once this gets straightened out, I still have to go in to have an interview with the Chief about the need for an LTC. After that I'm sure I'll have to wait until December before I heard anything back.
Why must this process be so ridiculous?

Attleboro - Class A LTC - Restrictions "Hunting Only".

I called to seek clarification on this restriction as it technically means I can't even bring it to the range and the officer, whom was very nice said so you don't want any restrictions? I said correct, long story short he told me I should have put "All Lawful Purposes" on line 13, I didn't tell him but the LO that interviewed me explicitly said he would not accept that as an answer. The officer I spoke to said you should always put that because they default to whichever you request.

He then stated I could appeal the restriction or start the process all over again. I left a voicemail with the new LO to discuss and see what he recommends. I truly would not want to go through the process again as it took 16 weeks to get my worthless permit. :/ it is extremely aggravating to have to navigate through all this bureaucracy bull. I swear they do this to weed out whom truly wants a permit and who doesn't. I don't want to appeal it as it will cost $100 and I don't want to upset anyone, but if I go through the process again it will cost $100 and take months. :(

I called to set up an appointment for Dedham back in January and had to wait until May 9th for the appointment to drop off my application. Upon arriving there, they couldn't process my application because I had previously submitted a portion of one in another town before moving unexpectedly. I didn't realize I needed to call and cancel the first application. The person trying to process my new application tried to get them on the phone immediately but wasn't able to. She said that she would call me as soon as she heard from them about the cancellation but still no luck. Once this gets straightened out, I still have to go in to have an interview with the Chief about the need for an LTC. After that I'm sure I'll have to wait until December before I heard anything back.
Why must this process be so ridiculous?

Situation sucks, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. The process in Dedham was fairly seamless and the Chief was great.

Attleboro - Class A LTC - Restrictions "Hunting Only".

I called to seek clarification on this restriction as it technically means I can't even bring it to the range and the officer, whom was very nice said so you don't want any restrictions? I said correct, long story short he told me I should have put "All Lawful Purposes" on line 13, I didn't tell him but the LO that interviewed me explicitly said he would not accept that as an answer. The officer I spoke to said you should always put that because they default to whichever you request.

He then stated I could appeal the restriction or start the process all over again. I left a voicemail with the new LO to discuss and see what he recommends. I truly would not want to go through the process again as it took 16 weeks to get my worthless permit. :/ it is extremely aggravating to have to navigate through all this bureaucracy bull. I swear they do this to weed out whom truly wants a permit and who doesn't. I don't want to appeal it as it will cost $100 and I don't want to upset anyone, but if I go through the process again it will cost $100 and take months. :(

All they have to do is log into MIRCS (or whatever it's called) and change your LTC to Restrictions: NONE. They don't need to do anything else besides that. It literally takes 2 seconds. Then, DCJIS will print a new LTC and mail it to the PD or to you.

If they are willing to change it, which some cities will not, that's all that is needed.

Last edited:
All they have to do is log into MIRCS (or whatever it's called) and change your LTC to Restrictions: NONE. They don't need to do anything else besides that. It literally takes 2 seconds. Then, DCJIS will print a new LTC and mail it to the PD or to you.

If they are willing to change it, which some cities will not, that's all that is needed.

Thank you, the officer I spoke with on the phone was extremely nice and I will meet with the LO and 'ask' if they are able to do that. It makes sense since the restrictions are on their end not the states... Has anyone else dealt with this before and if so how did it work out?

Thank you, the officer I spoke with on the phone was extremely nice and I will meet with the LO and 'ask' if they are able to do that. It makes sense since the restrictions are on their end not the states... Has anyone else dealt with this before and if so how did it work out?

There are some people on this site who recently got their restrictions lifted. Someone in Worcester, and someone else in Western MA, I think.

It is possible, but not all chiefs are willing to do it.

Good luck, and make sure and post back with what happened.

prints at the the state level is the hold up. and the SP just posted they are hiring 3 more people for the purpose of running prints. why some can "pump them out" and others can't is a mystery but not all pd's are to blame. it is foolish and tiring statement. lots of missinformation floating around. you guys have member who an actual LO for his town telling you guys the same thing but many people out there want to stick with the falsehood that its all the local pd's fault.

Exactly correct. There is NO FEE for this. There is NO NEED to re-apply. There is NO formal (in court) appeal process for restriction removal either, it is totally at the discretion of your local chief/LO.

Good luck.

prints at the the state level is the hold up. and the SP just posted they are hiring 3 more people for the purpose of running prints. why some can "pump them out" and others can't is a mystery but not all pd's are to blame. it is foolish and tiring statement. lots of missinformation floating around. you guys have member who an actual LO for his town telling you guys the same thing but many people out there want to stick with the falsehood that its all the local pd's fault.

Correct. I too get tired of stating that this is a problem and not made up, but many will believe only what they want to believe. [This is not to say that some PDs don't sit on the apps, because we also know this to be true, e.g. Everett and Dartmouth are just two extreme examples.]

Perhaps Mark056 will tell us how they handle scanning the prints, as that once upon a time was his job at MSP?

I do NOT believe that ALL PD's are sitting on apps.

I agree with LenS, and that in some extreme circumstances we KNOW that there are PD's that do exactly that. Sit on apps for months and months and months just because they can. Is that all PD's? Of course not. There is more then you would like to think though I bet.

It's the entire system that is broken. Not 1 person is to blame if you ask me. Everyone is to blame for it.

From the chiefs to their discretionary licensing, to towns & cities sitting on apps, to the state level dragging their feet. The list goes on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom