• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going on a road trip from MA to VT....

north woods lawr? AST? i think they both have done it.

I think I've seen the same thing on both of them.

Unless someone is shooting across the road, or in close proximity to houses, I don't really see the problem. IIRC, in Alaska you only have to be like 15' off the road before you can shoot. So you bag the guy for not walking 15'? I feel so much safer now that you arrested him. [rolleyes]

truth, completely spaced that. derp.

NH almost repealed that shit but some douchebags from F&G protested it making up some bullshit claim like "but the gun could go off if a car got in a wreck and hurt a first responder" or some crap like that. Maybe on the next repeal attempt they will at least allow a magazine to be inserted in the gun at least. Baby steps.

-Mike

Understood. I live in Metrowest and was just up in Manchester, VT last weekend. We drove Route 2 out to Williamstown and took Route 7 north. It's the long way, but a pretty drive.

That is a great drive, I like to run that road on the bike. At least I did, until I got behind that meathead in a 4Runner going 5 mph under the speed limit. I swear, 4Runner owners are the most pretentious dopes I've ever seen, with the exception of BMW owners. Seems like every one of them has the thought that they're above the rest of us because they drive a "real SUV", so they say. It's just an overgrown grocery getter.

That is a great drive, I like to run that road on the bike. At least I did, until I got behind that meathead in a 4Runner going 5 mph under the speed limit. I swear, 4Runner owners are the most pretentious dopes I've ever seen, with the exception of BMW owners. Seems like every one of them has the thought that they're above the rest of us because they drive a "real SUV", so they say. It's just an overgrown grocery getter.

Having owned a 4Runner, it is a real SUV. Body-on-frame, solid-rear-axle, two-speed transfer case. All the 4th gens had a lockable, limited slip, Torsen center-diff. On the 5th gens, the Limited has the Torsen, but the other trim lines have a part-time system. I took mine out on the beach every year.

And I seldom intentionally drove 5 mph under the limit back when I had my 4Runner. Now I drive a Land Cruiser, so I guess that makes me even more pretentious. [wink]

Squished, apply for the NH non res when you get home. It's cheap and easy. The drive out to Rt 2 to 91 is nice but long from our neck of the woods. (Pretty sure you're in the same town as me)
We got our last pup from VT. So nice to carry on like normal through 3 states without a care. I still have'nt gotten my ME non res but plan to soon.

Squished, apply for the NH non res when you get home. It's cheap and easy. The drive out to Rt 2 to 91 is nice but long from our neck of the woods. (Pretty sure you're in the same town as me)
We got our last pup from VT. So nice to carry on like normal through 3 states without a care. I still have'nt gotten my ME non res but plan to soon.

I think Maine went constitutional carry, no permit required. I certainly hope so or I have broken some serious laws once or twice.

I think Maine went constitutional carry, no permit required. I certainly hope so or I have broken some serious laws once or twice.

Yes they did, last October. Only caveat is it is "must notify" if you are pulled over if you don't have a license. Which blows chunks... I mean not sure how they're going to sniff that out, but it still sucks.

-Mike

Yes they did, last October. Only caveat is it is "must notify" if you are pulled over if you don't have a license. Which blows chunks... I mean not sure how they're going to sniff that out, but it still sucks.

-Mike

I didn't know about the "must notify" thing. If I am pulled over I going to jump out the car and yell "I have a gun"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can literally have the (unloaded) handgun on a holster on your belt with a magazine right next to it, and pop the magazine in the moment you get out of your car. Open carry is legal without a permit.

I thought carrying concealed in New Hampshire without a permit, the mag has to be out of the gun while walking around? Like put it in your other pocket.

that's for resident permits. there's a huge backlog right now for non-resident permits. they aren't processing them anywhere as fast as they used to.

No kidding. My renewal was sent in to NH on 1/23, day after I received the form & reminder from them. They haven't cashed the check yet.

Remember, if you see signs in French, make a U turn. IIRC, the current Ontario penal code is 1000 years per round + eternal damnation (Although officially there is no God or after life).

Watch out.

He better not cross into NH at all then!

6358469067452486941405868705_new-hampshire-welcome-sign.jpg

The concern is when the road signs only have kilometers on them. :)

I think I've seen the same thing on both of them.

Unless someone is shooting across the road, or in close proximity to houses, I don't really see the problem. IIRC, in Alaska you only have to be like 15' off the road before you can shoot. So you bag the guy for not walking 15'? I feel so much safer now that you arrested him. [rolleyes]

Haven't hunted VT in awhile but it used to be you only had to step off the traveled portion of the road .

From the VT hunting and fishing abstracts .

Transporting Firearms & Crossbows in Motor Vehicles: A person shall not carry or possess while in or on a vehicle propelled by mechanical power or drawn by a vehicle propelled by mechanical power within the right of way of a public highway a rifle or shotgun containing a loaded cartridge or shell in the chamber, mechanism, or in a magazine or clip within a rifle or shotgun, or a muzzleloading rifle or muzzleloading shotgun that has been charged with powder and projectile and the ignition system of which has been enabled by having an affixed or attached percussion cap, primer, battery, or priming powder. Unless it is uncocked, a person shall not possess or transport a crossbow in or on a motor vehicle, motorboat, airplane, snowmobile, ATV, or ther motor-propelled craft or any vehicle drawn by a motorpropelled vehicle. Road Hunting: A person shall not take or attempt to take any wild animal by shooting a firearm, muzzleloader, bow and arrow or crossbow while on or within 25 feet of the traveled portion of a public highway, except a public highway designated Class 4 on a town highway map. A person while on or within the traveled portion of a Class 4 public highway shall not take or attempt to take any wild animal by shooting a firearm, muzzleloader, bow and arrow, or crossbow. It is illegal to shoot a firearm, muzzleloader, bow and arrow, or crossbow over or across the travelled portion of a public highway. Violators are subject to a fine of up to $1,000.

VT laws are simple.

If you are legal to own the gun, there's no law against concealing it. A few places are not legal to carry in, most of them due to Federal restriction anyways. Plus all courthouses.

Have an ID with you (so you won't have a problem), in the very unlikely chance you get stopped.

No loaded long arms in the car. Rifles or shotguns. This is a fish and game law, and it's about stupid accidents during deer season, not poaching.

If it's loaded, don't even touch the car, on or off road, makes no difference.

If you're going to be in the Bristol or Middlebury area, let me know.

He better not cross into NH at all then!

6358469067452486941405868705_new-hampshire-welcome-sign.jpg

The concern is when the road signs only have kilometers on them. :)

Yeah, if it says "Maximum 100" that's probably in km *and* in French.

I don't think it's possible to drive inadvertently into Canada any more. There used to be places where you could be cruising down some back road and the border was just marked with a small sign, like a state border in the US. Blink and you missed it. I think they closed the last of those in the 1980s.

I realize the guy's just trying to clarify gun laws, but this is what I thought of when I saw the thread:

Last edited by a moderator:

-Mike

I believe too that places like Acadia National Park require you to have a permit to carry there still.

While you're in NH federal transportation laws apply, not a big deal. Unloaded, locked in a case, I think separately from ammunition, don't linger in NH.
Please read nh laws before spewing shit like this

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Understood. I live in Metrowest and was just up in Manchester, VT last weekend. We drove Route 2 out to Williamstown and took Route 7 north. It's the long way, but a pretty drive.
You were right in my neck of the woods. If you take that route again, take Rt 2 to Route 8, to Route 9, it's a great drive. It's more rural than Rt 2 & 7.

Going on a little road trip this weekend....MA resident CCW permit holder. If I understand this right I can bring my firearm with me, transporting it locked through NH and then carry it as much as I want in VT correct since VT has no permits? Do not have a NH license. If that's the case I'm looking forward to seeing what freedom feels like!

I'm up here now as well, any chance you're here for the pond hockey classic? Gonna be a cold one tomorrow!

that's for resident permits. there's a huge backlog right now for non-resident permits. they aren't processing them anywhere as fast as they used to.

This, my original I had back in about 5 days, my renewal took months. They even sent my application back saying my mass ltc was expired and they circled the 'issued on date' as proof... sent it back circling the actual expiration date and wrote 'no its not', I dont think they liked that as it still took another month plus to get my renewal back.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll be up in the woods in Montgomery. Just wanted to make sure I was in the clear for carrying concealed while there, which I now know I definitely am. Looking forward to a quiet week there.

Back
Top Bottom