• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Glock Pre Ban Mag$

A "fair" price is whatever someone is willing to pay. I've paid $40. there are people who will pay $100 (or more).

Square notch mags have a longer metal inner lining, and "drop free" when you hit the mag release--sometimes the U notch mags have to be stripped out. Sometimes. I have U notch mags that drop free just fine.

The U notch mags were the earliest version.

$30-$40 is the deal you get from people in your social network.

Pre-Bans usually appear on AR15.com Equipment Exchange after Recoil Gunworks finishes dumping big lots of Police Department trade-in mags.

Guys find pre-bans in whatever used mags they got from Recoil, and put them up for sale on the EE.

No--Recoil Gunworks doesn't ship to MA.

Lol square notch get more $ because they're not junk.

Fair is relative, flippers have caused the prices to go insane.

ETA: there is no "fair" lol
Yeah add on the fact that the only real market for the U notches is MA, due to their clear pre-ban status.

Objectively they are a worse mag design because they swell (intentionally) due to the lack of a metal lining like the square notches have, combined with being ~30+ years old, makes them more susceptible to crack. And they don't work well in most PCCs designed for Glock mags due to having a slightly different geometry at the top.

OP I'd make sure to put in a new spring, clean the mag body and follower well... I'd also make sure to thoroughly function test it before carrying.

Sometimes makes me hesitant to depend on a U notch in a self-defense Glock. I'd not think twice about a metal body preban like an M9 or P226 mag with a new spring.

I ask because I'm no gun expert. I've had my LTC for less than 2 years. I know nothing. So when I see pre-bans on gun broker, I'm just curious if that's the going rate. Or, I should just look elsewhere.

I'll look elsewhere.

I ask because I'm no gun expert. I've had my LTC for less than 2 years. I know nothing. So when I see pre-bans on gun broker, I'm just curious if that's the going rate. Or, I should just look elsewhere.

I'll look elsewhere.
it would be much more sensible just to get 10 new 10rd gen5 magazines than a one beaten up pre-ban.

As long as we're asking mag questions, how do you tell a pre-ban Glock mag from a post-ban one?
I ask because the brand new 15 round mags that I just bought look identical to the ones I've had since 92.

ps. anyone who will be stopped and frisked on the street and found in possession of anything that holds more than 10 rounds will be inviting a whole different level of pain upon himself. not a single cop will give a damn of what you think you have there and when it was made and what is its actual status. i really do not see a point of doing that.
and for home defense, if one is forced to open fire upon an intruder - at this point it is also rather irrelevant, what magazine was in there, as you will lose all your guns anyway. it is how it works in MA.

Last edited:
CA and NJ passed mag limits in 2016 and more recently which ended the grandfathering, so no pre bans allowed. Both of those are in court now, the CA ban will definitely lose in CA federal district in the next few weeks, the NJ is working its way through too. Both cases will be appealed to the circuit court of appeals and SCOTUS.

Old beat up pre bans are not worth it to me, I’ll wait for the bans to fall (it’s coming).

I've always stayed around $40-60 for pre-ban mags. People will post them asking idiotic prices and it's laughable.

As far as identifying them goes, go look at the sticky in MA law section. Suffice it to say people like to believe folk tales without much evidence. I would say avoid anything marked as LEO/mil or with dual release notches and... that's it. IANAL

I've always stayed around $40-60 for pre-ban mags. People will post them asking idiotic prices and it's laughable.

As far as identifying them goes, go look at the sticky in MA law section. Suffice it to say people like to believe folk tales without much evidence. I would say avoid anything marked as LEO/mil or with dual release notches and... that's it. IANAL
People do buy them though for some high prices. I think I sold a bunch of U notches here and I don't think I ever got over $60 though. I used to buy them off gunbroker and resell here or find old mags in Kitteries used mag bin. Unfortunately other people also caught on and I just couldn't find them like I used to. Probably stopped really looking for them by early 2010...

You kept saying that about some unicorn $40 prebans when they were already going for $170 here in ma. :)

Just admit you bought them all when they were brand new, just made from the factory.

The very best way to get Pre-Ban mags cheap is to have friends who live in the South and the South West, who are willing to keep an eye out for you as they prowl local shops and smaller gun shows.

To most people they're just old mags, and they earn their spending money at their day job.

Send out-of-state friends the pictures in the link (maybe even with pointed explanations) so they know how to ID with a fair degree of certainty what they're looking for.

The notion of a "Ban" is pretty foreign to most of the country. It went away for most people almost two decades ago, and they haven't given it a second thought since.

When I joined this forum they were regularly about 50 on here...
you mean back in 2011? perhaps, it is possible. i cannot even recall now when the price started to balloon up, as it went above $150 - for a good square notch ones, of course, and then it was no stopping it.

The best way to tell what something is worth is by seeing what others pay for the same item.

Gunbroker provides that information.

You can also search the NES classifieds:

I would never pay for preban mags.

For now I'll carry cripples......but it won't be long I'll be in a free state and enjoying cheap plentiful standard caps.

The best way to tell what something is worth is by seeing what others pay for the same item.

You had to bump each for 2 to 3 years.

You're almost as crazy as anyone who actually paid those prices. You spent literally years peddling those mags, patiently waiting to take advantage of some newbie gun owner who doesn't know any better. Good for you, I guess :rolleyes:

I'd rather go to Federal PMITA prison than pay those NES prices for Glock mags. LOL

I have never overpaid for a Glock mag. I've never sold preban mags of any sort for a massive profit. It's just not in me. It's hard when the vultures start descending to resell your mags to someone else.

My hope is that Bruen-related decisions will render the whole thing moot in 2 or so years.

You're almost as crazy as anyone who actually paid those prices. You spent literally years peddling those mags, patiently waiting to take advantage of some newbie gun owner who doesn't know any better. Good for you, I guess :rolleyes:
Being that most flippers pick up those things for next to nothing the ROI is high once they find the correct rube/idiot to buy them, so there's that.... 🤣

Being that most flippers pick up those things for next to nothing the ROI is high once they find the correct rube/idiot to buy them, so there's that.... 🤣
i think it was possible to find them may be back in 2015-16 in other states, may be, i think it was 2019 when i asked some of friends i still had in MO to find me some old squared notch glock mags and was told they were all gone, both from stores and gun shows all the same.
but i never cared much to hunt them down, just use new factory 10rd gen5 mags now and do not care.

it is still utterly unrealistic to keep saying that those items can be found now, in 2023, 'easily' for $40-$60. noway nohow nowhere. a $40 preban - it is what it was 10 years ago.

i think it was possible to find them may be back in 2015-16 in other states, may be, i think it was 2019 when i asked some of friends i still had in MO to find me some old squared notch glock mags and was told they were all gone, both from stores and gun shows all the same.
but i never cared much to hunt them down, just use new factory 10rd gen5 mags now and do not care.

it is still utterly unrealistic to keep saying that those items can be found now, in 2023, 'easily' for $40-$60. noway nohow nowhere. a $40 preban - it is what it was 10 years ago.
Actually there are guys with a half dozen of them in their closet who don't even realize they are worth extra.

I've got a guy offering me me eight pre-ban AR mags for the cost of USGI replacements ($12?) and three days later I can't get any of the guys I queried about them to return my emails. He can sell them on the ARFCOM EE but he hates the idea that they'll get scooped up by flippers who will triple the price. He wants them to go to solid 2A guys who actually need them. There are MANY guys who feel that way.

Back
Top Bottom