Got bored today...

Sweeney

NES Member
I couldn't sit still while watching the Pats so, with the game on in the shop, I messed around with making a brake for one of the M14s. This is it roughed out. I want to increase the diameter inside (and clean up the bore) but need a smaller boring bar to reach in there. Once done I'll parkerize it. It aligns perfectly with the bore... I checked...

I don't want it to direct the blast to the side so the slots are oriented at 40° from the bore on a 180° arc.

I'm curious as to how it performs.

Last edited:
Is that legal?

I can find no legal definition of the difference between a flash hider and a brake or compensator so I've gone by the 'big hole vs little hole' theory along with the manufacturer's stated design purpose. This has a little hole so it's a brake and the manufacturer, me, states it is designed as a brake.

Last edited:
I can find no legal definition of the difference between a flash hider and a brake or compensator so I've gone by the 'big hole vs little hole' theory along with the manufacturer's stated design purpose. This has a little hole so it's a brake and the manufacturer, me, states it is designed as a brake.
Ok very well.

But Marsha said that it is not illegal to be illegal in Mass. I'm so confused.

- - - Updated - - -

Crap... I knew it.

I hope you have an M14 because it won't thread onto anything else. [smile]

That's OK. Don't bother removing it off yours and send the whole thing. I'll pay for shipping and transfer. [smile]

Last edited by a moderator:
The legal definition and design aspects might be hard to understand brake vs flash hider all it takes is a trip to the range at night or just before sunset. Take a preban gun with a flash bidder( for us restricted folks) and one with a brake......tell me if there's a difference. ......I see it.

You should of bored it before cutting the slots youll, get chatter. Buy a reamer the right size you want , you'll have a smoother finish now,

No can do. I know you're referring to an interrupted cut but I've done it before with good results... just go really slow. I can't ream it as I need to maintain the diameter I have at either end. So, i'll either bore it or use a reduced shank end mill. If I need to make another, no big deal... just messing around with machines.

No can do. I know you're referring to an interrupted cut but I've done it before with good results... just go really slow. I can't ream it as I need to maintain the diameter I have at either end. So, i'll either bore it or use a reduced shank end mill. If I need to make another, no big deal... just messing around with machines.

Normally I spin it crazy fast like slow slow feed taking skim cuts on stuff that's soft . Harder stuff I'd just use a reamer if I didn't bore it to the right size and have gaps etc .

Just confused why you can't use a reamer , but a reduce shank end mill?
Jobs at work I often use a end mill as a reamer when I don't have the right reamer on hand or it wore out.

Normally I spin it crazy fast like slow slow feed taking skim cuts on stuff that's soft . Harder stuff I'd just use a reamer if I didn't bore it to the right size and have gaps etc .

Just confused why you can't use a reamer , but a reduce shank end mill?
Jobs at work I often use a end mill as a reamer when I don't have the right reamer on hand or it wore out.

On the M14 the muzzle devise needs a shoulder which the muzzle seats against so that diameter cannot be increased. It isn't like the usual AR15 muzzle end with a shoulder aft of the threads. I also do not want to increase the exit diameter of my brake. Therefore, a reamer cannot be used to increase the diameter between the two ends.

With the brake mounted in a chuck on a rotary table I can drop a reduced shank end mill down the bore, move the table over and rotate the brake via the table increasing the diameter of the inner section a bit and cleaning it up.

The slots were cut on the rotary table as were the counter bores on the back side. This produced the unique profiles of the slots. The counter bores... just because I could... [wink]

Last edited:
I like people who can use their hands and minds.
Nice work.

Who cares if it is legal?

"I can find no legal definition of the difference between a flash hider and a brake or compensator so I've gone by the 'big hole vs little hole' theory along with the manufacturer's stated design purpose. This has a little hole so it's a brake and the manufacturer, me, states it is designed as a brake."

I'm not being a smart-a**, but unless you are selling it to a dealer, who would care? Who would check? Is a flash supresser (sp?) illegal in Ma. I have never been one interested into looking at ALL the laws in Ma. to find out the legal vs. illegal items.

Looks very nice, I just like the looks, please post the results here, would this be something I could have made for my Mini-14?

Thanks

On the M14 the muzzle devise needs a shoulder which the muzzle seats against so that diameter cannot be increased. I also do not want to increase the exit diameter of my brake. Therefore, a reamer cannot be used to increase the diameter between the two ends.

With the brake mounted in a chuck on a rotary table I can drop a reduced shank end mill down the bore, move the table over and rotate the brake via the table increasing the diameter of the inner section a bit and cleaning it up.

Well I feel stupid. I was thinking it was straight.

I could be wrong, but wouldn't that direct more force towards the shooter due to the slots being angled towards the target rather than the shooter?

I like the machining though, would love to have the tools/equipment (and talent) to do that.

Back
Top Bottom