Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Framingham -- It's been 9 weeks as of today. I phoned the Dept. of Criminal Justice yesterday to check the status. "They are still working on the background check". I've never been in trouble in my life. I think I got a speeding ticket as a teenager like, 35 years ago. My "background" is clean as a whistle, wtf is it? Is it just a backlog of apps? Is the woman at DCJ just programmed to tell everyone who calls the same thing? I've been very patient, but it's wearing thin. I know if I stir the pot at the FPD, they'll just say "Thanks for playing" and deny me. This hardly seems fair.
All applicants, new or renewal have to have their fingerprints checked by the MSP AFIS lab for criminal history, this is what most people refer to as "doing the back ground" MSP is currently at 2-3 months to return most prints to the requesting departments. MSP's work load DOUBLED starting in January with the same number of staff, I'm not making excuses, just letting you know what's going on...

All applicants, new or renewal have to have their fingerprints checked by the MSP AFIS lab for criminal history, this is what most people refer to as "doing the back ground" MSP is currently at 2-3 months to return most prints to the requesting departments. MSP's work load DOUBLED starting in January with the same number of staff, I'm not making excuses, just letting you know what's going on...

yeah, definitely isnt an excuse, when all of a sudden you can have someone run out of their grace period and become a de facto criminal because of the state's inability to assess and handle workload. Freaking ridiculous. And the kicker, for me at least, is that if that 40 days law that has no teeth, had some teeth, you would have PDs calling in requesting them to hurry the **** up or its their ass on the line. But when its joe schmoe, its hurry up and wait. Reminders as to who works for who need to be given!!

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, definitely isnt an excuse, when all of a sudden you can have someone run out of their grace period and become a de facto criminal because of the state's inability to assess and handle workload. Freaking ridiculous. And the kicker, for me at least, is that if that 40 days law that has no teeth, had some teeth, you would have PDs calling in requesting them to hurry the **** up or its their ass on the line. But when its joe schmoe, its hurry up and wait. Reminders as to who works for who need to be given!!

Well, it isn't that simple. You just don't go out and hire Identification Technicians. You have to recruit, have them go through the hiring process and then train them. Plus there is all the criminal work. It's not like it is the MSP's fault that their whole system has been overloaded you know. For the record, I posted the last Identification Technician position open here on NES recently. Did you know that? Did you encourage any of your friends apply? Did you apply?

There will be more openings supposedly this fall. It takes time to respond. Much easier to be flippant and shoot from the hip, I suppose...at least you must think so. Once again, you don't understand the process or the system and apparently are unwilling, or incapable of trying to bring meaningful change and reform, much easier to complain on the internet about it, right?

Last edited:
Well, it isn't that simple. You just don't go out and hire Identification Technicians. You have to recruit, have them go through the hiring process and then train them. Plus there is all the criminal work. It's not like it is the MSP's fault that their whole system has been overloaded you know. For the record, I posted the last Identification Technician position open here on NES recently. Did you know that? Did you encourage any of your friends apply? Did you apply?

There will be more openings supposedly this fall. It takes time to respond. Much easier to be flippant and shoot from the hip, I suppose...at least you must think so. Once again, you don't understand the process or the system and apparently are unwilling, or incapable of trying to bring meaningful change and reform, much easier to complain on the internet about it, right?
Well said,

thank you,

+1

It was the way you posited the question. If I had said Chelsea, you would have made some cute remark as to why would anyone work there.

Unfortunately you know my game and I know yours. It takes one to know one [wink]. If it wasn't a set up question you probably would have said: "where is the identification section located?" Something you could easily find out via Google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received my renewal after a long, arduous four and a half week (32 day) wait. Submission to in-hand. And no, I don't "know" anyone. Explain that. [hmmm]

I just received my renewal after a long, arduous four and a half week (32 day) wait. Submission to in-hand. And no, I don't "know" anyone. Explain that. [hmmm]
As I said in my OP, I'm not making excuses, I'm just relaying information and providing the average time. I'm glad you got yours so quickly, I wish they could all be that way.

Norwood for me was "orange"

I was told I'd get restricted unless I otherwise gave a need. I put some coins on the table along with my business card and the interview was just two guys BS'ing about life after that. It took me a while to not feel like a criminal while holding guns in this state. Maybe this is the year we repeal all the nonsense laws....

- - - Updated - - -

That was LTC-A, BTW

FYI

Leverett is green.
The application process if online (no paper application) and they issue unrestricted class A licenses (as of today and according to their Chief).
No supplemental requirements or fees.

I was told I'd get restricted unless I otherwise gave a need. I put some coins on the table along with my business card and the interview was just two guys BS'ing about life after that. It took me a while to not feel like a criminal while holding guns in this state. Maybe this is the year we repeal all the nonsense laws....

- - - Updated - - -

That was LTC-A, BTW

I just went in for my renewal of a Class A LTC unrestricted in Norwood. It was issued by a different town and when I called to schedule the appointment I asked if he wanted a reason letter (as they require one on the app). The officer said "no need for that, if you want to you can but we are not going to put a restriction on you if you already have unrestricted." My appointment was a week later and it was pretty good as we just talked kids and vacations and he chose "no restrictions" on the program in MERCS (?). I am not any never have been an LEO or military so I think it went pretty well. At least for renewals it looks green.

My son applied for his FID on 4/10/2013 and it was ready to pick up on 7/2/2013. 12 weeks.

BTW, I applied for my renewal on the same day. supposedly the MSP 'lost' the request for my background check. According to my town they have an email chain showing they sent it in with everyone else's. I requested the email chain and have not received it. I will be filing a 'formal' request on Tuesday relating to my processing and the records they keep of it. Not yet sure how to do this however, so any help would be appreciated.

Is there a separate thread for Brookline? I have some questions, but don't want to put them in this thread if there is a better thread for them.

Thanks.

Is there a separate thread for Brookline? I have some questions, but don't want to put them in this thread if there is a better thread for them.

Thanks.

Shoot me an Email or call. I know a bit about Brookline and what they require for LTC.

Anybody been through the LTC process in Belmont lately? I looked, and the latest experience posted here is a year old. They're listed as red, but some of what I found here indicates that some people have been getting LTC-A/NR in Belmont, with no real indication as to what might prompt the local licensing officer to issue NR versus restricted. Is Belmont tending towards issuing NR these days? (Hope Newtown hasn't served as a motivator for them to tighten things up.)

Any suggestions on how best to maximize my chances of getting unrestricted? Would hiring a lawyer help? Best way to phrase a letter to the Chief of Police? Belmont also requires two reference letters; what should those reference letters say?

FWIW, I'm in my mid-40s, with no criminal or psych history, I'm so clean that my last moving traffic violation was over 20 years ago.

Hi, all.

I'm in the process of applying for my LTC Class A in Dartmouth. Any recent info as to the process in this town and how smooth it went?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, all.

I'm in the process of applying for my LTC Class A in Dartmouth. Any recent info as to the process in this town and how smooth it went?

Thanks!

Hi, all.

Thanks

I don't have any recent info, but I got my license in dartmouth in 2009. Assuming it's the same person, it should be easy. I don't think they even asked what type of license I wanted and just assumed class A. It did take a bit to get the license....I think like 8+ weeks.

I don't have any recent info, but I got my license in dartmouth in 2009. Assuming it's the same person, it should be easy. I don't think they even asked what type of license I wanted and just assumed class A. It did take a bit to get the license....I think like 8+ weeks.

Thanks for the info. I called yesterday and got my appointment with them for the end of July, so not bad. I'm guessing there will be a wait, but mainly because of the state processing them slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom