• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

eForm 1 CLEO info for MA?

Someone here posted that for CLEO info for MA on a eform 1/SBR i should put down

Lt. Col. John E Mawn Jr
470 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01702

Correct?

Also, what do i put down in section "Agency or Department name"
and for "Title of Agency Official" i can abbreviate it as Lt. Col. or should i spell out "Lieutenant Colonel".

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions.
It's my first eForm 1/SBR and i don't want to mess it up.
TIA

I used the chief of police in my town as the CLEO, and sent him the required hard copy of the form. Putting down the colonel of the MSP will only confuse things and may invite unnecessary attention.

The SBR was approved, and I was asked about the NFA form I had emailed a few months prior. It was for converting an AK pistol into a SBR. He commented that was a good thing to do since the AK does not handle well as a pistol.

Last edited:
Someone here posted that for CLEO info for MA on a eform 1/SBR i should put down

Lt. Col. John E Mawn Jr
470 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01702

Correct?

Also, what do i put down in section "Agency or Department name"
and for "Title of Agency Official" i can abbreviate it as Lt. Col. or should i spell out "Lieutenant Colonel".

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions.
It's my first eForm 1/SBR and i don't want to mess it up.
TIA
To actually answer your question, Yes, John Mawn is correct.

Put Massachusetts State Police for agency.

Spell out Lieutenant Colonel.

I also use my local department, The only advantage of using the state police that I can think of is the form 1 Application won't end up in your file at the local PD with all your permit and 03 renewal applications, The State police will more than likely discard it. This is just not a concern of mine, I am in a gun friendly town and my file is pretty thick anyway.

And the PRO/CON of inputing MASS Police vs your town CLEO?
If your town CLEO is anti-gun, they can make your life hell. I’ve heard of stories from people on this forum being told they’d be charged with violating the AWB for building an SBR. Mass Police don’t give a shit.

I used the chief of police in my town as the CLEO, and sent him the required hard copy of the form. Putting down the colonel of the MSP will only confuse things and may invite unnecessary attention.
How so? I used the MSP for my SBRs, no confusion or unnecessary attention for any of them.

If your town CLEO is anti-gun, they can make your life hell. I’ve heard of stories from people on this forum being told they’d be charged with violating the AWB for building an SBR. Mass Police don’t give a shit.
I’m in Quincy and think I have a new COP.
I don’t know his stance on 2A.
And I have to renew my LTC next year.
So I guess better safe than sorry with inputing STATIE
thx

Did you have to Upload a pic of your LTC on your eForm 1/SBR?

How so? I used the MSP for my SBRs, no confusion or unnecessary attention for any of them.
I would venture a guess, that if you do live in a anti-gun town and the state police happen to forward the app to your local PD it may put extra scrutiny on you and the application by the CLEO.
If you are not in a anti-gun it won't matter because they don't really care they just receive it from the state police and file, it. Hard to say what the practice actually is.

thx
Regardless of the new cop's stance, he can't deny the form 1 or the LTC renewal. (Especially post Bruen) I would be more inclined to get out Infront of it than try to hide it..... but that's just me.

I would venture a guess, that if you do live in a anti-gun town and the state police happen to forward the app to your local PD it may put extra scrutiny on you and the application by the CLEO.
If you are not in a anti-gun it won't matter because they don't really care they just receive it from the state police and file, it. Hard to say what the practice actually is.
I live in one of the most anti-gun towns in MA and have had more than one Form 1 sent to MSP, not a single thing has happened. I’d love to see just 1 example of MSP doing exactly what you said.

MSP doesn’t give a shit about Form 1s. In fact, previously they used to send you back letters saying that they don’t want your form 1s and they would ask that you forward them to your local CLEO instead. This used to be perfect proof of notification, which was one other added benefit to going with MSP. However, it appears they’ve stopped sending out those letters.

I live in one of the most anti-gun towns in MA and have had more than one Form 1 sent to MSP, not a single thing has happened. I’d love to see just 1 example of MSP doing exactly what you said.

MSP doesn’t give a shit about Form 1s. In fact, previously they used to send you back letters saying that they don’t want your form 1s and they would ask that you forward them to your local CLEO instead. This used to be perfect proof of notification, which was one other added benefit to going with MSP. However, it appears they’ve stopped sending out those letters.
The fact you never sent one to your local PD will always have you guessing, there is nothing they can do about the application unless they have disqualifying info to provide to the ATF. MSP could have done exactly like I said, Even more likely now with the lack of a letter incoming and you would never know because the app just gets filed, you're not really hiding anything is my point and it may bring more attention at the perceived attempt to.

Honestly you are the first person I have heard that has dose it like this, so it is not a very common practice, also something that may raise eyebrows. just my .02

I have never heard a peep from My PD about Form 1 , or 03 application or renewals.

thx
I also live in Quincy and don’t think the new CoP will change anything. Under the previous CoP, I mailed them 3 forms within a year. Renewed last year and the process was show up with application, pay, update photo, and wait for new LTC in mail.

I also live in Quincy and don’t think the new CoP will change anything. Under the previous CoP, I mailed them 3 forms within a year. Renewed last year and the process was show up with application, pay, update photo, and wait for new LTC in mail.
Hi neighbor
Thats great to hear on Renewal process. How far ahead would you suggest on renewing?
Also, can you please put down the new Quincy COP info as it would be filled in the eForm 1 CLEO section?
Feel free to PM me
Thanks so much

Hi neighbor
Thats great to hear on Renewal process. How far ahead would you suggest on renewing?
Also, can you please put down the new Quincy COP info as it would be filled in the eForm 1 CLEO section?
Thanks so much
Renew a month or two advance just because it’s Massachusetts and everything is slow.

Just fill in whatever it says. Mark Kennedy, Chief of Police, Quincy Police Department, and address.

Did you print the renewal application from the QPD site and showed up with it filled out?
Do they want cash or check for the Renewal Fee?

I've always only used MSP. The colonel has changed over the years but the result hasn't, approved every single one. IMHO using the MSP out of Framingham is the best option. Highest probability of getting tossed by the local intern working incoming mail

Back
Top Bottom