• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL has only..........

The reality is that they didn't have the votes to stop it. They did what they could, but if you don't have the votes there isn't much you can do.

Worse yet, it was a "bag job".

The original bill went into a "special committee" (hand selected with an agenda) and came out with a totally different bill (Ch. 180). IIRC this all took place within 5 days or less. Legislators were THREATENED with loss of committee chairmanships (= more money in salary, larger staff, larger office space, etc.) if they voted against it . . . the threats were by the LEADERSHIP. No amendments would be accepted and it was a slam dunk. [The above info was told to me directly by my State Rep who I've known for >20 years.]

GOAL was "on the outside" during this process and had no ability to actually kill this bill. Almost no legislators got to actually read it before voting on it (another intentional tactic) either.

Worse yet, it was a "bag job".

The original bill went into a "special committee" (hand selected with an agenda) and came out with a totally different bill (Ch. 180). IIRC this all took place within 5 days or less. Legislators were THREATENED with loss of committee chairmanships (= more money in salary, larger staff, larger office space, etc.) if they voted against it . . . the threats were by the LEADERSHIP. No amendments would be accepted and it was a slam dunk. [The above info was told to me directly by my State Rep who I've known for >20 years.]

GOAL was "on the outside" during this process and had no ability to actually kill this bill. Almost no legislators got to actually read it before voting on it (another intentional tactic) either.

That is terrible!!!! Democracy thown out the window of the State House[angry]

I am currently not a member, though I did only file my LTC paperwork, prints and pic yesterday. I'm still pretty new to the organized end of things. GOAL does seem to be the smarter first join, in my opinion.

some people aren't going to like to hear this but, i'm not a member, and the way i see it is look at the laws in mass, possibly the worst in the nation, goal has failed, why would I give them(waste) money, they've already proven themselves *totally* ineffective. Same with the NRA, I don't even think the nra knows mass exists.

Wringing your hands and thinking that nothing can be done is just what the anti-2A liberal fascists want.
|
|
|
V

some people aren't going to like to hear this but, i'm not a member, and the way i see it is look at the laws in mass, possibly the worst in the nation, goal has failed, why would I give them(waste) money, they've already proven themselves *totally* ineffective. Same with the NRA, I don't even think the nra knows mass exists.

[RANT]I agree, but since I plan on getting the f*ck out of this state ASAP, I am very concerned about being an NRA member since I need them to keep my options open. As I see it, MA is a lost cause and the best option is to get the hell out of here before its too late. Fortunately, my existing LTC should last long enough to cover me until I leave. The NRA has better things to do with its money than throw it away on MA. Your much better putting the $30 a year you save from not being a GOAL member toward an investment fund to move out of MA.[/RANT]

Last edited:
I agree, but since I plan on getting the f*ck out of this state ASAP, I am very concerned about being an NRA member since I need them to keep my options open. As I see it, MA is a lost cause and the best option is to get the hell out of here before its too late. Fortunately, my existing LTC should last long enough to cover me until I leave. The NRA has better things to do with its money than throw it away on MA. Your much better putting the $30 a year you save from not being a GOAL member toward an investment fund to move out of MA.

So, Nitro has two accounts? I have said before that I left the ranks of sportsmen, but I am back and have an attitude towards the do nothings who would rather sit back and do squat to protect the God given RKBA. I was a rifle owner who let "LIFETIME" FID expire, and when my cousin's 11 yo. got me back into outdoor life again I figured that $100 for FID would be better applied to aquisition of LTC and the rest is history. GOAL is the best bet when it comes to retention of our rights. Either fish or cut bait, it's that simple.

That doesn't surprise me seeing as only about 5% of American gun owners are in the NRA. See my two signature lines below. The apathy of the majority of gun owners is astounding. Most have never done one thing to protect their rights.

Something as simple as monitoring the local newspapers and responding in kind with well written letters goes a long way towards public perception.

When I lived in MA, I read the Boston Herald daily. For six years I responded to anti gun letters, several from Kerry or Kennedy, over 100 of my letters were published in the Herald. Not blowing my own kazoo, just pointing out that a well written letter that takes 10 minutes to write may have a positive impact on hundreds, potentially thousands of people.

Craig

I'm amazed by the lack of support for GOAL by Mass firearms owners.[thinking] If it were not for GOAL we would be lucky to own a single shot .22 never mind have the ability to carry for SD. GOAL's efforts have stopped Mass from becoming a D.C. type city with no CCW or even SD laws(Such as the Castle doctrine).

I wonder though if the statistics include LEO LTCs? Not all LEO's are into firearms and even the ones who are may not feel the urgent need to spend $$ for services they think they don't need? If you take every State Trooper, local LEO, all Sheriffs Deputies, Collage Police, Housing Police, MBTA, & assorted local LEO organizations, then maybe that accounts for some of the difference in the number of GOAL members?[thinking]

I'm amazed by the lack of support for GOAL by Mass firearms owners.
Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me at all. A few months back I was interviewing an applicant to our club. He won't join the NRA or GOAL because he considers them too "extreme." [slap]

I've heard some who say they dropped their membership in NRA or GOAL because they felt they were not getting their money's worth. Their "logic" was that they paid their ~$35 annual dues and we still don't have shall-issue licensing, so clearly the NRA/GOAL aren't doing anything.

I've heard some who say they dropped their membership in NRA or GOAL because they felt they were not getting their money's worth. Their "logic" was that they paid their ~$35 annual dues and we still don't have shall-issue licensing, so clearly the NRA/GOAL aren't doing anything.

I love those guys. [thinking]

Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me at all. A few months back I was interviewing an applicant to our club. He won't join the NRA or GOAL because he considers them too "extreme." [slap]

Pretty effin sad.

Just wishful thinking on my part, but it sure would be nice if GOAL membership was mandated before a FID or LTC was issued by the state,[smile]

Well, to be honest, I have and continue to be disappointed in the NRA's efforts in Mass[sad]. But regardless, I am a life member because they are primarily a National Organization. I can't afford to join every Pro 2nd organization, but I can at the minimum, be a standing member of the NRA & GOAL.

I just wish I could hit one of those multi million dollar lotteries so I could finance legal attacks on every anti group possible, as well as support for every pro 2nd legislation willing to be filed/submitted!

I recently met a guy with a LTC class A "no restrictions" who got that LTC from Falmouth Ma(A Black town on the LTC map). He owns a bakery and got the LTC for that reason. When he "bragged" about having the unrestricted LTC, I informed him that I had the same class LTC. He was outraged and confused how I was issued the LTC A "no restrictions"! I looked him in the eye and said...

"Dude I live in a "normal" town! My CLEO does not discriminate against law abiding citizens who want to defend themselves!"

He responded with a load of fertilizer about how only people with a "need" to have a weapon should get an LTC! He was pretty "miffed" about me having one. He even demaned to see it because he didn't believe me. So I pulled it out and only wished I had a camera to record the look on his face![grin]

Last edited:
Here is a guerrilla psy-ops tactic any of us can use to raise awareness for our cause; Take your old issues of "Outdoor Message" and "Americas First Freedom" tear off your name and address, and leave them at places where people are captive to lame reading material. I drop them at work, in the newspaper rack at restaurants, doctors and dentists office's.

Well, to be honest, I have and continue to be disappointed in the NRA's efforts in Mass
The NRA has limited resources. Should they spend it in a state where 1) most of the voters are anti-gun and 2) most of the state legislators and the governor are anti-gun? Or should they spend it in places like WI where they have already passed shall-issue CCW legislation twice, only to have it vetoed by the governor?

The NRA certainly isn't perfect. But I understand why they aren't focusing their efforts on MA.

The NRA has limited resources. Should they spend it in a state where 1) most of the voters are anti-gun and 2) most of the state legislators and the governor are anti-gun? Or should they spend it in places like WI where they have already passed shall-issue CCW legislation twice, only to have it vetoed by the governor?

The NRA certainly isn't perfect. But I understand why they aren't focusing their efforts on MA.

Don't get me wrong M1911, I understand the reasoning behind it, its just that they seem to have totally abandoned us? Look at the Heller case. D.C. was a lost cause and the "responsible" parties have just reaffirmed the 2nd A!

I just wish the NRA could be a bit more involved here in Mass.[thinking]

Don't get me wrong M1911, I understand the reasoning behind it, its just that they seem to have totally abandoned us? Look at the Heller case. D.C. was a lost cause and the "responsible" parties have just reaffirmed the 2nd A!

I just wish the NRA could be a bit more involved here in Mass.[thinking]

I think that if you were to talk to Jim, or Jon over at GOAL, they will tell you that they are more involved than we think.

I just got an e-mail from the NRA letting us know to also write the people in our State House regarding the price increase.

Hey, for all those NRA members that aren't members of GOAL, it reached them.

I'm not saying that they are behind us charging through MA. But my understading is they do more than we realize for this state. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

I would like to add that any MA resident, who visits this forum at all, is evidently involved or interested in one way or an other in firearms and should join GOAL.

Freedom is not free we need to fight for it and keep fighting.

I might not make friends saying this but, If you are not on the front lines fighting this fight then at least back up the people that are.

Join GOAL or you should be ashamed of yourself.

Americans don't sit back and wreak the rewards of others, They offer support. It is sad that we need to fight so hard just to keep these rights but if we give up now it may be irreversible.

IMHO
--Mike

Politics is a dark, dirty game and it is mostly done in dark, smoke-filled rooms, out of the bright lights of the media.

Once you come to grips with that, it makes it very hard to judge "effectiveness" or even "presence" by what you see published/broadcast.

Ch. 180 was created this way . . . monster that it is.

For us to win or defeat other legislation, we (any that are pro-2A) have to fight the fight the same way.

The NRA was not part of DC vs. Heller and actively discouraged it (fearing it would lose). Heller was funded by a philanthropist.

WTF? We're talking about $25-35/year guys! There's NO excuse regardless of how much we think either of them do for us in MA! That's a couple boxes of ammo or a few trips to McDonalds. I have no respect for people that bitch about the gun laws and can't even find a few bucks to join at least GOAL or NRA. Let's not forget all the educational and awareness classes GOAL does to help EDUCATE and INFORM non gun owners. No excuses for anyone... period.

WTF? We're talking about $25-35/year guys! There's NO excuse regardless of how much we think either of them do for us in MA! That's a couple boxes of ammo or a few trips to McDonalds. I have no respect for people that bitch about the gun laws and can't even find a few bucks to join at least GOAL or NRA. Let's not forget all the educational and awareness classes GOAL does to help EDUCATE and INFORM non gun owners. No excuses... period.

+1 Rep point added

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but...

Let's see...if we didn't have GOAL

-Well, we'd be only allowed to buy one gun a month.

That many? In 1976, we damn near turned into another DC; Sheriff Buckley's gun ban referendum was running dead even for a while but ultimately went down by a huge margin in one of the largest election turnouts ever. The organization created to combat it was GOAL.

(I may have some details slightly wrong there, but I can't find squat about it on the net. Anyone want to correct my history?)

Back
Top Bottom