• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Friend Interested In Antique Firearms

Where's the best place online to mingle with folks specializing in pre-1899 firearms that don't use readily available, modern ammunition?

I'm making progress on turning a neutral more pro, and his first interest is in picking up something with collector/investment/historical value that doesn't require any kind of license to own.

As for the modern stuff and actually shooting, he did some shooting years ago and actually wanted to come to Saturday's car shoot, but had a family conflict. Hopefully he'll join in next time!!

Thanks in advance for your guidance...

What's considered 'ammo' as far as MA is concerned? I assume that anything in cartridge form would require a LTC to posess. What about something using black powder and ball? Are those considered components?

Even if they do, it's a great way to get someone on the fence over to our side. Especially if they end up being required to get a FID or LTC in order to shoot their non-firearm.

What's considered 'ammo' as far as MA is concerned? I assume that anything in cartridge form would require a LTC to posess. What about something using black powder and ball? Are those considered components?

Even if they do, it's a great way to get someone on the fence over to our side. Especially if they end up being required to get a FID or LTC in order to shoot their non-firearm.

Yes, you need at least an FID to possess projectiles, powder, cartridges, casings or primers.

As for the actual firearms, here's the definition of antique exemption from MA law, Chapter 140, Section 121:

The provisions of sections 122 to 129D, inclusive, and sections 131, 131A, 131B and 131E shall not apply to:

(A) any firearm, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or prior to the year 1899;

(B) any replica of any firearm, rifle or shotgun described in clause (A) if such replica: (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade;
IANAL, but it seems clear to me that this means a Colt Single Action Army actually MADE in December 1898 would be legal to buy/sell/possess with no license whatsoever, but (of course) you need a license for a modern production SAA because it fires 45LC cartridges, which are commonly available. Conversely, anyone can own a black powder firearm, or one that fires cartridges no longer "readily available", even if manufactured yesterday.

I like the way you think... I should get him to buy something pre-1899 that can fire modern ammo, to get him interested in getting licensed so he can actually buy and possess ammo for his very own piece of history!

Of course, we all saw the lunacy that happened to Mark Witaschek down in DC, so you never know just how full retard a given MA judge might go!

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/

british militaria forums is my favourite.

we even have new england shoots from time to time where we of course shoot sniders and martinis but we also drift into US antique firearms.
Outstanding, thank you!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom