• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got burned with an online deal

I made a deal with a guy at ar15.com for some pre-ban mags. I Paypaled him the $$ discreetly. That was almost 3 weeks ago. I sent him 3 emails and I got 1 reply saying "he'll check his paperwork on the shipping'. I check with the USPS everyday and they only say they got the shipping info but no package. I filed a dispute at Paypal and they will "look into it".

What if anything can I do to get my $$ back? His tel. has been disconnected as I tried to call him.

Thanks for any help.

Paypal - might as well tell them what he was selling and get his account cancel and his funds impounded for 6 months or so :)

Make sure you post info in the feedback forum on ar15.com, they have people there who like tracking down cheats and are very good at finding publicly available info on scumbags.

Do you have his address? Send a couple 300 pound thumb breakers over to "retrieve" your cash.[smile]

Seriously, if you can get his address, call the local LE in the area and see if they can do anything.

I hope you used a credit card behind the paypal transaction. Leverage them as well, as the cc companies are used to dealing with frauds, and are usually very sympathetic to their customers.

If you used a CC with paypal call up the credit card company. If you didn't use a CC, next time use a CC. I had a few times where people either didn't send the item, they didn't show up, or showed up damaged and the buyer refused to respond and the shipper was horrible, so I called my CC and told them the situation...and they said they would look into it... I got a refund...and a few weeks later an irate letter from Paypal saying I need to first file a request with them to look into it... I sent them the email saying they wouldn't do anything... and they never responded.

Paypal is pretty good about taking the buys side, and there big selling point is that you have insurance with them. It may take a while, but you will probably get your refund.

I have been scammed a few times through paypal.
Paypal has never been truly helpful.

It helps to use a credit card and file a complaint with them. They tend to "have your back" more.

If you can get the info on the scammer, try and call their local PD.

I did that once when someone failed to send me a car part. The local sheriff knew of the kid and paid a visit to his parents house. I received a check for my money a week later. No charges filed because I would have had to go down to georgia or something to testify.

+1 I have never had good luck with PayPal when it comes to crap like this. I got burned by some bum on Ebay selling Airsoft stuff and PayPal did nothing,

It's hard to say via an agreement via a forum like ar15.

I got burned on ebay, paid with paypal, filed a complaint and I got $200 of the $250 back.

An agreement between two supposed different people might be tough to win from paypal. Take Greg's advice and PM Munyguru and see what happens. Sorry to hear you are dealing with bullshit, been there done that. [sad2]

I had someone try to tell paypal I never sent the guy an item after he had sent me pictures showing him using it at band practice (was a limited edition bass guitar). Paypal didnt do dick for me and tried to give the money back, until I threatened to call his local police department and report him for theft. He went away a nd I cancelled my paypal account.

Well, that sucks.

Unfortunately it's one of the risks involved when dealing with strangers on the Internet. [sad2]

A bit of advice... in future dealings a sellers posting history can be a helpful indicator as to their trustworthiness or reputation.

I'd never take the chance of dealing with a seller that has a low post count, or is a recent member looking to unload a "bargain" deal.

Google the sellers name. It's not often that something to be wary of turns up, but every now and then the rip-off artists screw up (more often than not the amateurs will).

Personally... even before dealing with any online vendor that is an unknown quantity or one that I'm totally unfamiliar with, I'll Google them to read what others have to say.

+1 on contacting the ARFCOM EE board mods... they seldom take these things lightly (nor does the membership).

Check the sellers "User Info". See when the last time the person logged in was. That should give you an idea if the seller is still lurking about since the deal went sour and is purposely not responding to any of your correspondence.

I have been on both ends (buyer and seller) of a Paypal dispute in the last month or so. They decided for the buyer both times. I was the seller of a shotgun stock and guy basically did not like it, wanted to return it, I didn't want to take it back because he ticked me off, and they paid him back and deducted my account into negative. I was pissed, they didn't even let me tell my whole side of the story. So, they are pretty buyer friendly. But, both of mine were through ebay.

Update

I Googled his name and I found out he's a trial lawyer in Ohio. I'll have to call his office 1st thing on Monday and see what his stroy is.

I wonder how the Ohio BAR Assoc. would like to know he's screwing people on the internet???

I just sent him a polite email asking for a refund. I also cut & pasted info from the Ohio BAR Assoc. Maybe he'll get the message now.

His email just bounced back 3 emails I just sent him. Hmm, blocked my emails huh? I used my Hotmail email and sent another to him.

Such an ass over $80.00

I Googled his name

While you got a hit when "Googling", be aware that without identifying characteristics such as a SS number, DOB and other information, the name may be a duplicate. Before you actually call up this office and accuse anyone, be very certain you have the correct individual. At the very least, the address should be a match.

While you got a hit when "Googling", be aware that without identifying characteristics such as a SS number, DOB and other information, the name may be a duplicate. Before you actually call up this office and accuse anyone, be very certain you have the correct individual. At the very least, the address should be a match.

Same person same email at his website and at AR15.com. I know this because Paypal sent a receipt of my payment and the it's same email address I didn't accuse anyone I just asked for a refund, politey I may ad.

I thought,o.k. maybe he's out of town on business. Then he blocked my emails I sent to him. The one I sent to him using my Hotmail email did not get bounced to me.

I made a deal with a guy at ar15.com for some pre-ban mags. I Paypaled him the $$ discreetly. That was almost 3 weeks ago. I sent him 3 emails and I got 1 reply saying "he'll check his paperwork on the shipping'. I check with the USPS everyday and they only say they got the shipping info but no package. I filed a dispute at Paypal and they will "look into it".

What if anything can I do to get my $$ back? His tel. has been disconnected as I tried to call him.

Thank for any help.

I use Paypal all the time... BUT.. I will not use my Bank Account to fund my Paypal... I always my American Express card.. any issues.. paypal will get back with you in a few weeks.. then usually tell you they will give you 50% back or something.. but now I just call AMEX... they are my dogs... in less then a day paypal will send you a email.. telling you they are looking into it.. blah blah blah.. then refund all my money...

Thanks you AMEX!!! [smile]

I spend a crap full of $$$$$$$$ on the net.. all with Amex.. have been nearly screwed a few times.. but Amex always covers for me..

What ever you do.. screw Paypal... take it up with the people that you funded paypal with..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom