Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend got her LTC-A Unrestricted recently'ish in Lexington...

January 18, 2013 - dropped off application, prints, photo, phone interview

I finally dropped off my LTC this morning; they only require the $100 fee now (no separate town fee). They also did my prints and photograph, and all in all it will take about 6 weeks to do background check stuff. The Lt. Detective will also call me to do a phone interview the next few days.

So I just had the interview already - 5 min of the Lt. Detective asking me if I had ever been arrested in or out of state, or ever been summonsed to court; if I ever lived anywhere outside of MA; and reasons for wanting
LTC. He also said that it could take up to 8 weeks to get LTC, since the state has received a high influx of applications since November.

March 26, 2013 - received LTC-A Unrestricted

It took a month a 3 weeks for the LTC to arrive, and I only checked the status of the application once.

Dartmouth: I had my interview/application with the Firearms Licensing Officer in Dartmouth today. Was on time, to the point, polite and professional. No erroneous questions (other than what's on the application) were asked or required. Fingerprints and fee were handled quickly, made some small talk and was on my way. He did not make me feel weird that I was applying for a firearms license.

Officer did mention a roughly 3 month waiting period due to the State backlog.

All in all, a professional and pleasant experience in Dartmouth.

- - - Updated - - -

Dartmouth: I had my interview/application with the Firearms Licensing Officer in Dartmouth today. Was on time, to the point, polite and professional. No erroneous questions (other than what's on the application) were asked or required. Fingerprints and fee were handled quickly, made some small talk and was on my way. He did not make me feel weird that I was applying for a firearms license.

Officer did mention a roughly 3 month waiting period due to the State backlog.

All in all, a professional and pleasant experience in Dartmouth.

Here goes nothing. Off to New Bedford PD in about 45 minutes to hand in paperwork, get fingerprinted, etc. Been waiting since early April or so for the appointment - let's hope the actual turnaround doesn't take as long. Will update along the way.

UPDATE: Well that was quick and painless. Licensing officer was pleasant enough to deal with. Wasn't so much an interview as much as an overview of the application to verify information + hand in documentation, certification, etc. Photographed, fingerprinted, chatted up, all within an hour. He explained that there is a backlog due to an influx of new applicants. Stated turnaround is currently 5-11 weeks. He mentioned that no news is good news. If I don't hear back from them, that means they haven't come across anything problematic. Handed me back my birth certificate, NRA/State Police certification, and joked that he can't hand me back the $100 check I gave him. Said to call around 8-9 weeks if I haven't received anything.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Waltham:
3/29 - Drop off application at PD
4/23 - Receive phone call to schedule appointment (25 days)
5/1 - Fingerprinting (8 days)
8/1 - Receive phone call to pick up license (92 days)
Total: 125 days from start to finish

Finally!

Waltham:
3/29 - Drop off application at PD
4/23 - Receive phone call to schedule appointment (25 days)
5/1 - Fingerprinting (8 days)
8/1 - Receive phone call to pick up license (92 days)
Total: 125 days from start to finish

Finally!

Restrictions...?

Newton will now reissue you with an unrestricted ltc if you've had your restricted license for over a year and have kept yourself in good standing. This is in the wake of the new police chief being much more lenient on gun possession (from what I've been told).

I wrote a letter to the department, took them 3 weeks to process it, but I was then able to exchange my restricted LTC for an unrestricted one.

Newton will now reissue you with an unrestricted ltc if you've had your restricted license for over a year and have kept yourself in good standing. This is in the wake of the new police chief being much more lenient on gun possession (from what I've been told).

I wrote a letter to the department, took them 3 weeks to process it, but I was then able to exchange my restricted LTC for an unrestricted one.
Any cost associated with it?

Nope, it was a straight swap of the cards. Turned in my old one for the new one.

Last edited:

This is very nice to here. I submitted my renewal about a week ago and was told to write a short letter to the Chief if i wanted my restrictions removed. I thought they were just blowing smoke up my ass. They said I wont received my new license until December, because they are back logged. Do you know if this is true?

They said I wont received my new license until December, because they are back logged. Do you know if this is true?

I'm not sure if they're backlog is that bad, although I don't see why a renewal would take 4 months. I was told 1-2 weeks for my new card to come in...but they never called me 3 weeks after I submitted my letter. Only after me calling to ask did they say they had it in.

I would call them ever 2-3 weeks at a time to ask for any updates.

I'm not sure if they're backlog is that bad, although I don't see why a renewal would take 4 months. I was told 1-2 weeks for my new card to come in...but they never called me 3 weeks after I submitted my letter. Only after me calling to ask did they say they had it in.

Ok Thanks dtk. Do you think I should wait until my license expires before I call them?

For renewals and new applications, the backlog is "that bad".

Changing restrictions on an active LTC, however, is a completely different process. That's why they were able to get it back in a couple of weeks.

Recently got a unrestricted LTC A in Millbury, about a 7 week wait. First time applying. The secretary who processes the paperwork was very friendly. All around a fairly painless process.

Last edited:
Ok Thanks dtk. Do you think I should wait until my license expires before I call them?

Can't hurt to call them and ask.

For renewals and new applications, the backlog is "that bad".

Changing restrictions on an active LTC, however, is a completely different process. That's why they were able to get it back in a couple of weeks.

Good point, although I'd think a renewal would also be different then new applicants. But then again, I don't know what the renewal process is like - only having had my ltc for over a year now.

Can't hurt to call them and ask.

Good point, although I'd think a renewal would also be different then new applicants. But then again, I don't know what the renewal process is like - only having had my ltc for over a year now.

Renewals are generally taking the same amount of time as new apps, which varies GREATLY from town to town, for unknown reasons!

Try reading the Sticky I posted in the proper forum on the licensing process and you'll get a better handle on what is involved.

This is in the wake of the new police chief being much more lenient on gun possession (from what I've been told).

That's wrong but that's a good thing!

I gave the lady a call to ask if their policy has changed since we've got a new chief. She said she hasnt heard of any changes yet. Call back in a few months to check again.

So the 1 year thing is the old "chief's policy." I remember her telling me before the new chief was sworn in.

Since you say the new chief is 2A friendly, hopefully it will change sooner rather than later!

Has anyone received their permit recently in Lynn and if it's still a green town?

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone received their permit recently in Lynn and if it's still a green town?

- - - Updated - - -

Unclear. There is a new police chief and it's not clear what the new restrictions policy is. But I can tell you he is no where near as good as the old chief on suitability.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Unclear. There is a new police chief and it's not clear what the new restrictions policy is. But I can tell you he is no where near as good as the old chief on suitability.

I renewed in Canton in the beginning of the year. Though listed in this sticky as black, you could get a Class A but their policy was always with restrictions such as "target" or "employment". This time Class A, no restrictions. I was informed that this was Canton's new policy for all.

I renewed in Canton in the beginning of the year. Though listed in this sticky as black, you could get a Class A but their policy was always with restrictions such as "target" or "employment". This time Class A, no restrictions. I was informed that this was Canton's new policy for all.

Amazing!! Just amazing!! Their next target is to ban electronic cigarettes in town so maybe with that new target to pursue they are lightening up on gun owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom