Getting "tactical" at the range...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the range saturday and I was running drills with my friends and I looked over and saw some guy standing still shooting hundreds of rounds at the same area. then he sat resting on a bench shooting at a target. When will you ever have that much time to stop and bench rest when being attacked.

The plan is to take a ridge, and stay. lol

I would much rather get "tactical" at the range than get "FUDD" at the range.

I'm not some top tier operator. but I own a rig, and at least learned how to use it. It was quite a humbling experience at my first class.

Some in this thread are obviously not in the primary. [rofl]

-Mike

I have seen a small trend here & there towards fear and loathing of people who want to be able to fight with guns. " I saw a guy at the range yesterday who was doing something different than me. Now I must mock him , or ban him - because he made me feel ... weird. "

Or

" I saw a guy at the range do something that was dangerous , I left/reported/berated/shot him. And what he wore was irrelevant.

Personally - If the " end of the world " comes I'd rather not be confused with a soldier or LEO if I am not.
That said , I also practice shooting from the holster , reload drills , magazine changes with my rifles. etc.

I also respect the rules of my club , overall safety , and avoid irritating others. And if I do this in my worn work clothes , or my gorilla costume , or dressed like Paul Revere - so what ?

Awesome thread !!! LMAO. OP joined a wrong club, just join MA club and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

as cool as all these "high speed low drag" videos are, this has got to be my favorite

Last edited by a moderator:
I really couldn't care less what people wear to the range as long as it isn't outright offensive or vulgar...

That said, I find that many of the people who wear lots of tactical gear out to the range have absolutely no idea what they're doing - sometimes they are downright hazardous in terms of gun handling. Certainly this is a problem endemic among many shooters, not just these guys. I do take issue with people who dress up and then act like they know everything when it's clear they don't.

I'm disturbed by this reversal where some here clearly believe that shooting at paper from a static position is somehow inferior to shooting in a tacticool manner.

The two ranges that I frequent the most are heavily used by Marines and Navy personnel, many of whom are combat veterans - I've never seen any of them wearing full MOLLE getups or diving/rolling or any of that shit, and they're usually just shooting for fun at paper or clays.

i didn't witness them doing any kind of tactical shooting or diving/rolling around (the range conditions were extremely muddy do that would've been quite a site) but i only saw them for a moment while i was circling looking for an open range to use.

again, i'm not making fun...in fact the other purpose of the thread was to see how many of you guys practice this. it makes sense to me to practice shooting wearing what you would likely be wearing if "go time" occured.

I guess I'm failing to see the point of the thread. Did they put anyone else in danger? Were they being obnoxious and/or vulgar?

So if I set up multiple target stands at the range in a pit that no one else is using, and choose to not shoot from a static position...is someone going to make a thread about how tacti-cool I am for choosing to shoot from something other than a bench?

Whoever said "who cares, the more people that are out shooting the better" is 100% right. Honestly that supersedes anything I might have said.

The people saying "as long as they're being safe" are also 100% right.

I guess I'm failing to see the point of the thread. Did they put anyone else in danger? Were they being obnoxious and/or vulgar?

So if I set up multiple target stands at the range in a pit that no one else is using, and choose to not shoot from a static position...is someone going to make a thread about how tacti-cool I am for choosing to shoot from something other than a bench?

if you're having trouble with seeing the point of this thread, go to post #1, read my statement, then read my question.

This thread just confirms my view of humanity. The Fudds make fun of the tactical guys who make fun of the gamers who make fun of the cowboy action guys who make fun of the plinkers who make fun of the Fudds. All of humanity is ridiculous to somebody else. Learn to live with it, do what makes you happy, and try just a little harder to care less about the preferences of others.

Dude, it's all in jest. Just a lil ribbing at the expense of some tacticool operators. ;) I would be doing the same with FUDDS or Cowlicks. I myself love weapons and tactics as much as the next guy.

Dude, it's all in jest. Just a lil ribbing at the expense of some tacticool operators. ;) I myself love weapons and tactics as much as the next guy.

Oh OK, I get it now. I wasn't sure if the guys that were shooting at the shooting range were OK to be doing that there. But it's all good now, thanks for clearing it up for me.

[smile]

This thread just confirms my view of humanity. The Fudds make fun of the tactical guys who make fun of the gamers who make fun of the cowboy action guys who make fun of the plinkers who make fun of the Fudds. All of humanity is ridiculous to somebody else. Learn to live with it, do what makes you happy, and try just a little harder to care less about the preferences of others.

Then I guess I need to strive to be a tier 1 tactical gaming dude that can swing a six-shooter and plink with the best of them. [wink]

I enjoy all forms of shooting, shooting sports (well, I have never worn a cowboy hat while shooting), and training like you your fighting. As far as I am concerned, someone that questions you about what you have, what you do with it, and why you need it, is a bit fuddly.

Reminds me of this:
its_all_geek_to_me.jpg

[wink]

Only time I go to the range these days is to test/chrono ammo. And even then, I almost always seem to come across some FUDD/Range Nazi/Mall Ninja/Airsoft Warrior/Cowboy/Bullseye/Black Powder/Tactikewl type (select any one of these) that seems to think they are some kind of expert in all things gun related and just can't accept that I don't set up a target while using a chronograph, or shoot only 10 rounds at a time, or shoot those 10 rounds too quickly, or not fast enough, or [insert something else I'm not doing right here]. Every other range visit I will hear at some point or other: "You know, you really should have a target set up when you're doing that....", etc. My typical range visits are less than 30 minutes and many times I'm in and out in less than 20 minutes and that includes chrono set up and take down. I don't go and shoot for practice or pleasure any more...go figure...

Only time I go to the range these days is to test/chrono ammo. And even then, I almost always seem to come across some FUDD/Range Nazi/Mall Ninja/Airsoft Warrior/Cowboy/Bullseye/Black Powder/Tactikewl type (select any one of these) that seems to think they are some kind of expert in all things gun related and just can't accept that I don't set up a target while using a chronograph, or shoot only 10 rounds at a time, or shoot those 10 rounds too quickly, or not fast enough, or [insert something else I'm not doing right here]. Every other range visit I will hear at some point or other: "You know, you really should have a target set up when you're doing that....", etc. My typical range visits are less than 30 minutes and many times I'm in and out in less than 20 minutes and that includes chrono set up and take down. I don't go and shoot for practice or pleasure any more...go figure...
I can say for certain that you are doing it wrong... [laugh] That's no fun...

No one says anything to me about my range habits. If they did, I certainly would not concern myself with their feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom