Getting "tactical" at the range...

Status
Not open for further replies.
a persons range habits are their personal range habits, if a guy wants to put a bipod, tac light, laser, foregrip on an AR-15 then cool, if someone believes only shotguns and bolt action rifles should be owned by civilians....... um ok.......... If you wanna look like a Seal that just took out Bin laden then hey go for it. Me i have my own preferences and i shoot the way that allows me to enjoy myself the most.

I can say for certain that you are doing it wrong... [laugh] That's no fun...

No one says anything to me about my range habits. If they did, I certainly would not concern myself with their feelings.

Didn't happen over night. Over the years I found shorter times on the range=less opportunity to get FUDDed (or whatever). Its the chrono that attracts the attention. Anyways, after such a long time of getting FUDDed (or whatever), going to the range became more like going to work at a job you didn't like. You have to go, but would rather be someplace else. I guess it's kind of like the Pavlov dog thing...over time I began to associate test/chrono visits with general range/trigger time. Now-a-days I have a tough time differentiating between the two.

You need to find a cheeper source for your ammo so you can shoot more! Or maybe you should start reloading?!?
[rofl][laugh][rofl] and most importantly...[wink]

Yup. Now that you mention it, I'm sure that's it....

ETA: I just wasted my 500th post on being a smartass...

Last edited:
Didn't happen over night. Over the years I found shorter times on the range=less opportunity to get FUDDed (or whatever). Its the chrono that attracts the attention. Anyways, after such a long time of getting FUDDed (or whatever), going to the range became more like going to work at a job you didn't like. You have to go, but would rather be someplace else. I guess it's kind of like the Pavlov dog thing...over time I began to associate test/chrono visits with general range/trigger time. Now-a-days I have a tough time differentiating between the two.
When someone breaks out the chrono (which happens more than you might think at the machine gun range), we just goad them into accidentally shooting it. [laugh]

LOWER! You need to really get the bullet down closer to the body of the chrono to get a good reading... A little lower... [laugh]

When someone breaks out the chrono (which happens more than you might think at the machine gun range), we just goad them into accidentally shooting it. [laugh]

LOWER! You need to really get the bullet down closer to the body of the chrono to get a good reading... A little lower... [laugh]

This is what happened to my first chrono. I did it all by myself....didn't need anyone to goad me along. Put a 115gr 9mm FMJ right through the front of a F1 Chrony about 8 years ago or so. I replaced that one with a Chrony Gamma Master and still use it about once a week on average.

This is what happened to my first chrono. I did it all by myself....didn't need anyone to goad me along. Put a 115gr 9mm FMJ right through the front of a F1 Chrony about 8 years ago or so. I replaced that one with a Chrony Gamma Master and still use it about once a week on average.
Next time try aiming a little lower then. [wink]

Ah the joys of plinking in the woods. Really. The whole range thing kills much of the joy of shooting for me. For those that haven't plinked, or shot off a porch you really need to try it.

Ah the joys of plinking in the woods. Really. The whole range thing kills much of the joy of shooting for me. For those that haven't plinked, or shot off a porch you really need to try it.

I imagine shooting off of a porch or in the woods somewhere to be like pissing in a pool or lake...it feels weird, yet oh so comfy and free at the same time.

I imagine shooting off of a porch or in the woods somewhere to be like pissing in a pool or lake...it feels weird, yet oh so comfy and free at the same time.
And you keep looking around thinking someone is going to catch you.

This is pure speculation, of course. Yeah.

i don't think it's bad, like i said it just seemed a tad out of the ordinary at the moment...i just wanted to get opinions.
We had a name for those dudes in the Army.

Sidewalk Commandos.....

Is "Soldier of Fortune" still on the newsstands?[laugh]

If that is "Tac Talk" for "somebody came within a couple of feet of being shot in the back", then yes, that's what I saw as well.[grin]

Looks like the guy went muzzle up before crossing lanes. There was another about to cross but it cut away before he did. Though it looked he was going muzzle up also.

Looks like the guy went muzzle up before crossing lanes. There was another about to cross but it cut away before he did. Though it looked he was going muzzle up also.
It's actually at about the 4:10 mark. The guy shooting on the left side of the screen is just a little too comfortable firing rounds past the back of his buddy fifteen feet in front of him.

I really couldn't care less what people wear to the range as long as it isn't outright offensive or vulgar...

That said, I find that many of the people who wear lots of tactical gear out to the range have absolutely no idea what they're doing - sometimes they are downright hazardous in terms of gun handling. Certainly this is a problem endemic among many shooters, not just these guys. I do take issue with people who dress up and then act like they know everything when it's clear they don't.

I'm disturbed by this reversal where some here clearly believe that shooting at paper from a static position is somehow inferior to shooting in a tacticool manner.

The two ranges that I frequent the most are heavily used by Marines and Navy personnel, many of whom are combat veterans - I've never seen any of them wearing full MOLLE getups or diving/rolling or any of that shit, and they're usually just shooting for fun at paper or clays.

My guess would be that military guys have spent years wearing gear and training in it on a base away from civilians. From what Marines I've talked to, all they seem to remember about tactical gear is how much it weighs and how humping all of it around mile after mile sucks [laugh]

The guys, like me, who haven't spent the years doing it day in an day out still need the practice, so I would assume you'd come across those guys decked out at the local range more often than the 40 year old Marine. I think it's funny to hear people talk about actual operators like they were born knowing how to switch to their secondary, or how that ****ing quick release cable gets re-installed to make your plate carrier whole again after your buddy pulls it on you [rofl]

It's actually at about the 4:10 mark. The guy shooting on the left side of the screen is just a little too comfortable firing rounds past the back of his buddy fifteen feet in front of him.

That guy was wandering a bit. Seemed like the guy behind him saw it happening though.

Anyone who actually takes James Yeager and Tactical Response seriously should Google "James Yeager AAR" and then read the Edinburgh Risk and Security Management article that appeared in Defense Review. It's the second link. There's video of what happened in the fourth link.
Yeah, but he learned from it... [wink]

I don't have anything against someone showing up in full TNPer attire. To each its own. I'll be honest though, I would get a chuckle out of it.
I know that the mall ninja would also get a chuckle of seeing me shooting at a target without doing side rolls. Fair enough.

I just want to make some silly steel targets go down as fast as possible...

Sooo, did we ever get a definition of "TNPer"?

TNP stands for The Nutnfancy Project. If you don't know who that is...I don't know what to say. A "TNPer" is someone who religiously follows Nutnfancy's desert escapades and hangs on his every word.

TNP stands for The Nutnfancy Project. If you don't know who that is...I don't know what to say. A "TNPer" is someone who religiously follows Nutnfancy's desert escapades and hangs on his every word.

Oh, ok. I have seen one or two of his videos, I think that guy is kind of retarded.

Oh, ok. I have seen one or two of his videos, I think that guy is kind of retarded.

I don't even dislike the guy, but his videos are soooo long and repetitive that it makes his stuff almost impossible to watch. He routinely spends 45 minutes reviewing something that shouldn't take him more than 10 or 15 minutes tops. On top of that, he may put out two or three additional 45 min videos of him testing said piece of gear in the Utah desert.

I think part of the problem is he just goes on and on and on and on.

For example some of his shot show videos are cool, but he goes up to the rep and almost talks more than the rep does.

Instead of saying something like. "Ok, I'm in a gun store. I want you to sell me this gun. Tell me why it is ****ing awesome. "

Then he could ask questions like "Hey what happened to the CBOB and the 10mms? " etc. Ask some questions that people might actually want to know the answers to.

That would take this 18 minute video and make it like 10... and deliver the same content. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom