Going on a road trip from MA to VT....

Going on a little road trip this weekend....MA resident CCW permit holder. If I understand this right I can bring my firearm with me, transporting it locked through NH and then carry it as much as I want in VT correct since VT has no permits? Do not have a NH license. If that's the case I'm looking forward to seeing what freedom feels like!

for travel through NH if you're gonna have your gun on you it's going to need to be unloaded as it's technically concealed when in a vehicle. open carry outside the vehicle is fine without a permit. so clearing the chamber, dropping the mag and throwing it in your coffee cup holder until you get to VT is perfectly legal.

no lawr in VT so you're good as soon as you cross the line.

for travel through NH if you're gonna have your gun on you it's going to need to be unloaded as it's technically concealed when in a vehicle. open carry outside the vehicle is fine without a permit. so clearing the chamber, dropping the mag and throwing it in your coffee cup holder until you get to VT is perfectly legal.

no lawr in VT so you're good as soon as you cross the line.

I was just going to leave it locked in the carrying case till I crossed the border since I don't have a NH license. Once I hit VT though from what i can tell I just go back to normal.

While you're in NH federal transportation laws apply, not a big deal. Unloaded, locked in a case, I think separately from ammunition, don't linger in NH.

While you're in NH federal transportation laws apply, not a big deal. Unloaded, locked in a case, I think separately from ammunition, don't linger in NH.

Not going to linger....just making a pit stop for a snack. 4.5 hour drive.

thanks for the info guys.

Wrong. Federal transport laws only apply if local laws are more stringent. NH transport law applies, which is simply unloaded. No need for case or lock. Stay in NH as long as you want.

You can literally have the (unloaded) handgun on a holster on your belt with a magazine right next to it, and pop the magazine in the moment you get out of your car. Open carry is legal without a permit.

Wrong. Federal transport laws only apply if local laws are more stringent. NH transport law applies, which is simply unloaded. No need for case or lock. Stay in NH as long as you want.

You can literally have the (unloaded) handgun on a holster on your belt with a magazine right next to it, and pop the magazine in the moment you get out of your car. Open carry is legal without a permit.

absolutely all this.

If you want to carry the entire way, you could just drive west in MA to I91, then north directly into VT. Thus no need to disarm. Might be a longer ride for you, however.

If you want to carry the entire way, you could just drive west in MA to I91, then north directly into VT. Thus no need to disarm. Might be a longer ride for you, however.

Coming from the North shore....will try and hit I91 asap but heading out there first is way out of the way.

Perhaps too late for this trip, but just apply for your NH concealed carry permit already. You will get the permit in less than two weeks.

Going on a little road trip this weekend....MA resident CCW permit holder. If I understand this right I can bring my firearm with me, transporting it locked through NH and then carry it as much as I want in VT correct since VT has no permits? Do not have a NH license. If that's the case I'm looking forward to seeing what freedom feels like!

Lol.

I think they probably ban having LOADED long guns in motor vehicles. That's about it.

-Mike

Last edited:
Perhaps too late for this trip, but just apply for your NH concealed carry permit already. You will get the permit in less than two weeks.

that's for resident permits. there's a huge backlog right now for non-resident permits. they aren't processing them anywhere as fast as they used to.

I love this drive. Then again, I live in central MA now and western MA is that much closer. When I lived on the north shore and heard someone tell me this (what M1911 suggested), I would've said the same as Squished.

The drive west is very relaxing and makes for a great pre-VT primer. Carrying the whole time is a plus, but the drive, especially in the fall and spring are golden. You almost forget that you're in the same state once you hit Orange.

Enjoy and if you happen to be near Manchester Center, VT make sure to eat at Up for Breakfast. They have the best Morning Glory pancakes.

Coming from the North shore....will try and hit I91 asap but heading out there first is way out of the way.

Understood. I live in Metrowest and was just up in Manchester, VT last weekend. We drove Route 2 out to Williamstown and took Route 7 north. It's the long way, but a pretty drive.

nope. in fact they actually just repealed the only gun law they had on the books--you can now own suppressors in VT. [mg]

And yet crime involving firearms is negligible in Vermont. If only it were possible to figure out why. Oh well.

Remember, if you see signs in French, make a U turn. IIRC, the current Ontario penal code is 1000 years per round + eternal damnation (Although officially there is no God or after life).

Watch out.

nope. in fact they actually just repealed the only gun law they had on the books--you can now own suppressors in VT. [mg]

Yeah, they do have a law or some kind of a reg against loaded long guns in an MV, I don't know what the penalty is though.

I don't even know if there is a single state in the US that allows that. I could have sworn there were one or two states out west that allowed loaded long guns, but only under certain circumstances. Most states ban it as part of a stupid hunting law, to hedge against poaching, eg, the old bullshit of "drivem my old pickemup truck around n choot a deer out da winder" thing.

-Mike

Yeah, they do have a law or some kind of a reg against loaded long guns in an MV, I don't know what the penalty is though.

I don't even know if there is a single state in the US that allows that. I could have sworn there were one or two states out west that allowed loaded long guns, but only under certain circumstances. Most states ban it as part of a stupid hunting law, to hedge against poaching, eg, the old bullshit of "drivem my old pickemup truck around n choot a deer out da winder" thing.

-Mike

truth, completely spaced that. derp.

has VT even done that?
Yes. It's illegal to have a loaded long gun in your car in VT. It's part of the hunting laws, not the gun laws, but it's still a law.

Edit: JRT beat me.

In any event, enjoy your drive through Vermont. I'd say to honk if you drive by a house with a bunch of cars and an old busted-ass square-body GMC next to the garage, but if you do, you'll probably honk 20 times an hour. [smile]

-Mike

I agree that the laws are stupid, but I'm pretty sure that people used to do that, heck some probably still do.

I've watched some of those reality shows where they follow around a fish cop. The fish cops put out a decoy near the road and wait until some moron stops their truck, gets out but doesn't walk the prescribed number of feet before shooting at it. The fish cops get a hard-on and come racing out from their hiding place to arrest the evil perpetrator.

So, it does happen. I'm not sure I support the decoy crap -- seems like the fish cops are basically increasing the possibility of a problem, rather than preventing one.

Any regs against this?

Minivan-9750.jpg

I've watched some of those reality shows where they follow around a fish cop. The fish cops put out a decoy near the road and wait until some moron stops their truck, gets out but doesn't walk the prescribed number of feet before shooting at it. The fish cops get a hard-on and come racing out from their hiding place to arrest the evil perpetrator.

So, it does happen. I'm not sure I support the decoy crap -- seems like the fish cops are basically increasing the possibility of a problem, rather than preventing one.

north woods lawr? AST? i think they both have done it.

Back
Top Bottom