• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FRB/LTC Renewal

SFC13557

NES Member
just called Firearms Record Bureau to check on status of my renewal. I was told it was approved and would not be sent Leominster PD until current license expires at end of month. HUH!

Maybe they don't want extra un-expired cards in circulation? Seems like a guaranteed way to ensure that you have a gap where you don't hold an active license in hand though.

How long ago did you start the renewal process? I'm up in about 6 months and was wondering when to start myself.

Maybe they don't want extra un-expired cards in circulation? Seems like a guaranteed way to ensure that you have a gap where you don't hold an active license in hand though.

How long ago did you start the renewal process? I'm up in about 6 months and was wondering when to start myself.
2 months ago because Leominster wasn't doing interviews so the procedure was fill out renewal form, PO check and copy of LTC and Drivers License and drop off a Station. When I dropped off the packet 21 May the woman who handles renewals wasn't there so didn't get a receipt. Gave it to Desk SGT. who stated he would put it on her desk . At least I know I'm good to go.

The new LTC date of issue is your birthday, the same day your current LTC expires. Once my town said they were doing re-renewals by mail I sent mine in March and my LTC expires this October. I received my new LTC in 21 days and it sits in my safe until my birthday.

The new LTC date of issue is your birthday, the same day your current LTC expires. Once my town said they were doing re-renewals by mail I sent mine in March and my LTC expires this October. I received my new LTC in 21 days and it sits in my safe until my birthday.
correct but I never have been told they won't issue my new LTC until my old one expires. Previously when State approved they send new LTC to PD and then they notify me it's ready for pickup or they will mail it to me.

You should start today.

I’ll call the licensing officer. I think last renewal I tried to get in touch 90 days ahead and he told me to call back in a couple of months. But you’re right, I should get in touch.

Daughter renewed in Boston by email on April 30. Her current one expires in December. She received her new LTC in June with her new pin. New license not active until Decembet

Daughter renewed in Boston by email on April 30. Her current one expires in December. She received her new LTC in June with her new pin. New license not active until Decembet

That's similar to what has happened to me in previous years when my non-resident renewals have been done processing before the previous license expires. (As an an NR, my license is sent to me directly by FRB).

just called Firearms Record Bureau to check on status of my renewal. I was told it was approved and would not be sent Leominster PD until current license expires at end of month. HUH!

They're just making excuses to drag ass, as long as you have the cjis renewal printout receipt there's nothing to even worry or care about. I even bought guns with my receipt.

I don't have one, how do I obtain it?

If you didn't get one from LPD, they f***ed up. This should have been given to you when they filed your renewal. If you think you are going to go "over" and want it, call the PD and
get it. My LO in Fitchburg took my pic while I was standing in the PD garage, and literally no more than 10 minutes later he came out to my car with the receipt.

If you didn't get one from LPD, they f***ed up. This should have been given to you when they filed your renewal. If you think you are going to go "over" and want it, call the PD and
get it. My LO in Fitchburg took my pic while I was standing in the PD garage, and literally no more than 10 minutes later he came out to my car with the receipt.
I stated that when I dropped off application Licensing official wasn't in and I just handed it to desk Sergeant because there were no interviews or face to face interviews. I've emailed her asking for receipt and she doesn't reply. She won't take calls on licenses, she has a recorded message with instructions on renewals.

I stated that when I dropped off application Licensing official wasn't in and I just handed it to desk Sergeant because there were no interviews or face to face interviews. I've emailed her asking for receipt and she doesn't reply. She won't take calls on licenses, she has a recorded message with instructions on renewals.

You live in that town, you vote. Call your local representatives and make a clear statement about your issue.

Or wait and hope.

Ditto. I have trouble crediting the statement attributed to FRB.

My renewal was approved and at the station in time for my expiration, but due to unexpected situations, was not "available" till a while later.

A quick voicemail and it was in my mail box the next day.

Granted it wasnt a covid related renewal

Any idea if the new pin is active immediately, or did someone go to the trouble of writing the code to have it switch over at expiration?

Any idea if the new pin is active immediately, or did someone go to the trouble of writing the code to have it switch over at expiration?
Each LTC has its' own number and has its' own PIN attached to it. The old LTC expires and the new one takes effect on the same day, there is no carry over from old to new.

Extra useless mass.gov website says-

Currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between July 6 and July 19.

Actually, not useless at all. This just proves that any delays on issuing the LTC to the applicant is in the hands of the local LO, not the state

Each LTC has its' own number and has its' own PIN attached to it. The old LTC expires and the new one takes effect on the same day, there is no carry over from old to new.
^ This.
Just ask anyone who threw out their existing LTC as soon as the new one arrived,
and then tried to buy a gun with the new not-yet-active LTC.

called FRB this morning and they said they mailed it to Leominster PD last week. I called and emailed K Gammell who processes firearms licenses and no reply. I'm debating driving down there and asking to see her.

Anyone know if the hotline works for non-res?

Is it a person, or an automated system?

I sent my renewal early April for my non-res but haven't heard anything, got about a month left until expiration, and non-res has no grace period.

Anyone know if the hotline works for non-res?

Is it a person, or an automated system?

I sent my renewal early April for my non-res but haven't heard anything, got about a month left until expiration, and non-res has no grace period.

I sent my NR renewal application in around the same time. I received my confirmation email on 8 MAY 2020. I have used the 617-660-4782 number from the information sheet to inquire about application status in the past. You may want to give that a try.When I have called that number, I have always been able to speak to a real person.

I sent my NR renewal application in around the same time. I received my confirmation email on 8 MAY 2020. I have used the 617-660-4782 number from the information sheet to inquire about application status in the past. You may want to give that a try.When I have called that number, I have always been able to speak to a real person.
My concern is that I did not receive a confirmation email this year, but my money order did get deposited about two weeks after I mailed the application--so it got "somewhere."

I'll give them a call, thanks.

Ask when she will be around and show up.

Back
Top Bottom