• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going on a road trip from MA to VT....

That is what I understood as well. I think ME is still looking to capitalize on those non res license vacation dollars.

I doubt they have given a thought to the revenue from non-res licenses. I doubt that ME makes much on processing the non-res licenses. The fee isn't that large and personnel to conduct the background checks cost money.

Not going to linger....just making a pit stop for a snack. 4.5 hour drive.

thanks for the info guys.

Its amazing how difficult it is to get MA serfs to realize that there is freedom all around us.

NH is very simple without a P&R license (like a MA LTC). Keep the gun unloaded while driving through NH.

That can mean as little as removing the round and emptying the chamber, then putting the mag in the center console of the car. Done. Legal.

Don

I believe too that places like Acadia National Park require you to have a permit to carry there still.

There is a benefit to having a carry license even if you are in a state with Constitutional carry.

The "Gun Free School Zone Act" prohibits the carry within 1000 ft of a school zone.

In Unites States v Tait it was determined that this is unreasonably restrictive since in certain cities, it would be impossible to move without a crossing a school zone. So now "licensed" people are exempted from the Act provided they are otherwise acting legally.

So if you care, and you want to carry in places like CT, VT, NH, or ME (all places where you can carry some type of firearm without a license) , you may want to get a license anyway.

Don

There is a benefit to having a carry license even if you are in a state with Constitutional carry.

The "Gun Free School Zone Act" prohibits the carry within 1000 ft of a school zone.

In Unites States v Tait it was determined that this is unreasonably restrictive since in certain cities, it would be impossible to move without a crossing a school zone. So now "licensed" people are exempted from the Act provided they are otherwise acting legally.

So if you care, and you want to carry in places like CT, VT, NH, or ME (all places where you can carry some type of firearm without a license) , you may want to get a license anyway.

Don

Huh? I just read the case here http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-11th-circuit/1177168.html and see no mention of "crossing a school zone". Tait was accused of actually holding a gun to someone in a school.

Tait was on high school property, an obvious “school zone,” at the time of his alleged criminal conduct.

Did I miss something here?

Also this was the 11th District Court. I don't know if NH, VT or ME are in the 1st District (like MA) or 2nd District, but a ruling in one district doesn't automatically follow in another district.

Additionally a provision of the GFZ is that you hold a license issued in the state the GFZ is in, so reciprocal or recognized licenses from another state doesn't give you a pass. There is more to the requirements than this, but for this discussion this should suffice.

Nope, you did not miss anything. I cited the wrong case.

I'll correct it tomorrow.

Either way. My point that a (resident) carry license in a constitutional carry state still has the benefit of "authorizing" you to cross the 1000 ft boundaries still stands.

Most states that have constitutional carry still offer some kind of carry license in case you want one. The obvious benefit is reciprocity.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom