Gold Cup for carry?

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
I have a nice series 70 Gold Cup that I don't shoot much anymore.

I was thinking of using it for a carry gun, after I put an ambi-safety on it. Gold cups are throated and the ejection port is lowered. They are dependable guns, and I've never had a FTF or FTE since I put in my #16 Wolfe spring.

The gun is a gorgeous Colt Blue, which will get beat up if I carry it.

Anyone see any reason not to carry a Gold Cup, other than the adjustable sights? I might have them changed.

Does anyone think it's a good idea?

Thanks

Bill

Once you change out the sights, if you trust the gun and enjoy
shooting it, why not? Buy a very good holster for that big gun and
give it a shot. Worst comes to worst, you sell the holster, have some
finish wear, and gave it a shot.

You should carry what works for you since you are staking your life on it. Obviously reliability is a major factor coupled with shootability. However, one consideration is what happens to the gun if you are ever involved in a shooting? From the potential command to drop the gun by an LEO to long term storage in less then ideal conditions to potential scuffling and using it as a blunt force instrument. A Gold Cup is a damn nice gun to end up rusting for month's in a damp evidence room. Or maybe just disappearing after the fact.

firtree, I did buy a Milt Sparks Axiom for the gun. It's a great concealed holster that took 4 months to get. It carries real well in it, and conceals flatter than my revolvers.

Goose, I like the idea of a .45 for self defense, especially as we get to fall, winter and heavier clothes that make it easier to carry. If I had to use it in a shooting, I think I'd be more concerned with how well I shoot it, and how well it works, than what would happen to the gun after such an event. I know what you're saying, it is a beautiful gun. Maybe I should pony up the money for a new .45 with a reliability package.

Great gun. I used one for the first couple of seasons of IPSC competition. I think the trigger is too light for carry and personal defense.

I don't see anything wrong with it. Depending on how the
trigger is set you might want to have it changed/adjusted if one
feels it's too light, heavy, etc. The key thing of course is
making sure its reliable with the ammo you want to use... with
something like that I'd probably stick to Rem Golden Sabre 230gn
loading. The bullet profile lends itself to reliable feeding in a lot of
autoloaders.

-Mike

You could probably swap the Gold Cup for a pair of new S&W 1911s.

I agree. There's probably nothing wrong with carrying a Gold Cup, but I don't think it's a good idea. Here's why:

The gun is a gorgeous Colt Blue, which will get beat up if I carry it.

Surely there must be a handgun out there somewhere that you'd consider a better carry option than your Gold Cup. If so, trade/sell the Gold Cup and get two of them.

I agree. There's probably nothing wrong with carrying a Gold Cup, but I don't think it's a good idea. Here's why:

Surely there must be a handgun out there somewhere that you'd consider a better carry option than your Gold Cup. If so, trade/sell the Gold Cup and get two of them.

+1 I have a 70 government model that has the old satin finish that is somewhat worn. The
gun shoots as well as any of the other autos I own. I've been thinking about ponying up the
cash to refinish it but I kind of like the finish the way it is. Now if you wanted to trade that
blued GC for my Satin finsh S70 I might do the deal! [smile]

DSC01656.jpg

Last edited:
Carry the gun you like and feel most comfortable with, no matter what the cost. If you paid a lot for the gun in the first place you most have wanted it for a reason. I think more about getting in an accident with my car or motorcycle coming and going from the range and having 8-10 gun all over the highway. If I get into a shoot out and lose my gun but have my life so be it!!

Fred

Dan S, I am left handed, which is why I want the ambi safety.

Gammon, I think you might be right about a light trigger. Maybe I should think about a swap for 2 other guns. that would be nice.

TBP, thanks for the offer, If you threw in a Blue S&W from your collection I might consider it. Ever get that Mod 16? How about a Model 25?

The only downside I see is the sights. They won't take the beating of carry when bumped a lot. We had a lot of problems with adjustible sights on our S&W revolvers years ago. For that reason out semi-autos were ordered with fixed sights. They preformed fine for our use.

I just hate to see a nice firearm like that getting the wear and tear of carry. Just body sweat takes its toll. We had a Gold Cup in our firearm's evident locker for years. It's still there to this day. I have no idea why it was taken in as it was many years ago.

rscalzo, I feel the same way. I think I'd be better off buying something with low profile fixed sights, and leave my pretty blue gun for the range.

Dan S, I am left handed, which is why I want the ambi safety.

Gammon, I think you might be right about a light trigger. Maybe I should think about a swap for 2 other guns. that would be nice.

TBP, thanks for the offer, If you threw in a Blue S&W from your collection I might consider it. Ever get that Mod 16? How about a Model 25?

The trigger is light as the gun was designed from the ground up as a target pistol. Changing the trigger pull wouldn't be easy as the hammer and sear come from the factory set for a light pull and these parts on't interchange with the stock hammer and sear.

The Gold Cup is a beatiful pistol, save it for its intended use. A less expensive 1911 would make a better carry gun.

The hammer and sear will indeed interchange - it's just that the Gold Cup sear has an extra doohickie and spring you don't really need (sear depresser and sear depresser spring). There are limited replacement trigger options because the Gold Gup trigger slot is wider; the vertical grouves in the front strap make it harder to get custom checkering; and the grouve for the sight makes it hard to install a Novak or similar tactical or Bomar adjustable site.

You can use a stock sear and hammer, but the extra mass of the GC trigger could cause problems as you no longer have the sear depressor to keep it under control.

Replacing the steel GC trigger with an aluminum one (I believe Videki makes on in Gold Cup width) may help with the weight issue.

The GC trigger is too light for year round carry (or any carry IMHO). Winter temps can numb your finger to the point that you will AD before you feel the trigger. It just doesn't make sense to carry a target pistol when so many other solutions are available.

better alternatives

I agree that the Gold Cup is a great pistol, but not really meant
for carry. Is weight a consideration here. The adkistable sights snagging on your shirt could be a real bummer.

JimB

Back
Top Bottom