Good guy with a gun in Worcester loses LTC

Nope, there is a lot of digging to be done.

For example, they will check the background of all involved parties to make sure that is really as simple as it appears, and not a feud between two people that the victor is trying to pass off as self defense. And then there is checking the magazines to see if they can get a AWB post ban mag conviction if the shoot itself is clean.

Good reminder to carry a spare 10 rd mag. ;)

Good reminder to carry a spare 10 rd mag. ;)
Nope. Just carry 10 rounders or pre-bans only. One of the worst things you can do in a shooting is trying to fudge the scene or evidence, like ditch a post ban mag hoping the police don't find it. A good lab person could probably even tell that there was no powder residue on the 10 rounder you tried to pass off as the mag in the gun when you used it. Also, you can assume the police will search the area, and possibly even nearby garbage cans for evidence. The investigation will be slow, painstaking, and tedious. If you play your cards straight, it will confirm everything you say in your statement after your attorney has arrived.

Nope. Just carry 10 rounders or pre-bans only. One of the worst things you can do in a shooting is trying to fudge the scene or evidence, like ditch a post ban mag hoping the police don't find it. A good lab person could probably even tell that there was no powder residue on the 10 rounder you tried to pass off as the mag in the gun when you used it. Also, you can assume the police will search the area, and possibly even nearby garbage cans for evidence. The investigation will be slow, painstaking, and tedious. If you play your cards straight, it will confirm everything you say in your statement after your attorney has arrived.

Yeah, I was just kidding. When the FSA is marching down my street with torches I'll load up some post-ban mags. Won't matter then.

Good to know the police put so much effort into convicting the law abiding. One would hope the criminals get the same level of effort.

One thing that makes this maybe not as bad as it looks is that the report never mentions the clerk’s name, it only refers to him as “the clerk”.

If they were planning on charging him with anything, they’d probably have released his name and address and the laundry list of charges.

That doesn’t make it OK, obviously, but maybe it’s not a complete disaster for the clerk.

You realize that carrying without an LTC carries a mandatory 18 month jail sentence in Mass.
Unless you're from Dorchester / Mattapan / Roxbury /Brockton / other s**thole city and a s**thead bleeding heart judge tosses out the arrest on a technicality...

A lot of how this turns out will depend on public opinion. If the "clerk" can get some support for what he did (save a customer from a knife-wielding robber) then maybe the DA will decline to prosecute him and he may get his LTC and firearm back. If the media starts painting Mr. Ahorrio as some victim of a trigger-happy gun owner then things won't go so well. Regardless, once the criminal stuff gets sorted out, there may be a civil action. Even if the police and the DA exonerate the clerk he may still face years of court action and tens of thousands in legal bills.

When the FSA is marching down my street with torches I'll load up some post-ban mags. Won't matter then.
Sounds good, but WRONG.

Remember the Koreans in the LA fiasco? They did a great job protecting their shop with the threat of gunfire but, eventually, order was restored. You can bet if there were some dead people, especially diverse people, that there would have been an investigation; interrogation of all Koreans present looking for someone willing to turn stool; and subsequent prosecution or plea bargain. Imagine trying to justify self-defense for popping someone at 50 yards or so from a rooftop. Although Justice Oliver Wendel Homes said "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an upraised knife", the court system, particularly in blue states, often does.

"Not matter then" only comes into effect if you have long-term societal breakdown of the scale "The Walking Dead".

... I can hope that individual Worcester cops and detectives aren't doing these things and there's something else in context that makes this less outrageous, but...

Doing which things? Shooting intruders? Compare with this one:
Police: Worcester homeowner shoots, injures man trespassing on his property

Maybe one of the legal minds can chime in whether using your gun in self defense automatically means you lose your LTC in MA. I wouldn't think so, maybe the article is wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

What happened with the guy in the above discussion (trespassing on his property)?

Here's another Worcester incident where clerk shoots robber:
Worcester store owner shoots, kills alleged robber - The Boston Globe

and
Liquor store clerk kills robber during hold up

Last edited:
Sounds good, but WRONG.

Remember the Koreans in the LA fiasco? They did a great job protecting their shop with the threat of gunfire but, eventually, order was restored. You can bet if there were some dead people, especially diverse people, that there would have been an investigation; interrogation of all Koreans present looking for someone willing to turn stool; and subsequent prosecution or plea bargain. Imagine trying to justify self-defense for popping someone at 50 yards or so from a rooftop. Although Justice Oliver Wendel Homes said "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an upraised knife", the court system, particularly in blue states, often does.

"Not matter then" only comes into effect if you have long-term societal breakdown of the scale "The Walking Dead".

What’s coming will make LA look like a picnic. And the government will have already declared war on gun owners, so no one will care how many notches are in your Glock mag.

If you can't use your CC in a clear cut case like this, when can you? Seriously. It makes you wonder if an LTC has any value at all if they can just take it for whatever they want. One use, save your life or someone else's, lose it because you actually had to use it - for the purpose it was intended.

If you can't use your CC in a clear cut case like this, when can you? Seriously. It makes you wonder if an LTC has any value at all if they can just take it for whatever they want. One use, save your life or someone else's, lose it because you actually had to use it - for the purpose it was intended.

That pretty much sums it up. Just do it cause the AG doesn’t want you to.

Welcome to the People's Republic of Massachusetts.
Does anyone remember the ArthurDaRosa rampage? He killed 2 people in Brockton / Taunton and was about to stab a third woman to death when he was shot and killed by a customer in a restaurant where the third killing was about to take place. The guy that shot him was a sheriff's deputy so he got cleared.
An unrestricted LTC is almost useless in this state because the (deep) state does NOT want you to use it. If you DO use it and you injure or kill someone then the (deep) state is going to go after you, and then when they are done with you they will turn you over to all those hungry personal injury lawyers coming out of Harvard, BC Law, Suffolk,, etc. who will CHEW you up in the civil courts. And then you will be crucified in the liberal press "mentally ill drug addict shot over request for $20" (never mind that he pulled a knife on you). Don't forget what happened to Bernie Goetz in NYC 34 years ago! He essentially beat the criminal rap but he got TOTALLY SCREWED by the civil courts.

Nobody should have the right or the authority to deny a person the ability to protect and defend themselves and others. It's disgusting the power that the state has usurped from the people it's supposed to be subordinate to.

They shouldn't have taken his LTC unless he was charged with a crime....

His rights and property shouldn't be taken without due process.

I'm just wondering if this guy had his license and gun taken:
Police: Worcester homeowner shoots, injures man trespassing on his property

It should be same:same, right? RIGHT?

LTC holder's in this state are seen as second class citizens. If we have to defend ourselves we basically get treated like criminals and get stripped of our rights. Cops on the other hand get paid adim leave.

There are things I fear greater than Death or Prison...

His rights and property shouldn't be taken without due process.

Bob

I wholeheartedly agree.

But what I don’t agree with in this thread is the general impression that it was some random Patrolman or Det. that made the decision on his own to confiscate dude’s LTC. Does anyone really believe that was an on-scene decision?

I wholeheartedly agree.

But what I don’t agree with in this thread is the general impression that it was some random Patrolman or Det. that made the decision on his own to confiscate dude’s LTC. Does anyone really believe that was an on-scene decision?
That is worse. This means it is institutional, and we approve of it. If not, it would not be institutional. Someone should ask if they have a standard policy for this. Based on the other one I mentioned above, it does not seem that way, or the policy is not being followed uniformly.

Back
Top Bottom