Getting "tactical" at the range...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it these guys?

Yeah, but those guys seem pretty squared-away. I wish I could find guys to train like this with. I don't plan on fighting from a shooting bench.
To the OP: just maintain situational awareness if they start acting like asshats, safety-wise.

-JR

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't mind training like that. Those reloads were pretty smooth and quick. Thats something I know I have to work on, myself. Me and my buddy have a little 3-gun course set up at our range, so seeing this wouldn't bother me too much.

A few weeks ago there were a bunch of Asian dudes all decked out at MFLR. They had girls with them which I expect had something to do with it.

I think doing stuff like in the video Jose posted is good stuff. I mean "training" or whatever aside it just looks fun as hell. Showing up to an indoor range like that, though? Then, not even using the vest you've got on to practice quick reloading or whatever? I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that one.

The other time I'd have to call bullshit is if the person can't shoot worth a shit or if they're too fat to move. Nothing against fatties, I was heavy for 32 years or whatever, but if you're gonna show up to the range all tacticool you ought to be able to at least get out of your own way.

There is nothing wrong with using gear to train as you would fight.... Whether its a holster, spare mag pouch or a full kit.

My personal problem is the douche bags that want to look cool / mall ninjas... Those types are the ones to get themselves killed first.... They just want to look the part. [laugh].

[laugh2] Exactly!

Everybody knows that the only way to shoot is at a bench, single loading .22s, with a range safety officer carefully watching the line and making sure that nobody touches a gun or a mag unless the line is hot. Everything else is ridiculous, unsafe, or just stupid.

I was at the range saturday and I was running drills with my friends and I looked over and saw some guy standing still shooting hundreds of rounds at the same area. then he sat resting on a bench shooting at a target. When will you ever have that much time to stop and bench rest when being attacked.

Nothing wrong with that as long as they're not muzzle sweeping idiots.

If you own a carrier or load vest, and you never shoot in it I hope you never have to, because you're in for a surprise when you find out how much harder it is to move around.

Personally I'd rather see everyone showing up decked out and training. Then I might have a little more hope for our country.

personally I rather see this than deal with fudds all day long....

Nothing wrong with that as long as they're not muzzle sweeping idiots.

If you own a carrier or load vest, and you never shoot in it I hope you never have to, because you're in for a surprise when you find out how much harder it is to move around.

Personally I'd rather see everyone showing up decked out and training. Then I might have a little more hope for our country.

This.

Yeah, the general opinion here seems spot on. I plan on bringing my gear to the range to run it every so often. Sometimes what seems like a good, accessible place while standing becomes anything but when kneeling or prone. I'd like to find out on the shortcomings of my setup on my own time... not sure if I could bring myself to ever willingly practice mag changes again though.

I would still feel like an idiot showing up in all my gear.

I don't use that kind of gear, personally, but I have seen people use it in USPSA matches. I assumed they were, or are in, the service or LE. FINE BY ME!

Yeah, they usually are just tactiqueers that get made fun of at the matches. I have seen 1 guy at a matches that actually had any business wearing that gear

Agreed. At a place like Pelham where you have your own action pit, I dont really see a problem if they're being safe and not being douchebags. I would have a hard time showing up to a standard rifle range with a chest rig and practice mag changes. To each their own. Like xtry51 said, if you have one and don't train with it, you might as well put on a girdle.

Tactical girdle? I wonder if I could market that......

Last edited:
I love to see people out shooting, regardless of what they are decked out as. As long as things are safe, the more gun people the better! (tho i do have my share of "gear")

If i am in camo shorts, that's about as tactical as i get. Function before form.... hard lesson learned.

...If you own a carrier or load vest, and you never shoot in it I hope you never have to, because you're in for a surprise when you find out how much harder it is to move around. ...

You mean a big coffee can full of ammo with a string through it isn't gonna work?

Everybody knows that the only way to shoot is at a bench, single loading .22s, with a range safety officer carefully watching the line and making sure that nobody touches a gun or a mag unless the line is hot. Everything else is ridiculous, unsafe, or just stupid.
There is nothing wrong with semi auto fire. Just so long as you don't fire any faster than you could with a bolt action rifle...

Sadly, that is actually a near direct quote from a fudd.

OP, relax, it is not go time yet. All is well. [laugh]

TNPers for the win. Don't hate on em. ;)

But yeah; there isn't anything wrong with being all tactical 'n stuff. I guess it's just one way of doing things.

I took a carbine course once and they didn't even have benches set up. People were carrying extra rifle mags all over the place. And on top of that, everyone had loaded pistols in holsters while they were moving around shooting rifles!!! It was so traumatic that I've forgotten most of it, but I'm pretty sure about half of the class got killed. [hmmm]

Pelham is one exit up from the Rockingham Mall. You may have encountered some of their ninjas on a training exercise.

Saturday morning while getting everything together to go to the outdoor range, my son came down dressed in camo pants and an ARMY shirt. I got a chuckle out of it. So did he when I had him doing this,

2012-02-18_10-08-05_980.jpg

I wish the range would allow us to do more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom