• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got a nice bonus at work

And told my wife, this is my money and I'm going to buy myself something nice! And since that sounded so nice in my head I left it there.
[laugh2]

But when I asked my wife if she would mind if I splurged on an Ar-15 she said OK.

So my dilemma is that other any shooting 2 flavors of M-16's in the Army, I don't have a lot of experience with the AR-15 variants. I read a lot of articles on these forums and you guys make it seem that different manufactures uppers and lowers are interchangeable, is that true?

Regardless can I get some recommendations on a good base AR-15 that I can start upgrading? If you know a store that sells them that would be good too. I frequent.

Are you a member of a club yet? If so, post which one and I'm sure folks here on the board would meet you to try their AR. There are many quality makers and more varients then you could possibly imagine. Testing a few will definitely give you an idea of which way you want to go.

A few years ago I was in the same position that you are, except that I had never even held an AR, let alone fired one. I had seen guys at the range shooting them, and that got me interested. Reading about them on NES left me further confused, but increased my interest. I finally bought one, a Bushmaster. I now own several, and my son and I have built a couple of them. It's an easy learning curve, fun and rewarding.

Yes, most uppers and lowers are interchangeable. I'll frequently swap uppers and lowers around to get a different feel or fit. If you can get to an NES shoot you'll see a bunch of different rifles, as well as different optics. I've never met anyone at an NES shoot that wouldn't let you try a few rounds through their guns. You live a fair distance from me, but maybe you could meet with a nearby NESer at a range to try a few out.

Be forewarned...it is an easily acquired addiction.

Regardless can I get some recommendations on a good base AR-15 that I can start upgrading?
There are numerous approaches, including just getting a high end AR from a top notch builder. You need to figure out a few basics:

- What sighting system do you want? Iron or scope? If scope, you may prefer a flat top

- Single or double stage trigger?

- Free float or conventional barrel - if you want target grade accuracy, consider starting with a floated bbl rather than adding it later.

- Handguard. There are loads with all the doodads, but consider how it feels as well as how bad ass it looks.

- Budget. Figure $1K for "basic", $2K for "high end" and $3K for "exotic" - not counting the optic with can run from $120 to $2500 for the glass.

I'll have some interesting ones at the NES BBQ you can check out if you wish.

For $2k, you can buy a solid Bushmaster for $1k and start working on your ammo fort with the rest. [smile]

+1 to what Rob B. said. A heavy "bull" barrel, barrel floating, and 2-stage trigger are all nice to have.

Get a good basic rifle and run a case of ammo through it before you start hanging tacticool stuff off it.

55_grain

With 2000 buck's I would go to zero hour arms in easton and buy a pre ban. And spend the rest on mags,ammo and a good optic.

So from what I've been able to read up on the Noveske does sound like a good way to go. I check their website and Remsport is one of the dealers in Mass. Is that a person or a store?

So from what I've been able to read up on the Noveske does sound like a good way to go. I check their website and Remsport is one of the dealers in Mass. Is that a person or a store?

He's more of a pistol guy.

Target and being ready for the zombies.

Target and tactical are very different setups IMHO. My target gun is set up with a 20" heavy barrel, CMP float tube, weighted A2 stock, 1/4 min sights, etc. My zombie gun has a 14.5" M4-style barrel (with welded comp,) ACE skeleton stock, and an Aimpoint (with backup sights in case the zombies eat all of my batteries.)

So - do you want to do more run and gun tacticool type stuff or more target shooting type stuff? If you want to do both you might want to consider two guns or at least two uppers.

Within your budget, you could get or build one of many fine ARs and then have money left for another upper.

You could end up with a great lower/stock assembly that you could use to swap out uppers....say one upper for tactical defense and one upper for target/long range accuracy/varmints.

Good luck...I'm very envious.

ok. i thought of this.

$1400 for rifle.
$500 or so for an Aim point
$100 remaining for a sling, forgrip and a new hat.

[cheers]

Back
Top Bottom