Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone in Canton successfully had their restrictions removed on their Class A? Figured I'd ask here before going to make an appt with the LT.

I figured I would share how my process with the city of Boston went. I applied back in October of 2012. While it requires some steps, for a major liberal city it really wasn't awful. I applied for a Class A LTC, Here is how it went:

Safety Class – Sept 25, 2012 (used a livingsocial coupon for it so it only cost me $50)

Sept 26, 2012:Called licensing for appointment, only appointment was Oct 23

Oct 23, 2012: Showed up at BPD HQ to do paperwork. $100 money order and fingerprinting. You do not need proof of residency (The election form) anymore if you have a MA license with your Boston Address

Oct 24, 2012: Range Test, I was lucky I was nice to the woman and she got me a next day test.

Dec 19,2012: I received my license in the mail.

I have a Sport Target & Hunting Restriction. I didn't even try for anything else, figured it wasn't worth it and the woman that does it says the LT only gives with restrictions.

Last edited:
I called up today to speak with the sergeant in charge of LTC's and was told that he would not be in on the 6th, but instead would be in on the 8th. I guess I'll call back on the 8th. Still don't know if I'm getting the run around yet, but if this sergeant is not available on the 8th then I'll have a pretty good indication.

RE: LTC app in Everett MA. Update: Finally got in there to submit app today with Sgt. Spinale. Turns out he's a real good guy, application was easy and no attempt at trick questions or anything. He said 3 months wait is about average down from a year, which is fine by me if I get Class A Unrestricted. Ya I know not 40 days but...<shrug>. The clock has started at least (hopefully). I didn't bother asking about why website policy and real policy are different. I noticed on bulletin board in police station LTC policy is the same as website. Both are wrong, you have to call and make an appointment with Sgt. Spinale.

Fiance got hers yesterday after 15 weeks, Tyngsboro. Not too bad comparatively speaking, from what I've heard.

RE: LTC app in Everett MA. Update: Finally got in there to submit app today with Sgt. Spinale. Turns out he's a real good guy, application was easy and no attempt at trick questions or anything. He said 3 months wait is about average down from a year, which is fine by me if I get Class A Unrestricted. Ya I know not 40 days but...<shrug>. The clock has started at least (hopefully). I didn't bother asking about why website policy and real policy are different. I noticed on bulletin board in police station LTC policy is the same as website. Both are wrong, you have to call and make an appointment with Sgt. Spinale.
That "one year" wait time is bullshit that they put in place. It wasnt an actual backlog it was them not giving a **** about the people who pay their salaries.

- - - Updated - - -

That "one year" wait time is bullshit that they put in place. It wasnt an actual backlog it was them not giving a **** about the people who pay their salaries.

Boston. My first go around I got a restricted Class A. I have heard that was common practice dont know about now. Either way Boston gave me a restricted A

- - - Updated - - -

Boston. My first go around I got a restricted Class A. I have heard that was common practice dont know about now. Either way Boston gave me a restricted A

During the execution of the right to carry case Davis v. Grimes, we have discovered and confirmed that Worcester has updated its policies and is now by default a green town. So long as there is no criminal background, record of arrests or other color in ones backgtound, they will issue an unrestricted license. Although this is not by any means a policy that reflects respect for the second amendment, it's a baby step in the right direction. You can update the map to reflect that they issue restrictions none to first time applicants.

- - - Updated - - -

During the execution of the right to carry case Davis v. Grimes, we have discovered and confirmed that Worcester has updated its policies and is now by default a green town. So long as there is no criminal background, record of arrests or other color in ones backgtound, they will issue an unrestricted license. Although this is not by any means a policy that reflects respect for the second amendment, it's a baby step in the right direction. You can update the map to reflect that they issue restrictions none to first time applicants.

+1

Any good news deserves recognition in these times. Great to hear that Worcester is improving.

I've heard rumors of Tewksbury starting to become less green than they are/were, just a heads up.

Would you explain exactly what you mean. I'm up for renewal in a few months and have students that will be applying here.

Well, I spoke to the Tewksbury COP tonight. He emphatically stated that he has never nor does he ever intend to issue restricted LTCs in Tewksbury. He thinks that restricted licenses are counter productive and serve no useful purpose.

So, the rumor of Tewksbury going ungreen is false. Squash that rumor!

Can you share your experience?

Sorry for the delayed response.

I grew up in, and my parents still live in Colrain. My dad just renewed after being several years without his LTC. The chief, without hesitation, issued him a LTC-A no restrictions. When I went through my divorce several years ago, I moved back with my parents for about a year. That same chief had zero issues with my have a non restricted LTC-A. I also spoke with him about signing a form 1 for a SBR. He was more than willing, and expressed interest in shooting with me. I didn't end up getting it done. But, I have yet to hear about anyone from that town getting denied for anything other than legal reasons.

Hope this helps. :)

Hi guys! New here, but I've been reading for a while. Here's an update on Bedford (regular Bedford, not New Bedford):

Early March, took the class
March 14th: Applied
March 22nd: Got the call to schedule an interview
March 27th: Interview
May 20th: Bedford PD is still waiting for the state to do prints
June 10th: License issued
June 20th: Got it in the mail

Total time between interview and in-pocket: 85 days

LTC-A, no restrictions. Bedford's still green!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys! New here, but I've been reading for a while. Here's an update on Bedford (regular Bedford, not New Bedford):

Early March, took the class
March 14th: Applied
March 22nd: Got the call to schedule an interview
March 27th: Interview
May 20th: Bedford PD is still waiting for the state to do prints
June 10th: License issued
June 20th: Got it in the mail

Total time between interview and in-pocket: 85 days

LTC-A, no restrictions. Bedford's still green!

Sunderland is very green. When I applied, I didn't even have to meet the chief. The station officer processed my app and printed me the same day. No interview, no reference letters etc. Less than 40 days later, I had my unrestricted LTC in hand.

Agawam, applied 4 months prior. No appointment necessary. 8 weeks in, FRB said that local was still doing background check. 4 weeks later, FRB said license mailed, got call a few days later from PD to pick up.

Renewal, Class A, "Unrestricted", no headaches or BS other than the wait. Already had Unrestricted on previous LTC.

Nothing for my wife in Worcester yet. 11 weeks and counting.

She called this morning and they said, "still nothing. Call back at 12 weeks."

I really think the LTC is sitting there, and when she calls back at the 12 week mark like her master wants, it will be miraculously sitting there. I hate this state.

Nothing for my wife in Worcester yet. 11 weeks and counting.

She called this morning and they said, "still nothing. Call back at 12 weeks."

I really think the LTC is sitting there, and when she calls back at the 12 week mark like her master wants, it will be miraculously sitting there. I hate this state.

Have her call FRB to check status and see if it was issued yet.

Just a note to let you know that I met a friend in Stoneham today which is where I also live. He was showing me a printed form from the Chief who is new and in it it states that you have to show good reason if you want an unrestricted lic. and he has had his for 30 plus yrs. Even if you carry large amounts of cash or fear for your life you need to show real proof of this before he will issue a unrestricted lic. Hopefully some can check this out.

I can confirm that Natick is green. The wife received her LTC-A no restrictions about three weeks ago. It was a pretty painless process, but the wait was about 11 weeks. If I remember correctly, she listed two references. No doctor's notes or any other crap.

I'm not sure what's up with Lexington. A friend applied there and so far it's 14 weeks and counting. He was also told that he will probably receive a restricted license because he is a first-time applicant. Will update when I hear more.

Buck.

Framingham -- It's been 9 weeks as of today. I phoned the Dept. of Criminal Justice yesterday to check the status. "They are still working on the background check". I've never been in trouble in my life. I think I got a speeding ticket as a teenager like, 35 years ago. My "background" is clean as a whistle, wtf is it? Is it just a backlog of apps? Is the woman at DCJ just programmed to tell everyone who calls the same thing? I've been very patient, but it's wearing thin. I know if I stir the pot at the FPD, they'll just say "Thanks for playing" and deny me. This hardly seems fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom