Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. I called yesterday and got my appointment with them for the end of July, so not bad. I'm guessing there will be a wait, but mainly because of the state processing them slowly.
That's great news. The rumors were that it was taking Dartmouth 6+ months just to schedule appointments due to a deliberate desire to limit the number of gun owners in town.

We tried to investigate these allegations but were unable to verify any actual instances of this kind of abuse. Most reports of appointment delays seem to be traced back to a single NES post.

Target and Hunting. When we moved here from NH I didn't know any better. I haven't felt like fighting the battle to get them removed, since we'll most likely be leaving Mass before the end of the year.

Moving from NH to MA is an ass backwards move.

Once I am out, I don't care what other states I move to, but I will NEVER move back into MA. NEVER.

Applied on 4/5 in Boxborough, no appointment need it. Got the call on 7/11 to pick up my license without restrictions. Now ready to get that Kahr PM9.

Framingham: FPD told me I'd be notified in 8-12 weeks. Today marked 12 weeks. I waited by the phone all day....NOT.

- - - Updated - - -

Framingham: FPD told me I'd be notified in 8-12 weeks. Today marked 12 weeks. I waited by the phone all day....NOT.

ABINGTON--- a friend has been waiting for 10 weeks now. They keep telling him the state is taking a long time. I say that's BS.

I will let you know if he gets any resteictions.

KINGSTON- a friend got his LTC A no resteictions in 5-6 weeks.

WESTFORD- I got my LTC A no restrictions in 5-6 weeks. A few years ago.

Last edited:
I received an LTC A "Target and Hunting" from Medford on July 19th (18 weeks to issue). I applied for Unrestricted but was given Target and Hunting despite providing proper justification for Unrestricted. My attorney contacted the Licensing Officer, Officer Conway to discuss the restrictions and was told that Chief Sacco has tightened his issuance policy to be similar to Woburn's policy and now the only citizens receiving Unrestricted licenses are business owners.

I was told that the Chief is not willing to discuss. The decision is final. According to my attorney, the only remaining option is to treat the issuance of a restricted LTC as a denial of the "Unrestricted" LTC I applied for and file for judicial review. I'd like to hear thoughts on whether there are any documented cases of this approach being successful. I understand that even if there have been successful cases, future success is at the luck of the draw with regard to which judge hears the case.

I received an LTC A "Target and Hunting" from Medford on July 19th (18 weeks to issue). I applied for Unrestricted but was given Target and Hunting despite providing proper justification for Unrestricted. My attorney contacted the Licensing Officer, Officer Conway to discuss the restrictions and was told that Chief Sacco has tightened his issuance policy to be similar to Woburn's policy and now the only citizens receiving Unrestricted licenses are business owners.

I was told that the Chief is not willing to discuss. The decision is final. According to my attorney, the only remaining option is to treat the issuance of a restricted LTC as a denial of the "Unrestricted" LTC I applied for and file for judicial review. I'd like to hear thoughts on whether there are any documented cases of this approach being successful. I understand that even if there have been successful cases, future success is at the luck of the draw with regard to which judge hears the case.

Contact Comm2A and see if they can help guide you. It is a tough row to hoe.

I would move. You may be able to get your license "expired", so you can apply in a new town. Certainly cheaper. I would say your lawyer is in for a payday, and your outcome doesn't have good odds.

Waltham - Today marks 12 weeks so I called and left a voicemail for officer Modica first thing this morning. No call back by lunchtime so I stopped by the police station and he told me that my license was not there and that I would receive a call when it arrives. When I met with him on 5/1, he said it would be there in 8-12 weeks and not to call him before then. I called the DCJIS (617.660.4722) and they said that my license was "Pending approval" for today and should be mailed out within 2 weeks.

I would move. You may be able to get your license "expired", so you can apply in a new town. Certainly cheaper. I would say your lawyer is in for a payday, and your outcome doesn't have good odds.

Sadly, my wife and I have lived in our home for over 20 years and she doesn't have much interest in moving. It's the house her kids grew up in and that is a tough string to cut. Not to mention, even if I moved; I can see the Chief being a big enough d*ck to refuse to expire the license. I am told that the chief is under no legal obligation to do so. The law allows for revocation of a license but there is no specific provision for expiring a license or transferring ownership of it to another authority.

Sadly, my wife and I have lived in our home for over 20 years and she doesn't have much interest in moving. It's the house her kids grew up in and that is a tough string to cut. Not to mention, even if I moved; I can see the Chief being a big enough d*ck to refuse to expire the license. I am told that the chief is under no legal obligation to do so. The law allows for revocation of a license but there is no specific provision for expiring a license or transferring ownership of it to another authority.

Absolutely correct, if you move to another town within MA. Moving outside MA automatically expires your license though once the PD/FRB get the legally required address change notification letter... Of course, not everyone can move outside of MA, but I thought that mentioning the alternative was worthwhile.

In that case, I wouldn't pursue it. IMHO, it will only cost you money, with little hope of a favorable outcome. Part of me would like to see you continue, but hey it's your battle, and IANAL, only an anonymous internet adviser.

A restricted License is not considered a denial, this has been well documented in the past. Unfortunate, but reality

Framingham - 13 weeks + 1 day... still nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Framingham - 13 weeks + 1 day... still nothing.

marion - Called doj today and told approved on 7/23 and to expect in 2 weeks. buying a para p14 45 acp from a friend.

pics and prints 4/27

I just got my renewal in Norwood for an Unrestricted (issued by a different town). It took less than 30 days to have it in hand (submission to in hand). The licensing officer was really great. I am hearing good things in Norwood under Brooks, I wonder if Norwood should be changed from RED to another color? Any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

I just got my renewal in Norwood for an Unrestricted (issued by a different town). It took less than 30 days to have it in hand (submission to in hand). The licensing officer was really great. I am hearing good things in Norwood under Brooks, I wonder if Norwood should be changed from RED to another color? Any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

I've been hearing for a long time that Norwood is routinely issuing unrestricted LTCs. I'm not sure why it's still red.

The big news is that it only took 30 days! WTF???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom