GOAL Letter to AG

So now they will change the time limit to one year, allow as many letters as the COP deems necessary, and allow making club membership mandatory. She sucks

Absolutely do this, but please clean it up first so it doesn't look like it was written by a 9 year old.

The lack of (qualified) proofreading has plagued GOAL for a long time now. It's tough to take an organization seriously when you're more focused on how poorly something is written than the actual message.

Last edited:
The lack of (qualified) proofreading has plagued GOAL for a long time now. It's tough to take an organization seriously when you're more focused on how poorly something is written than the actual message.
Yep, as soon as you see a grammatical error it totally takes your focus off of the purpose of the piece.
I volunteer to be a GOAL proof reader.

Send the letter to an agency or department head that has a rivalry with the group causing licensing difficulties. Find the personality conflicts within the administration and use them. You might not get your objectives completed on their merits but a win is a win.

Send the letter to an agency or department head that has a rivalry with the group causing licensing difficulties. Find the personality conflicts within the administration and use them. You might not get your objectives completed on their merits but a win is a win.

The trouble is, this is not a private business. There is no "rival" to a town police chief really. That said, to the list of thousands of contacts who should have received this by now, should be the boards of selectmen and city councilors in every town and city in the commonwealth. GOAL, did this also go out to them? Hello? GOAL? GOAL?

Hopefully they're listening in regards to the number of people/agencies who've received the letter. Sending one copy to the one person in the state who is arguably the least receptive to your cause almost seems like a waste of time. I agree it should of been a wider effort reaching out to a broad group of politicians, media outlets, agencies, blogs, the NRA, etc.

Is any effort being made to reach average citizens who arent necessarily "gun people"? A brief pamphlet showing the lack of a connection between stringent gun regulations and lower crime rates, stats like the 8k home invasions a day, violent crime rates, etc, would at least put it into the minds of these potential voters and possibly change some minds or at least educate some folks who otherwise dont think twice about guns. A relatively small amount of people hunt or target shoot, but everyone goes to bed at night, lots of people have kids or others who depend on them for protection. Thousands of people live, work, or have to travel through un-safe neighborhoods or use shady public transportation. Thats an opportunity to bring it to them on a level that they can relate to. Point out that the world is not always a safe place, that they have a right to defend themselves, and that the state is making that as difficult as possible. Over time, you're creating more like-minded individuals who are sympathetic to your cause and now its not such a mission-impossible.

Just my two cents.

Any reason we shouldn't forward an amended copy of the letter to our local legislators (aside from the obvious fact that don't give a crap)?

I was waiting to see if anyone else posted about the 40 days, but I didnt see it so here it goes. First off, I agree that the whole licensing system is bunk and takes way too long, and every outlet blames the other for delays. Second, most PD's that I know of are praying for the day that we dont have to do licensing anymore, should be off the PD's hands if all these other agencies have different parts in it. I just hope that GOAL did the proper homework (which Im leery of since they didnt even proof read their letter) and realize that the 40 days under the law states that there is 40 days for the license to be "approved". In a nutshell, this means that from the day you drop of the application and it is actually entered into MIRCS, there is 40 days to click the approved button which then sends it back to FRB to get printed and sent. There could be several, several factors after this happens why it takes longer for the person to get their license, but I hope the examples they use are actually one that went over the 40 days to be "approved", otherwise they will look like a bunch of idiots and essentailly make things worse (my opinion). In my short time as a LO, the average time is 4 weeks from app into MIRCS until I get AFIS results back which is when I get to approve the license. Then its usually another 4 weeks to get the license in hand if everything is good to go, but the 40 days to be approved is almost always met because obviously there are 28 days in 4 weeks.

In a nutshell, this means that from the day you drop of the application and it is actually entered into MIRCS, there is 40 days to click the approved button which then sends it back to FRB to get printed and sent.

Which is why some towns take 4-5 MONTHS just to get an appointment to apply. It seems to me that the law should be interpreted to mean that from the day I take my course and indicate my desire to get a license, the clock should start ticking.

@WPDC13,

So I drop off my application, at the station and then it takes 10 days to get a call from the p.d. for an appointment that ends up being scheduled 35 days from there. At the appt., Im printed and the pic is taken, and the info is entered into the computer by the LO. When the info is entered into the system at the station, that's when the clock starts as far as the 40 day limit goes, is that correct?

Last edited:
Which is why some towns take 4-5 MONTHS just to get an appointment to apply. It seems to me that the law should be interpreted to mean that from the day I take my course and indicate my desire to get a license, the clock should start ticking.

Agreed. Or at least, the clock should start ticking for them when I drop off the paper application at the p.d. I dont see any reason why NH consistently gets it done in 14 days from door to door, while MA takes a week and a half to get a call to make an appointment 2-3 months from then, and then wait another 2 months at the least for most, and even longer for a lot of others.

So I drop off my application, at the station and then it takes 10 days to get a call from the p.d. for an appointment that ends up being scheduled 35 days from there. At the appt., Im printed and the pic is taken, and the info is entered into the computer by the LO. When the info is entered into the system at the station, that's when the clock starts as far as the 40 day limit goes, is that correct?

Correct. Like I said, I dont agree with it, but thats when the clock starts, and just remember, the 40 days has nothing to do with when you actually receive your license, that clock stops the minute the LO clicks "approve" and then it gets sent to FRB. Fortunately I can handle ours because its a small town, but Im gueesing the problems are in the bigger towns that have someone that is probably anti-2A and is forced to do the licensing. The whole thing needs to be revamped, the 40 day thing is just a small piece. And now, the towns that were trying to push licenses through and handling checks in-house for renewals are having them kicked back by FRB because they are actually checking with the State to see if the AFIS results were back yet.

No wonder some cities and towns take 6 months, it's bright ideas like some of the ones I just read, as to why our system is so ****ed in the first place.

It wouldnt hurt for them to be a bit more open about whats going on either. My LO pretty much refused to give me a straight answer when i asked about who to talk to regarding when it would be in. Basically told me not to call him because he wouldnt answer, and said FRB would not answer either. I know FL assigns a serial # to the non-res. app.'s so you can check automatically from a touchtone phone. At least you would have a bit of an idea of where in the process it is.

Yeah that sucks, I am completely honest with people and tell them not to bother calling for at least 8 weeks (I am very pro-2A and esentially have my sh*t together). I cant imagine some of these other depts and the people that are forced to be LO's, they just dont care. The guy you speak of has probably had so many calls that he just became disgruntled and is now an ass. I try to be sympathetic with people because it does suck, but on the other hand, I hate getting 10 visits or calls at the 4 week mark when I said dont bother until 8....

Tewksbury me and my brother called the department the same day I called first got the soonest appointment. (1 month from that day) my brother called right after me he got a appointment the day before.

I got mine 9 months to the day I got finger printed etc my brother 11 weeks.

Send it!

@WPDC13,

Thats understandable. FWIW, this guy was professional and courteous, but just wouldnt budge on the topic of inquiring about the status.

I was told a min. of 2 months plus another week or two because I have a bit of a record. According to him, people with no record all come back in one batch while people with a record come straggling back one or two at a time. (IIRC)

Anyway, thanks for the insight.

Yeah that it true, and I had to learn the hard way that the most severe abuses of the 40 days comes when someone has a sealed record or something on microfilm. I had to wait like 3 months on both!!! Unacceptable any way you slice it

FWIW, this is an election year for some folks. My Rep is up so I thought it would be good to send an email with Jim's letter and some of my own comments. Told the guy I am a supporter of him in his reelection and also a concerned gun owner. Asked him to contact Marcia as well as Secretary Galvin about our concerns.

Even if nothing changes, the notification will be a reminder that gun owners do vote.

FWIW, this is an election year for some folks. My Rep is up so I thought it would be good to send an email with Jim's letter and some of my own comments. Told the guy I am a supporter of him in his reelection and also a concerned gun owner. Asked him to contact Marcia as well as Secretary Galvin about our concerns.

Even if nothing changes, the notification will be a reminder that gun owners do vote.

Even if they aren't pro-2A they should support abiding the law. However we all know the only thing they truly support is selective enforcement. I will do the same but don't expect them to reply one way or another.

+1

This is an election year. They will be listening. Email your reps, especially if they are up.

Now if someone would just call the AG to the carpet on the crooked scam that is her top-secret list of handguns that are deemed safe for consumers.

Back
Top Bottom